DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,957 of 13,478
In any case, has anyone tried line out on the DX220 to a separate amp?

If so, how did said amp perform compared to the amp modules?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,959 of 13,478
I don't think this mod stuff is a spitting contest at all (no need to respond to icefalkon as without you implying he's there I don't see what he has to say). From the start I've written that I recall the Sony ZX300 doing something special and enjoyable with imaging that I didn't really hear from the DX220. If these cheap caps could account for that - they were associated with depth by the person who changed them on his amp; if you were to look at my impressions in the IER-Z1R thread you'll see that I pick up on depth in particular with the ZX300 - that is a pretty big deal. This is a "hobby" in which people spend hundreds of dollars exactly for effects like this, yet when one appears to be cheaply available not many have a taste for it only because it makes for uncomfortable conversation. People in essence put social concerns over their money, which is absolutely terrible. This isn't a social forum and many are already making hipster complaints about how prices have run away over the years. How could they not run away with this attitude?

May 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,960 of 13,478
In any case, has anyone tried line out on the DX220 to a separate amp?

If so, how did said amp perform compared to the amp modules?
That would be nice. Please just about the DX220. We won't all ever agree, no reason to, but a more monitored posting would be nice.

A separate thread for modifications, which has already been made, would be good to use.

I have been using the DX220 with the Manley Absolute Amp and the combination is exceptional. There are times I just stare off into space and this goes to how good the DX220 is and the Absolute. I will say that I also get exceptional results with the AMP8 and the Ether II.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,962 of 13,478
Hi I'm not getting an indication 'fast charging' is taking place. But I'm using a fast charger, is there something I have to do? Nope fast charging definitely is not working on android, hmm.

Thanks. Oh btw I like the sound, but mango is a bit sluggish. I think I'll stick with android until things are buttoned up. Also the unit is getting very hot, I mean like mojo hot. I'll keep an eye on this. That said the hardware is beautiful, and I can't wait to put some hours on it- I have to try balanced, but I'm impressed with the single out- a nice big stage with excellent imaging.

Pic, yes it's big compared my other daps :)

20190515_130002.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #2,963 of 13,478
I don't think this mod stuff is a spitting contest at all (no need to respond to icefalkon as without you implying he's there I don't see what he has to say). From the start I've written that I recall the Sony ZX300 doing something special and enjoyable with imaging that I didn't really hear from the DX220. If these cheap caps could account for that - they were associated with depth by the person who changed them on his amp; if you were to look at my impressions in the IER-Z1R thread you'll see that I pick up on depth in particular with the ZX300 - that is a pretty big deal. This is a "hobby" in which people spend hundreds of dollars exactly for effects like this, yet when one appears to be cheaply available not many have a taste for it only because it makes for uncomfortable conversation. People in essence put social concerns over their money, which is absolutely terrible. This isn't a social forum and many are already making hipster complaints about how prices have run away over the years. How could they not run away with this attitude?

I kind of get where you are coming from in regards to mods however for me personally I have no inclination to mod what I already perceive as a product that suits my needs in terms of sound quality. The only mods I consider are the amp modules.
Now here's the rub for me, if ibasso used the parts that others use in mods it may change the sound to a signature I dislike. I like the sound they produce now, what other users think is great after modding I might think is terrible (unlikely but you get my drift).

May 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2,964 of 13,478
Here's what's really eating me on the inside right now. From the start of my presence on this forum I've been told that diminishing returns are a huge part of the nature of this stuff. You don't pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for audio euphoria, you pay it for 10-20% of a difference. Crinacle has a review of the IER-Z1R, an iem he rates top tier that should be heard to appreciate the best of what is available, stating exactly this and how for many people it's not worth spending this much money on the product but it is what audiophiles chase. Paul - iBasso explicitly stated that the internals of the products are not optimized for best sound quality - in fact, the predominate iems and headphones being used are likely to benefit from these cheap mods. According to him the internals are optimized for broad use (which doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me but I can't read minds).

