DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #8,687 of 13,478
Still enjoying the music IMG_20191015_133246.jpg

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #8,688 of 13,478
Anyone in the Bay Area knows how to do the ex mod for Amp8? I heard this mod is not for the faint-hearted.

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #8,691 of 13,478
Anyone in the Bay Area knows how to do the ex mod for Amp8? I heard this mod is not for the faint-hearted.

I wish I could hear an EX modded AMP8 and compared it to the modded one I bought.

The mod EX is not that hard if you have skills and carefulness based on @Whitigir suggestions. Besides you also have enough tools to do the job.

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #8,692 of 13,478
The mod EX is not that hard if you have skills and carefulness based on @Whitigir suggestions. Besides you also have enough tools to do the job.

I asked him if someone like me who has never touched a solderer can pull it off. He said probably not. I trust Vince as he is quite experienced. That being said, I don't mind trying it, worst case I'm out $250. I'm just glad my DX220 is already ex modded. The ex mod on the main DAP is suppose to make the biggest difference.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #8,693 of 13,478
I asked him if someone like me who has never touched a solderer can pull it off. He said probably not. I trust Vince as he is quite experienced. That being said, I don't mind trying it, worst case I'm out $250. I'm just glad my DX220 is already ex modded. The ex mod on the main DAP is suppose to make the biggest difference.
If you do not have experience soldering, I would not start on this. I have soldered for many, many years and this would not be what I would start on. For one, you have to desolder form the PCB, have the right type of tips and skill.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #8,697 of 13,478

Its all your Fault! ... :), the constant chat about this mod has now gone and got me curious too. I used to work in component level repair of computers back in the 80's and build racing Quad copters these days for fun, so I guess my soldering skills should cut it. Just ordered all the caps and tape from Mouser, I have some SS-47 and the tools, Also found Advanced MP3 Players had an AMP8 open box with £50 off :). So my total cost should be no more than a new AMP8.

In going to stage the build and get impressions at each change to see how this mod improves the sound.

I kept resisting but you made me do it !!! ...:)

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #8,698 of 13,478
Its all your Fault! ... :), the constant chat about this mod has now gone and got me curious too. I used to work in component level repair of computers back in the 80's and build racing Quad copters these days for fun, so I guess my soldering skills should cut it. Just ordered all the caps and tape from Mouser, I have some SS-47 and the tools, Also found Advanced MP3 Players had an AMP8 open box with £50 off :). So my total cost should be no more than a new AMP8.

In going to stage the build and get impressions at each change to see how this mod improves the sound.

I kept resisting but you made me do it !!! ...:)
Just take your time and be careful of the traces, as you can lift them. I did one and ran a wire to replace the trace. The AMP8EX is superb sounding. Like a desktop amp, but a really good one, big, open, transparent and dynamic. Lots of fun!

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #8,699 of 13,478
Just take your time and be careful of the traces, as you can lift them. I did one and ran a wire to replace the trace. The AMP8EX is superb sounding. Like a desktop amp, but a really good one, big, open, transparent and dynamic. Lots of fun!

I killed my amp8 once by lifting the pads but Vince showed that I blew away the 2 tiny resistors too. So I did give up for awhile but will try another one.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #8,700 of 13,478
Just take your time and be careful of the traces, as you can lift them. I did one and ran a wire to replace the trace.

Will do, Honestly it sounds fun. Im Loving both the AMP9 and the AMP1mk2 so this make sence as my next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back