DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 5, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #2,132 of 13,478
Just like some DAPs cost $899 and others cost $3.5k, you know it, Steve :wink: And I'm sure if iBasso would make 4.4mm (female) to 2.5mm (male) adaptor it would probably cost $15, but they don't make one.

You got me there brother! LOL

May 5, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #2,133 of 13,478
Tidal EQ can be done through the UAPP app. 2 kinds of EQ available, highly recommend the app in general as well

May 5, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,134 of 13,478
the EQ you have is Digital EQ. The only way you can have EQ that can apply everywhere is Analog physical EQ. Your DX220 is a DAP or a Digital Audio Player.

Tidal EQ can be done through the UAPP app. 2 kinds of EQ available, highly recommend the app in general as well

So why can't iBasso do it right?

May 5, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,135 of 13,478

Do you have an example of an Android DAP that has system wide EQ available? Seems like it isn't possible, and as I mentioned there is a very good workaround available that works for Tidal (Qobuz as well)

May 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,137 of 13,478
Do you have an example of an Android DAP that has system wide EQ available? Seems like it isn't possible, and as I mentioned there is a very good workaround available that works for Tidal (Qobuz as well)

I thought UAPP was unnecessary on the DX220? (requires the Google app store) Is there something from APKPure that provides EQ for streaming?

May 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,139 of 13,478
What sources of hi-res music would you recommend? Unless I'm mistaken I recall seeing one of the Schiit founders saying that DSD is a "stillborn" format in part because it can't be streamed. So in terms of streaming is Qobuz the only option (its selection seems a lot narrower than Tidal's)? How does FLAC compare to DSD?

Frankly I'm starting to feel compelled to use sharing sites. HDtracks looks terrible too. If you were to buy tracks could you even have the confidence that you're getting "endgame" file quality or could further improvements come in the future?

A more useful question would be: Why would you want high-res music on a DAP? I think, myself included, we have it for the satisfaction of knowing we have the highest quality version of an album available. Mostly what having music in high-res affects is not the music itself, but the digital filter in the DAC. While not as much so as in the past, IMO the digital filters inside most off-the-shelf DACs are average at best, so using high-res files will bypass some of their effects. However the effect is subtle, often to a degree that is hard or impossible to discern, and I wouldn't take the time to care about it on a device that I would most likely use on public transport, where outside noise will have vastly more effect.

DSD sounds softer -- it is processed differently to PCM. The reason for this is that it has trouble reproducing transients in music. It also takes up an insane amount of space for the same music.

May 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #2,140 of 13,478

There are people here much more qualified to answer this but I think the simple answer is:

A system wide EQ would have to be implemented at the system level, which is Android not iBasso. Android would not do this and even if they did you wouldn't want what they came up with.

So, you can root the system and add in something like Viper4Android, which is what you want. However, it is not compatible with iBasso products. iBasso could make their own version but I'm not sure that their licensing agreement allows them to hack Android this way.

What iBasso did is set up a dual boot architecture so you can have Android on one side and a dedicated audio system with EQ on the other. I know that probably doesn't solve the use cases you may have in mind like e.g., Youtube videos. However, to my thinking, they solved the main problem of third party players that may not have EQ by making their Mango OS music player the best.

As mentioned, for Tidal/Qobuz, you have UAPP which comes with a usable graphic EQ, and for a few bucks, a really good third party parametric EQ.

May 5, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,141 of 13,478
A more useful question would be: Why would you want high-res music on a DAP? I think, myself included, we have it for the satisfaction of knowing we have the highest quality version of an album available. Mostly what having music in high-res affects is not the music itself, but the digital filter in the DAC. While not as much so as in the past, IMO the digital filters inside most off-the-shelf DACs are average at best, so using high-res files will bypass some of their effects. However the effect is subtle, often to a degree that is hard or impossible to discern, and I wouldn't take the time to care about it on a device that I would most likely use on public transport, where outside noise will have vastly more effect.

DSD sounds softer -- it is processed differently to PCM. The reason for this is that it has trouble reproducing transients in music. It also takes up an insane amount of space for the same music.

giphy.gif

So why the hell do people claim hi-res makes all the difference? To be honest even I've heard bigger differences than this conveys. Very strange response. If hi-res music doesn't matter and outside noise is such a factor an even more useful question appears to be why are we even buying $1100, let alone >$3000 daps? Like a bolt from a clear sky. No one should have the highest quality version of an album just because, it should be had because it makes a difference.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,142 of 13,478
There are people here much more qualified to answer this but I think the simple answer is:

A system wide EQ would have to be implemented at the system level, which is Android not iBasso. Android would not do this and even if they did you wouldn't want what they came up with.

So, you can root the system and add in something like Viper4Android, which is what you want. However, it is not compatible with iBasso products. iBasso could make their own version but I'm not sure that their licensing agreement allows them to hack Android this way.

What iBasso did is set up a dual boot architecture so you can have Android on one side and a dedicated audio system with EQ on the other. I know that probably doesn't solve the use cases you may have in mind like e.g., Youtube videos. However, to my thinking, they solved the main problem of third party players that may not have EQ by making their Mango OS music player the best.

As mentioned, for Tidal/Qobuz, you have UAPP which comes with a usable graphic EQ, and for a few bucks, a really good third party parametric EQ.

Even with those, the EQ wouldn’t work as clean, precise and undistorted. The best way to universally EQ is to get a lineout from DX220 or any DAC and input into a physical analog graphic Equalizer

May 5, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,143 of 13,478
1. our Mango OS doesn't scan large artwork. We have a limitation on this so the artwork would need to be resized. 900 by 900 works well.

2. Please re-scan the library.

3. We will work on this.

Thank Paul for the response, some comments:

1. That works, thanks

2. Rescanning does not fix the problem in Mango app

3. Great! This is the most need feature in the app

May 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,144 of 13,478
Even with those, the EQ wouldn’t work as clean, precise and undistorted. The best way to universally EQ is to get a lineout from DX220 or any DAC and input into a physical analog graphic Equalizer

Whit, again with the analog hardware! (grin).

Here's, where I beg to differ. It really depends on the quality of the digital algorithms and how they're being implemented vs. the quality of the hardware EQ and the cabling. A bargain hardware EQ with bargain cabling is going to be horribly imprecise and introduce all kinds of distortion.

I would take a decent software EQ any day, not to mention ones modeled on legendary devices like multi thousand dollar Pultecs. There is a reason why mastering including EQ is done digitally. For PC based rigs, we have access to those same pro-level EQs by makers like Fabfilter, Sonnox, DMG, Waves, UAD, etc.

Unless, I'm missing something, which of course, when it comes to you, I very well may be (grin).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back