DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 20, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #331 of 13,478
Perfect. Thanks for the affirmation.
You are trying to connect dx200 into Mojo ? Or do you have a preferences with optical ?

Here is a package from amazon that also include different cables for you to try it out including toslink and Spdif

Also, different Toslink or SPDIF cables would then be affecting your quality too. The better Spdif connection will outperform the Toslink though :). I am sure dx220 will still have this function.

One of the reason why I stay with dx200 platform is how versatile it is, for everything

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #332 of 13,478
You are trying to connect dx200 into Mojo ? Or do you have a preferences with optical ?

Here is a package from amazon that also include different cables for you to try it out including toslink and Spdif

Also, different Toslink or SPDIF cables would then be affecting your quality too. The better Spdif connection will outperform the Toslink though :). I am sure dx220 will still have this function.

One of the reason why I stay with dx200 platform is how versatile it is, for everything

I currently use my Questyle QP1R DAP via Toslink optical as a transport for my music server at home into the DAVE and HMS. It works great but the user interface for the QP1R is cumbersome and I also want to be able to stream from TIDAL or Qobuz.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #335 of 13,478

F36BDD84-59CF-41E7-81B3-54C2FA7C5920.jpeg
1DD4BDF5-477B-460F-96E5-7F4680E3A365.jpeg

I might head up there to Fujiya Avic on Sunday and check out the DX220 depending on family plans.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #337 of 13,478
I see! The DX200 has optical out, but I never tried it long enough. I believe I tried it a while ago...so long, and it works just fine. I always use SPDIF instead of optical where I can.

Just for clarification, both digital Optical (Toslink) and digital Coaxial (wired connection, usually via 75 ohm RCA) are a S/PDIF format connection. We differentiate between the two types by using the terms "Optical" and "Coaxial".

And a Coaxial digital connection is not always superior to an Optical (Toslink) connection. All interconnected digital equipment, including the DAC or ADC & associated circuitry, are sensitive to Ground Loop issues, which the Optical connection can help to minimize via isolation.

I'm really eager to hear what the new DX220 is all about on Sunday. I will say that I will be very disappointed if the processor is not significantly upgraded from the laggy DX200.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #340 of 13,478
So torn over waiting on this, or getting an SPKM now...excited for Sunday's news.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #341 of 13,478
So torn over waiting on this, or getting an SPKM now...excited for Sunday's news.

Well, SPKM won’t get NuTubes any time soon :wink:

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #343 of 13,478
I hope they update the SoC. The FiiO M11 uses an SoC with 2xA73 cores. Especially for floating point intensive tasks there's a massive difference to the small A53 cores (even using NEON). The RK3399 which is in use with Android TV boxes for a long while has 2xA72 cores. I would rather have 4 or 6 cores with 2xA72 than 8xA53.

For M11: "The performance of Exynos 7872 is on the top list of music player’s SoC, and we also took full advantage of it and developed some new features such as ALL TO DSD (can transfer the PCM formats files to DSD), better dynamic EQ and decoding iSO tracks in DST codec, etc. All of these better experience and sound quality are brought by the high performance SoC."

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #345 of 13,478
I would leave the sound quality aside. SPKM sounds wonderful, though there are DAPs some people like more. My point is more practical:

- SPKM is from an older generation of DAPs. There has been some updates since then, like wireless DAC technology exists even with most recent entry level players. SPK does not have that. For portable use cases like watching something from your mobile through your DAP wirelessly I find it a very useful feature.

- M11, for example from FiiO, has a much better CPU/SoC. That would help with having additional DSP features. Also helps with the slow Android UI. Using Qobuz, for example, on SPKM was pretty slow. At least I wasn't happy with it.

- The side buttons are a problem on SPKM. Very small and close to each other.

Otherwise SPkM is a great sounding DAP. For my use cases wasn't just there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back