DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #7,937 of 13,478
Hey, all. I tried my questions over on the Help forum, even knowing that this mega-thread existed, but was kindly directed here anyway. So hello and thanks for letting me jump into the conversation. :)

Love the DX220 so far! Great device for my many wants and desires. I have a few questions regarding Bluetooth that I haven't been able to answer through extensive fooling around (technical term), or by searching sites, reviews, and threads:
  1. Streaming Tidal from my iPad Pro to the DX220, I never see any greater than 44.1kHz with Master tracks. I have tried all the Bluetooth combos in the developer options to no effect. Limits of IOS and the Bluetooth codec perhaps? Of course Tidal streams at full kHz just fine on the DX220 itself (and it sounds AMAZING).
  2. My iPad gets kicked off the DX220 when I am not streaming. This means I need to go over to the DX220, hit the power button, then reconnect on my iPad through its Bluetooth settings. Not the end of the world, but not something I want to have to do repeatedly either. The only thing I could think to try was to turn sleep off in system settings, but that didn't help ultimately.
  3. Speaking of developer options, some of them stick, some of them don't. When I modify the Bluetooth Audio Codec, or Playback Quality, or Sample Rate -- then exit Options and come back -- I find everything has reverted back to default. Is that normal behavior? If I get 1 and 2 answered above then I kind of don't care that much, but still curious.
Thanks in advance. My questions aren't show-stoppers, but it would be nice to use the DX220 as a Bluetooth receiver in total.

Which audio codec was being used?

AFAIK only aptx HD and LDAC allow 48kHz streaming

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #7,938 of 13,478
I did connect dx220 to Topping dx7s using USB port successfully.
But fail on burson swing, so it would need to try out to know per gear.
However, I do agree with @twister6 , dx220 has batter dac, so using line out is the.
Way I would go.

Would you be so kind to describe how you did it exactly? With android, original fw, lurker addon or mango os?

I have no luck connecting dx220 with chord hugo2, only works with lurker fw through uapp, but with constant clicks and slowing signal, so not usable at all l. :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #7,939 of 13,478
If I'm not fan of the M11, I find it lacks warmth and sounds to clean for my liking, would I like the DX220 more? Would look at adding Fidelizer ROM and even get him to mod it but the extra cost over the M11 has me seconding guessing myself and since I can't compare them personally I figured I'd ask here.
I really didn't like the sound of the M11 at first but after burning it in for 100+ hours now I'm starting to like it more but I'm still drawn towards the DX220.
So really I have a couple questions. Would I like the DX220 if I don't like the M11 and for anyone with Fidelizer hardware mods are they worth it and would you recommend them?
A little confused by the post,prob just the way I am reading it. You don’t like leanness of the M11 and now you are beginning to like it. So,difficult to answer in the way you have framed it. But,I have both. I love both,think they are both exceptional. On pure sound quality the ibasso does win,if played using Mango OS. And yes,it is a warmer,fuller sound. There are things I do prefer about the M11 and would not part with it but,if I had to part with one I would keep the 220. My device is not subject to mods,it’s excellent as it is.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #7,940 of 13,478
A little confused by the post,prob just the way I am reading it. You don’t like leanness of the M11 and now you are beginning to like it. So,difficult to answer in the way you have framed it. But,I have both. I love both,think they are both exceptional. On pure sound quality the ibasso does win,if played using Mango OS. And yes,it is a warmer,fuller sound. There are things I do prefer about the M11 and would not part with it but,if I had to part with one I would keep the 220. My device is not subject to mods,it’s excellent as it is.

I'm going to spend more time with the M11 now that I've burnt in my headphones and see if I feel any different about them. I likely end up returning them and get the 220 instead. There's a lot I like about the M11, I just want more.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #7,941 of 13,478
Would you be so kind to describe how you did it exactly? With android, original fw, lurker addon or mango os?

I have no luck connecting dx220 with chord hugo2, only works with lurker fw through uapp, but with constant clicks and slowing signal, so not usable at all l. :frowning2:
About uapp you need to open uapp before connect to a dac(with dac on)

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #7,942 of 13,478
I'm going to spend more time with the M11 now that I've burnt in my headphones and see if I feel any different about them. I likely end up returning them and get the 220 instead. There's a lot I like about the M11, I just want more.
I guess that’s like each and every one of us! I couldn’t part with it. It drives most headphones,the best combo I have found is with Nighthawk Carbons which have a naturally rich sound. I like it’s Bluetooth capabilities,fiio link,the large screen,it’s stability,battery life,the range of headphone connectivity.The price is a steal. Yes,the 220 has the better sound but,for me,only really appreciable when using Mango OS. I would recommend it though,I am totally in love with it.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #7,943 of 13,478
Hey, all. I tried my questions over on the Help forum, even knowing that this mega-thread existed, but was kindly directed here anyway. So hello and thanks for letting me jump into the conversation. :)

