DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 5, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2,146 of 13,478
A more useful question would be: Why would you want high-res music on a DAP? I think, myself included, we have it for the satisfaction of knowing we have the highest quality version of an album available. Mostly what having music in high-res affects is not the music itself, but the digital filter in the DAC. While not as much so as in the past, IMO the digital filters inside most off-the-shelf DACs are average at best, so using high-res files will bypass some of their effects. However the effect is subtle, often to a degree that is hard or impossible to discern, and I wouldn't take the time to care about it on a device that I would most likely use on public transport, where outside noise will have vastly more effect.

DSD sounds softer -- it is processed differently to PCM. The reason for this is that it has trouble reproducing transients in music. It also takes up an insane amount of space for the same music.
Are you seriously saying there is no real difference between High Res DSDs and Flacs, or that the difference is subtle? In my experience it is anything but that. Flacs sound grainy and disjointed when compared to a DSD, nothing subtle about it.

I swear some of things people say about cables, DAPs, and High Res files on head-fi has me scratching my head. If they can't spot the differences between each, it's hard for me to take any of their impressions seriously.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2,147 of 13,478
Curious how much playback time are you guys/gals squeezing out of DX220 with stock amp1ii? Already went through 5 full charge/discharge cycles, so battery is definitely calibrated. On a low gain from 2.5mm BAL at a regular listening volume with occasional screen on while playing a mix of flac/mp3 files I'm getting a solid 8hrs (in full Android).

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #2,149 of 13,478
Curious how much playback time are you guys/gals squeezing out of DX220 with stock amp1ii? Already went through 5 full charge/discharge cycles, so battery is definitely calibrated. On a low gain from 2.5mm BAL at a regular listening volume with occasional screen on while playing a mix of flac/mp3 files I'm getting a solid 8hrs (in full Android).
Full Cycled Charge and discharged ? is it needed ?
I thought like smartphone, were full cycled only reduced the lifetime...

hmmm, using Pure Mango only for now (burn in process). AMP1ii, Mid Gain, 15% backlight, volume 7 - 14%, flac music only. Gets around 7 hours.
One thing I find, if you used Flac 24 bits or higher, the DAP get more warmer.... quite interesting and must get used to it... like Whig said, is there any portable cooling (wild idea) ?

May 5, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,150 of 13,478
I just orded a DX220 off the iBasso site looking forward to getting to compare it with my FiiO M11. I also ordered amp8 too. From what I've read here should be an awesome player.

A/b under trade show conditions

EB64A8DA-405E-4E2D-9E51-FF9FD6A5F298.jpeg

I may have written some notes, but the DX220 with stock amp was the winner to my ears.

Campfire Audio Andromeda.

@scootermafia any further thoughts?

May 5, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,153 of 13,478
Seems like people are preferring the AMP1MK2 for IEM use. With Stellia, my main daily listener, AMP8 is even better.

May 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2,154 of 13,478
Seems like people are preferring the AMP1MK2 for IEM use. With Stellia, my main daily listener, AMP8 is even better.

Yeah I am curious to see what I think about Amp1 MKII vs Amp8 with my it04 and HE1000. I wonder if Amp1 MKII will be a better match for the it04 and Amp8 for the HE1000. I guess I will see. I'm going to let them burn in for at least 50 hours before really giving a critical listen though as it seems burn in is definitely helpful from reading this thread and there are still changes at the 175-200 hour mark.

May 5, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #2,155 of 13,478
Yep we need a new thread rule, no reactions or reviewing sound until both the player and module are at 200 hours. First 50 hours I wasn’t sold on it. Now it’s at the head of the pack, well out in front.

May 5, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #2,156 of 13,478
Yep we need a new thread rule, no reactions or reviewing sound until both the player and module are at 200 hours. First 50 hours I wasn’t sold on it. Now it’s at the head of the pack, well out in front.

That's great to hear.

May 5, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #2,158 of 13,478
So why the hell do people claim hi-res makes all the difference? To be honest even I've heard bigger differences than this conveys. Very strange response. If hi-res music doesn't matter and outside noise is such a factor an even more useful question appears to be why are we even buying $1100, let alone >$3000 daps? Like a bolt from a clear sky. No one should have the highest quality version of an album just because, it should be had because it makes a difference.

What "people"? What specific "bigger differences" have you heard? I've come across quite a few hi-res versions of albums that were different masters to the CD quality versions, and sounded quite different. I use the Chesky binaural albums, some of which i have in both CD quality and 192k and on the DAPs I have here they identical on all the DAPs I've tried in recent memory.

Are you seriously saying there is no real difference between High Res DSDs and Flacs, or that the difference is subtle? In my experience it is anything but that. Flacs sound grainy and disjointed when compared to a DSD, nothing subtle about it.

Nope, that's not what I said. Please read my post again. You might want to check your terminology too. "FLAC" is a method for compressing PCM, which, along with DSD are methods of digitally encoding music, so what you meant to say is "FLAC files" and "DSD files". Your "grainy and disjointed" experience is either from a: the recording itself, or b: the electronics. Because DSD-encoded music blunts transients, it softens the sound. So yes, as I said, it sounds different. Given the design of a lot of DACs and DAPs, it can sound more pleasant.

May 5, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,160 of 13,478
Hotter = better heat dissipation. Try to use a cooling heat sink for it

er... isn't that like calling a bucket of lard a better source of fat than a piece of fried chicken?
I think more accurate would be: hotter = less efficient heat dissipation, or more heat to dissipate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back