DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 28, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #11,418 of 13,478
Not tried UAPP. After a bit of setting fiddling, Neutron works well and I feel is better than the Android implementation of Mango.

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #11,419 of 13,478
Ok--I need you guys' help
I got the 220. Love it. So--first thing I did was download Qobuz from the APK. Put a song on loop and let it run (medium volume--charger plugged in) for 6 days. I only listen to streaming. I love the Uapp app. So I found the Lurker download so as to get the Play Store and Uapp. Downloaded it and went into the Play Store and downloaded Uapp and Tidal. I go to play and now anything I play in Uapp and Tidal will drop the Wifi connection after around 5 minutes. Not two, not ten--always about the same. So I'm freaking out and I'm checking my wifi--all seems good. I put my phone (Android with uapp, Tidal and Qobuz) and the 220 side by side. The 220 drops wifi after 5 minutes and after 90 minutes my phone is still going strong. Weird thing is that Wifi comes back immediately after being dropped. So--I factory reset the 220, re-install Lurker and Tidal and Qobuz from the play store. Same problem. So I talk to Moon Audio and Ibasso and they have me send it back to Moon. They do a factory reset and install Qobuz and Tidal from APK. Runs like a charm. They suspected that the apps from the Play store didn't download correctly. Keep in mind that when I first got it I got Qobuz from APK--not the Play store. I'm receiving it back today. I'm afraid to download Lurker and using the Play store. I think that Tidal through Uapp sounds better than through just Tidal. I have a pair of Audeze LCD i3's that need eq to play properly. I listen to a lot of early stereo jazz recordings. Crossfeed is almost essential for these. They are panned so crazy right and left--crossfeed really helps.
Any ideas? It seems that Mango is only for playing downloaded recordings, right? Not for streaming? ( a dumb oversight IMO) Can Uapp be gotten from another source? Are there any APK store apps that can do audiophile quality Eq?

Its because of battery sleep setting. Had to disable it on mine and my brothers units, otherwise it will always drop. Go to settings, battery seingsFor some dumb reason it considers qobuz not worth keeping itself awake.

Mar 30, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #11,420 of 13,478
No problem. I decided to test it. The answer is, unfortunately, that the re-installed apps do NOT recognize already-downloaded DRM-protected music from before the factory reset. I am hoping that re-downloads overnight will save me some pain.

In some initial testing, I don't believe the reset fixed the USB transport issue, either. :sob:
Continuing this thread, I believe the issue may be with the USB-C port on the DX220. I notice that the clicking/dropping noise gets better or worse if the cable moves around in the port. It doesn’t completely go away, but it improves. I also noticed that the USB-C cable I have does not insert completely into the DX220 like it does on my iPad or my MBP. The cable has a lot less play when I insert it into either of these devices than it does in the DX220.

Has anyone else had issues with the USB-C port itself? Should I expect full insertion of the cable? Should I contact the retailer about an RMA for a defective port?

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #11,421 of 13,478
Continuing this thread, I believe the issue may be with the USB-C port on the DX220. I notice that the clicking/dropping noise gets better or worse if the cable moves around in the port. It doesn’t completely go away, but it improves. I also noticed that the USB-C cable I have does not insert completely into the DX220 like it does on my iPad or my MBP. The cable has a lot less play when I insert it into either of these devices than it does in the DX220.

Has anyone else had issues with the USB-C port itself? Should I expect full insertion of the cable? Should I contact the retailer about an RMA for a defective port?
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the expected operation of the DX220. I've re-read the user manual, and it only talks about digital transport via the S/PDIF port, not USB-C. I see references to USB-C input for DAC mode, but not USB-C output as a digital transport to an external DAC. It seems like it's *trying* to pass a digital signal out via USB-C, it's just not clean. I've tried two USB-C to USB-B cables now, both of which work perfectly with my iPad Pro and my MBP. Thinking I'll try UAPP on the DX220 next...

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #11,424 of 13,478
USB output as Digital transport doesn’t work very well on DX220. I think the latest firmware have it fixed but the issues would still be there. IMO, the best way to use DX220 as a digital transport is by using SPDIF out and followed by Coax out
Hmm...I'm trying to run it to my Schiit Jotunheim, which gives me a USB-B input for the MB-DAC, or stereo XLR or stereo coax inputs for balanced or single-ended analog inputs, respectively. I know I can run 3.5mm line out into the SE input, or get something like the AMP3 and do 2.5mm line out to the XLR inputs. I don't really see any viable way to connect the S/PDIF output to the USB-B port of the DAC, though. Am I understanding the situation correctly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #11,425 of 13,478
Hmm...I'm trying to run it to my Schiit Jotunheim, which gives me a USB-B input for the MB-DAC, or stereo XLR or stereo coax inputs for balanced or single-ended analog inputs, respectively. I know I can run 3.5mm line out into the SE input, or get something like the AMP3 and do 2.5mm line out to the XLR inputs. I don't really see any viable way to connect the S/PDIF output to the USB-B port of the DAC, though. Am I understanding the situation correctly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Then the only way is to use analog line out. It is the 3.5mm you mentioned or the Amp3 line out

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #11,426 of 13,478
I'm pretty sure the S/PDIF port has both optical and coax capability. I never use it though. I just use a patch cord that is 3.5 to right and left rca from the line out or the h/phone port. The dap usually comes with a coax cable adapter. If you're trying to use an external dac though coax is the option to use.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #11,429 of 13,478
The problem is the Schiit amplifier that doesn’t have neither Spdif/coax
Then single ended it is then whether using RCA or XLR the proper cables make it work.
Thank you both. I was hoping this player could do USB-C out to the MB-DAC in the Schiit, but it seems like that's out. Oh well. I'm sure I have a SE to RCA stereo cable in my pile somewhere...

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #11,430 of 13,478
Thank you both. I was hoping this player could do USB-C out to the MB-DAC in the Schiit, but it seems like that's out. Oh well. I'm sure I have a SE to RCA stereo cable in my pile somewhere...
Actually I think just plug the head phones into the DX220 is the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back