DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 15, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,986 of 13,478
Your ears have gotten used to the signature of the dx220 that's why it doesn't have as big of impact. :wink: and I'll find out the capacitance of the nichicons when I have a looksee. Which might be a bit.

I don't believe that. While I was burning it in I was listening little to it. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm standing by my impression.

Everyone can talk, and criticize, but not everyone can get the works done.

In the modifications world, we respect people who can actually pick up an iron, knows how to read schematic, realize what needs to be done, and understand the “how, and why”. I can assure you that when someone don’t even know how to “pick up and work around a solder iron”, will always criticizes on “mod”, and real “DIY” always respect one another

:)

I am with what @Paul - iBasso stated . An excellent design are highly responsive, hence with each modifications there are perceivable changes, whether it is positive to the person who modified it or negative, they have the choice to tune it to their preferences. Also, every manufacturer have their own sound signature and guidelines that they would love to keep. Ibasso has done a pretty consistent jobs of keeping up their own house sound, and that is why Ibasso using what they do.

From my point of views, for a device of sub $1,000 to have similar build, components, and even better engineered than some $3,000 devices....Ibasso is the only one who can pull it off. This is the reason why I am staying with Ibasso, and there are other reasons: fast firmware release, supporting older devices, friendly customer services, friendly toward DIY people, friendly after sale services, always open to new ideas, feedbacks

Cool beans but none of this changes things that were written plainly and have nothing to do with me, and in fact, a house sound or any other such nonsensical euphemism. Also, the ZX300 has those caps at as little as like $300-400 for the whole thing. It goes without saying I'm not looking for anyone's respect. I just have what I think are reasonable standards, and I believe the thread bears this out.

May 15, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,988 of 13,478
Well, well, well. Look what was on the front doorstep when I came home. Time to get to burnin in. Should be 200 hrs by next Thursday at 8 PM...ahh the suspense! Amazingly it came in two days as others have reported as I’ve said before, DHL worldwide is awesome, DHL in the States kind of sucks...Cheers.

2EB437B3-68F9-4B00-B619-7932861D76DE.jpeg

May 15, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,990 of 13,478
Well, well, well. Look what was on the front doorstep when I came home. Time to get to burnin in. Should be 200 hrs by next Thursday at 8 PM...ahh the suspense! Amazingly it came in two days as others have reported as I’ve said before, DHL worldwide is awesome, DHL in the States kind of sucks...Cheers.

Mine sounds nice right out of the box :wink: And here I ordered off Amazon thinking it would be faster. I did get some free cables and a Walmart.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2,991 of 13,478
Not for me when the DAP is off... But ok when it's powered on. I reported that to Paul, he said the software team is working on the firmware for this...

Oh yes, I wanted to ask about this, noticed quick charging wasn't working on mine, didn't think to try while it is turned on, will do that now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2,992 of 13,478
There must be a degree program for that now - from the school of hard knocks and countless dollars spent chasing Golden Unicorns!! Welcome to the club that the rest of us have been in for countless years...

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #2,993 of 13,478
What do you mean?

So, I was not clear, I was trying to indicate that I thought YOU were calling BS on modifications to the iBasso, implying a false dilemma that either the modifications were BS, or that they were good, and iBasso was dropping the ball by not building their product AS MODIFIED by others. I was, in an odd sort of way, defending you, and claiming that your underlying curiosity about the efficacy and sonic value of the mods could have been responded to in a non-snarky way.

I was also trying to point out that the mods (at least those I've seen pictured) are one-offs that could not really be done in a (mass)-production environment. (I'm guessing you have never seen automated board-stuffing machines, or pick and place, wave soldering, and the like.... The longer leads on the caps may or may not be relevant to their performance and the overall performance of the circuit. The mods manage to 'cram' them into the available space by kludging the connections, rather than them being able to stand-up, and have their butts sit flush on the board. I have not studied the circuit, am not anti-mod in any way, and have build a bunch of gear from schematics, including laying out and ordering 2-layer through-hole board to use for the build(s). I am not an ee, but have had very good mentors and such. Vince has been very forthright sharing his mod plans and discussing them-this is not a criticism of him in any way.

There is also a certain background context about audiophiles believing in the sonic superiority of certain "magic parts" which were almost always waaay more expensive than the "stock" parts. There was much discussion comparing one brand/range of caps to others; likewise for resistors, connectors, tubes and op amps,,,,,, Parts prices are in part determined by how many mass-produced items use them. The Panasonic caps are stocked in very large quantities by the big parts houses, presumably because lots of companies use them in large quantities. It's not like iBasso missed an opportunity to make their amp(s) better by shunning 'cheap parts' for even cheaper parts. They used what fit the design goals, and the physical size, and that would be able to be mass-built to keep the price down. There is always a way to improve a good or great circuit with better (usually more expensive) parts in critical locations.

May 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2,994 of 13,478
And what cap would that be?

Big caps in AMP1? They're Nichicon. They changed from double cap to larger single cap design, more closer to mine.

May 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,995 of 13,478
Nice :L3000: thats going to be one awesome sounding dx220 when its finished (post some pics :thumbsup:). I have so many mod ideas on my todo list but hardly any free time. I never even got to swap the dacs on my dx150 before I sold it. Still have the 2 AK4493 in my parts drawer next to 2 WM8741 dacs still waiting to go in my xuelin :worried:

Thank you. I'm sure it'll sound nice like I worked on his DX200 before. :)

May 15, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #2,998 of 13,478
Is fast charging working for anyone?
Only when is On... either in Pure Mango or Android Mango... using Samsung Note 8 Stock charger.
When its off. fast charging not working... I believe paul teams will work on that

btw, was fall a sleep, and when wake up, a bunch of message was alrd pop out... this thread is burning... hehehe...
Still there are some of asked about DX220 in Solaris Thread, well its hot topic that can't be contain...
its Good right? means we have different sound Sig likeness and try to get to that one point of satisfaction (Where this is back to the personal him/her self) and perfection (if do exist).

I have enjoy my quest, and My current gear is where I enjoy the most of time. So is this end game?

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #2,999 of 13,478
Only when is On... either in Pure Mango or Android Mango... using Samsung Note 8 Stock charger.
When its off. fast charging not working... I believe paul will work on that

Does it say fast charging when it's charging? Because I'm using my stock charger from my Samsung galaxy 10, and I don't think it's working.

May 15, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,000 of 13,478
Does it say fast charging when it's charging? Because I'm using my stock charger from my Samsung galaxy 10, and I don't think it's working.
No, it doesn't say anything.
But when u left charge when its on. Roughly take 1-2 hour to full charge from 20%. While if turn it off, charge from 30%, next 2 hours not yet full. roughly around 70-80%...

it gives idea that we need notifications about that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back