DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 14, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,851 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso Can you explain to us why people are apparently able to significantly improve your amps with cheap mods? Look at these quotes for instance:

I'm waiting for an answer from Paul. Very interesting point. Maybe ibasso will make a amp 8 ii

Given only two caps were needed based on top of page 188 this amounts to 3-4 euros at non-bulk end-user with shipping prices. Why were better components not in the stock amp?

https://twister6.com/2016/09/09/amp8-diy-mod/

I don't know which amp8 mod this is but three of the four components are similarly cheap. The remaining component is much more expensive at $37 but if it's a replacement rather than an addition whatever is in there already should be subtracted.

The implications are troubling and disappointing. At the very least, can you produce an amp with the reasonably highest quality components that would represent the highest capability of the DX220? This isn't a card collection game for some of us. I'm sure many of us would pay more, albeit we might be more reluctant to buy 10 of these modules...

I'm waiting for Paul to reply to this. Very interesting point. Maybe they'll make an amp 8 ii in the near future :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #2,852 of 13,478
I'm waiting for Paul to reply to this. Very interesting point. Maybe they'll make an amp 8 ii in the near future :)
So all the amps are not good enough ?

May 14, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #2,853 of 13,478
They are good, really good actually, but if there's a lot more potential to be gained from using higher quality components, why not?

May 14, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,854 of 13,478

Here are the sums per component only for the needed numbers except in one instance where it's pennies to just buy the next highest grouping:

$129.31 in total (I presume mostly in replacement?)

Obviously two of these components are real outliers accounting for 88% of the cost, didn't bother reading for how much of the effect. In bulk groupings you're talking about average prices of 50% of the total to like 1/3 of the total. Not sure which would be more realistic. I didn't double-check my math. It should be underscored that many of these claimed upgrades appear to be very cheap and people have done fewer and much cheaper ones to claimed good effect.

That's not necessarily the point. The amps may be fine - or some may even not be - but if upgrades are so cheap and provide appreciable improvements why are they not better?

May 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,855 of 13,478
They are good, really good actually, but if there's a lot more potential to be gained from using higher quality components, why not?
Theres always better but when will you just stop chasing and start enjoying.

May 14, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2,857 of 13,478
@crazyeyes have you try Tidal apk version 2.11.3? That version can unfold Tidal MQA offline just fine. But somehow it also up sample Tidal Hifi songs (44.1) to 88.2.

I do see that tidal offline works with MQA but you're right regular hifi songs are upsampled to 88.2. Weird

May 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,860 of 13,478
By the way, has anyone noticed that you cannot listen at a relatively quiet or tame volume to appreciate sound quality? I'm currently in a room alone so there's no environmental noise. Is this the dap or the iems? Could be my hearing too but I can't help but imagine your hearing either needs to be extremely sharp or things just don't come across.

May 14, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,861 of 13,478
By the way, has anyone noticed that you cannot listen at a relatively quiet or tame volume to appreciate sound quality? I'm currently in a room alone so there's no environmental noise. Is this the dap or the iems? Could be my hearing too but I can't help but imagine your hearing either needs to be extremely sharp or things just don't come across.
This is precisely why reviewers must volume match their gear when doing reviews. If not, one item may sound better than the other simply because it was louder.

This is especially important when comparing very similar sounding gear. Iems generally sound different enough to necessitate this but on the other hand it's definitely important to do so when comparing amps.

Personally I listen just a notch below the loudest I can tolerate so it sounds the best it can but it depends on the song too. Some songs do happen to sound better at a lower volume.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,862 of 13,478
Well it isn't just lbasso, the only manufacturer I've seen that uses those big Panasonic caps is Sony in their mid and flagship stuff- zx300 and up. They're very easy to spot on the board- big gold and black radial caps.

And of course, one mod might sound better to some than others :wink: It's possible you might not like the 'modded' sound signature as well as the vanilla one. Also last but not least, there is always the chance of screwing something up, and of course you automatically void the warranty. Just Food for thought.

I know I can easily switch them out and back if I don't like the results. But I wouldn't recommend it if your not confident in your soldering skills :) And in my case I will probably be very happy with the stock amp anyways.

May 14, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2,863 of 13,478
Also last but not least, there is always the chance of screwing something up, and of course you automatically void the warranty. Just Food for thought.

I know I can easily switch them out and back if I don't like the results. But I wouldn't recommend it if your not confident in your soldering skills :) And in my case I will probably be very happy with the stock amp anyways.

That's partly the reason why I want the highest quality components that make a difference in there to begin with. Value is another part. Last but not least, I'll take my chances with the sound signature of higher quality components. It would be pretty funny if my impression that the imaging of the ZX300 was more precise has something to do with these caps. Note how the poster referred to depth in describing the positive effect... *sigh* Now I'm getting kind of pissed to be honest.

Is something legal perhaps a factor? Behind the scenes arrangements? Or is it just big time penny pinching?

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #2,864 of 13,478
This is precisely why reviewers must volume match their gear when doing reviews. If not, one item may sound better than the other simply because it was louder.

This is especially important when comparing very similar sounding gear. Iems generally sound different enough to necessitate this but on the other hand it's definitely important to do so when comparing amps.

Personally I listen just a notch below the loudest I can tolerate so it sounds the best it can but it depends on the song too. Some songs do happen to sound better at a lower volume.

Absolutely, matching volume is so important- things always sound better with more juice. And if dap b has just a touch more than dap c even though dap b may be technically and sonically better that little bit of volume boost can turn the tables.

Best done with a db meter or multimeter to be sure outputs are the same. It's hard to get exact matches by ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back