Something may sound different or more to your liking with a different capacitor or op amp because of the predominate IEMs or headphones being used but we need to make AMPs that sound and work well with many different drivers. There are times we have tried some of the components that have been used for modifications and there are times that for general use they don't work out.

The person who puts in these caps talks about "actual real depth",

I say definitely worth it, just replaced the two nichicon fw caps in my amp1 for panasonic fr one's. To my ears the improvements are big, now it has actual real depth and sparkle.

which matches with my impression that the Sony ZX300, which uses these caps while being a worse dap overall, does something better in depth imaging than what I hear from the iBasso amps. So it is crystal clear right in front of your eyes that there is a very cheap quintessential audiophile benefit to get for 3-4 euros rather than 300-400 euros, and all of you try to figure out how to dismiss and ignore this, how to not hear about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,965 of 13,478
Going to apply Ultimate Mod on my friend's iBasso DX220 today so I compared with iBasso DX200 side by side and found something interesting.

60361540_2916143678403439_8708820266005823488_n.jpg

The change of their new single cap has the same value as what I picked for my mod before. No wonder why some of my friends said it sounds very similar to my mod. I'm glad that iBasso did things right for this AMP1 mk2 update. :D

Regards,
Keetakawee

May 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,966 of 13,478
Here's what's really eating me on the inside right now. From the start of my presence on this forum I've been told that diminishing returns are a huge part of the nature of this stuff. You don't pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for audio euphoria, you pay it for 10-20% of a difference. Crinacle has a review of the IER-Z1R, an iem he rates top tier that should be heard to appreciate the best of what is available, stating exactly this and how for many people it's not worth spending this much money on the product but it is what audiophiles chase. Paul - iBasso explicitly stated that the internals of the products are not optimized for best sound quality - in fact, the predominate iems and headphones being used are likely to benefit from these cheap mods. According to him the internals are optimized for broad use (which doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me but I can't read minds).

The person who puts in these caps talks about "actual real depth",

which matches with my impression that the Sony ZX300, which uses these caps while being a worse dap overall, does something better in depth imaging than what I hear from the iBasso amps. So it is crystal clear right in front of your eyes that there is a very cheap quintessential audiophile benefit to get for 3-4 euros rather than 300-400 euros, and all of you try to figure out how to dismiss and ignore this, how to not hear about it.

You people do not deserve to call yourselves audiophiles. You truly don't. You're basically spending money to socialize. This is embarrassing.[/QUOTE

Where did iBasso say they don't try for the best audio quality? Saying they want an amp to work with a number of headphones or IEMs doesn't mean they also don't go for the best sound quality. Where do they say they don't go for the best sound quality?

May 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,967 of 13,478
Going to apply Ultimate Mod on my friend's iBasso DX220 today so I compared with iBasso DX200 side by side and found something interesting.

60361540_2916143678403439_8708820266005823488_n.jpg

The change of their new single cap has the same value as what I picked for my mod before. No wonder why some of my friends said it sounds very similar to my mod. I'm glad that iBasso did things right for this AMP1 mk2 update. :D

Regards,
Keetakawee

And what cap would that be?

May 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,968 of 13,478
Getting mine today, I will have to read up on the available amp modules :wink: I hope it sounds better than my sr15, if not I'll take a bath on returning it or selling it.

I'm pretty sure it will because 2 people that I trust have said it sounded as good or better than ak se100 futura and I've had that one and it sounded substantially better than my norma. I just couldn't justify the extra 900 dollars.

How does the sound compare with the ZX300? Apologies if you've already posted a comparison.

May 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,970 of 13,478
How does the sound compare with the ZX300? Apologies if you've already posted a comparison.

Give me a bit, I haven't had much time with it yet and I haven't used balanced.I can say the SE out on the 220 is noticeably better than the zx300, it's more detailed/resolving and the stage is much bigger. No surprise there as the balanced on the zx300 is the real star.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back