DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 14, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #2,792 of 13,478
OK. already pass the 150 hours mark.

Regarding Burn In... based on my exp, Out of Box, everything so Thin, Bass no rumble etc...
70 hours mark, is my eye openers... especially the Mid... the layered, the detail, I can tell (somebody who asked here about LPGT), DX221mk2 with balanced cable & Solaris (Mid Gain), can keep up to LPGT Mid...
But LPGT still win if talk about Darker background even in High Gain & balanced cable... IMO

Hmm, if I want both SE and balanced outputs on 1 amp module I'm stuck with the stock module?

If so, would it be worth it to mod?
+1
Considering for it... but AMP1 Mk2 alrd Good...

I am fine with DX220/amp1ii and don’t really need the amp8 and am waiting to listen amp9 which will be soon released. :wink:
Have u Compare it?

I have a fully burnt in amp7 but for now I'm loving amp1 mkii
Care to share the thought?

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #2,793 of 13,478
alan_g said:
I have a fully burnt in amp7 but for now I'm loving amp1

Care to share the thought?

Unfortunately not the amp 7 is on the dx200 which is out on loan for a while

May 14, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #2,794 of 13,478
Hmm, if I want both SE and balanced outputs on 1 amp module I'm stuck with the stock module?

If so, would it be worth it to mod?
I say definitely worth it, just replaced the two nichicon fw caps in my amp1 for panasonic fr one's. To my ears the improvements are big, now it has actual real depth and sparkle.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,795 of 13,478
Nice, thanks for the info. I’ll have to go find the old DX90 burn in cable. Crap. I might have includded it in the accessories when. I sold my beloved DX90. I myself believe in burn in as I happen to be burning in some new CA4s as we speak. I’ll burn in the 220 for 200 hrs and do some critical listening with my AK380. I’m really hoping it compares favorably...

Hey KimChee,
If you decide to do some burn-in it comes with a cable for the balanced output port. If you still have your burn-in cable for the DX90 that will work in the single ended output - that is what I used since I haven't yet invested in balanced cables/IEMs. The evidence suggests, as evidenced by many owners - including me, that the DX220 improves with burn-in. I noticed improvements after as little as 10 hours and many have said between 150 - 200 hours is where it will achieve full benefit.

Cheers,
Tim

May 14, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #2,796 of 13,478
Amp1ii has an excellent SQ out of 2.5 balanced (never used 3.5 SE since all my cables CIEMs are 4.4 and 2.5). I have listened to amp8 for a short time before then modified as @Whitigir suggestion then I sold it to try amp8EX but never happened. So probably I will wait for amp9 (Nutube). :wink:
Nice, thanks for the info. I’ll have to go find the old DX90 burn in cable. Crap. I might have includded it in the accessories when. I sold my beloved DX90. I myself believe in burn in as I happen to be burning in some new CA4s as we speak. I’ll burn in the 220 for 200 hrs and do some critical listening with my AK380. I’m really hoping it compares favorably...

It comes with burn in cable, so you'll be set :) You could always use headphones also if you don't mind the noise.

May 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,797 of 13,478
I say definitely worth it, just replaced the two nichicon fw caps in my amp1 for panasonic fr one's. To my ears the improvements are big, now it has actual real depth and sparkle.

Just curious, where did you get the 2 Panasonic caps? I'm handy with a soldering iron and would definitely mod mine- but I want the right caps.

May 14, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,799 of 13,478
This is what Whitigir wrote about amp1 of the DX200 six months ago in the thread of other daps:

I wonder if Whitigir was not a fan of the DX200 when it first came out. Anyway, the stock amp1 of the DX220 is improved. Nonetheless, you want to be asking for comparative impressions of people who have both amp1 mk2 and amp8 burned in and who'll give you the good with the bad. I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that no new amp will sound awesome with a new DX220 and that even amp8 is not perfect. After 200 hours you could consider that at the price you have the best value, but I've yet to see anyone do any sort of insightful breakdown with positives and negatives of just where the DX220 with whatever amp stands relative to other daps. On the bright side once you cast scruples and money out of your mind and focus on music the DX220 w/ amp8 at the very least has enough to let you enjoy the music.

Here we go again...lol

May 14, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,800 of 13,478
I also just did my order a few minutes ago from Advanced MP3 Players. They have it in stock!

Man, they are fast. I was surprised to get the shipment notice early morning... about 1 hour after placing the order last night after working hours! Very happy:wink:

May 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #2,802 of 13,478
I don’t mind the noise and it’s hooked up to my computer, but my girl thinks I’m crazy burning in everything lol..

It comes with burn in cable, so you'll be set :) You could always use headphones also if you don't mind the noise.

May 14, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,803 of 13,478
Ahh, didn’t even think of that, good point...I’ve got a 2.5 adapter...otherwise I’ve never used the balanced port on any device ever...

Actually according to Paul @ iBasso you should do the burn in through the balanced port as it includes both sides. The single end port will only work one half of the circuit

May 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,804 of 13,478
Early comparison with SP1000cu: DX220 doesn't quite have that impact of SP1000 (SP). SP is also smoother. But DX220 needs more burn-in; I'm sure it will improve. I'm comparing from balanced out to my headphone amp.

May 14, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,805 of 13,478
Ahh, didn’t even think of that, good point...I’ve got a 2.5 adapter...otherwise I’ve never used the balanced port on any device ever...

You could use your single ended devices for listening while burning in just use the included burn in cable when you are going to leave the DX220 on unattended. I've gone ahead and cabled all my phones to balanced, just seems to make sense on the face of it, never mind that dumb 'ol science:L3000:

Besides, there seems to be some debate on this thread about adapting balanced to unbalanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back