Love the DX220 so far! Great device for my many wants and desires. I have a few questions regarding Bluetooth that I haven't been able to answer through extensive fooling around (technical term), or by searching sites, reviews, and threads:
  1. Streaming Tidal from my iPad Pro to the DX220, I never see any greater than 44.1kHz with Master tracks. I have tried all the Bluetooth combos in the developer options to no effect. Limits of IOS and the Bluetooth codec perhaps? Of course Tidal streams at full kHz just fine on the DX220 itself (and it sounds AMAZING).
  2. My iPad gets kicked off the DX220 when I am not streaming. This means I need to go over to the DX220, hit the power button, then reconnect on my iPad through its Bluetooth settings. Not the end of the world, but not something I want to have to do repeatedly either. The only thing I could think to try was to turn sleep off in system settings, but that didn't help ultimately.
  3. Speaking of developer options, some of them stick, some of them don't. When I modify the Bluetooth Audio Codec, or Playback Quality, or Sample Rate -- then exit Options and come back -- I find everything has reverted back to default. Is that normal behavior? If I get 1 and 2 answered above then I kind of don't care that much, but still curious.
Thanks in advance. My questions aren't show-stoppers, but it would be nice to use the DX220 as a Bluetooth receiver in total.

You won’t find this documented anywhere officially, but the DX220 only does SBC when acting as a Bluetooth receiver. AptX HD and LDAC only work when transmitting.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #7,945 of 13,478
Which audio codec was being used?

AFAIK only aptx HD and LDAC allow 48kHz streaming

Yeah, pretty sure this confirms it is a codec send from IOS issue. Apple doesn’t support either LDAC or AptX at this point on IOS as far as I can tell. They completely obfuscate that information on their mobile devices, so I’m going off of internet consensus.

For anyone else who, like me, is searching forums to figure out why their iPhone or iPad won’t stream MQA quality to the dx220–this is it.

Looks like I will be in the market for a cheap Android tablet! Thanks for the responses!

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #7,946 of 13,478
Yeah, pretty sure this confirms it is a codec send from IOS issue. Apple doesn’t support either LDAC or AptX at this point on IOS as far as I can tell. They completely obfuscate that information on their mobile devices, so I’m going off of internet consensus.

For anyone else who, like me, is searching forums to figure out why their iPhone or iPad won’t stream MQA quality to the dx220–this is it.

Looks like I will be in the market for a cheap Android tablet! Thanks for the responses!

No, sorry, the limitation is the DX220 here. I've confirmed this with iBasso after months trying to figure this out. In the end, I only got an answer when I asked a very specific yes or no question: does the DX220 support AAC/AptX/LDAC when acting as a receiver/Bluetooth DAC. They told me no.

To be clear: though iBasso advertises the devices as two-way bluetooth 5.0 with AAC/AptX/LDAC codecs, the truth is that those codecs only work in one direction (when transmitting to headphones). Your views may differ, but this makes the DX220 almost worthless as a Bluetooth DAC.

That said, it is indeed great that AptX HD is supported (though apparently unofficially).

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #7,947 of 13,478
You won’t find this documented anywhere officially, but the DX220 only does SBC when acting as a Bluetooth receiver. AptX HD and LDAC only work when transmitting.

Ah! OK. So regardless of sending device, nobody gets over 44.1k.

I am really surprised this didn’t show up in the half dozen reviews I read. And I am doubly surprised it wouldn’t be documented. That seems like a miss to me.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #7,948 of 13,478
Ah! OK. So regardless of sending device, nobody gets over 44.1k.

I am really surprised this didn’t show up in the half dozen reviews I read. And I am doubly surprised it wouldn’t be documented. That seems like a miss to me.

100% agree with you here. Unfortunately this is something that we need to bring attention to. I think it is a major oversight (and slightly misleading, which is very disappointing since I think highly of the company and the DX220 overall).

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #7,949 of 13,478
No, sorry, the limitation is the DX220 here. I've confirmed this with iBasso after months trying to figure this out. In the end, I only got an answer when I asked a very specific yes or no question: does the DX220 support AAC/AptX/LDAC when acting as a receiver/Bluetooth DAC. They told me no.

To be clear: though iBasso advertises the devices as two-way bluetooth 5.0 with AAC/AptX/LDAC codecs, the truth is that those codecs only work in one direction (when transmitting to headphones). Your views may differ, but this makes the DX220 almost worthless as a Bluetooth DAC.

That said, it is indeed great that AptX HD is supported (though apparently unofficially).

Thank you so much. You rock for providing this info.

I guess I will hold out for a firmware update to fix? I mean, there are plenty of other features that I will use. Disappointed though that the iBasso team was cagey about this one.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,950 of 13,478
This is what the DX220 will do in BT:

send: SBC, AAC, aptX, LDAC, LDAC is 24/96

receive: SBC only. 16/48.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back