DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #9,316 of 13,478
Guys, may I toss in a slice of bread ?
DX220 is a player that can accommodate Swappable Amp modules.

So, usually when people call out Dx220, that means it is with stock Amp1 MKII module

When people call out DX228, that means DX220 with Optional Amp8 module. The Amp8 by itself is already more fluid and powerful module Vs the stock Amp1 MKII

so you both hear differences is pretty obvious

Does M11Pro take Amp module ?
Of course not :wink:

My comments apply to DX220 with any amp, vs stock M11 Pro. That is why I did not say DX221, DX228, etc.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #9,317 of 13,478
Hi guys.
I've jumped from dx207 to dx227, and yes, sound is big improvement. Sound is so laid back and detailed. I really like Mango app in Android mode vs Mango OS. Sound wise is opposite. Sadly Mango Os is missing quite few Mango app features. Is any of you have similar experience, even with new firmware? ( yes, I've read through this tread, and notice about it with older firmware) . Is it possible to share playlist between Mango app and Mango Os, this really would be nice feature.
Also, do you think the production on the back of unit might be blocking heat transmission little bit, and making player warmer than without?
You are correct regarding Mango Mode not including some of the key features like searching and PEQ from Android. The request to share common Playlist between Android and Mango has been made as well along with the ability to name and edit them better - see the dedicated thread for DX220 Software (FW) requests, etc: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/
Regarding heat - it has been discussed several times throughout this thread and the DX220 does run warmer than many other DAPs but given the power consumption of the dual ES9028PRO chips (1/2 watt per DAC at 192 kHz sampling and 100 MHz master clock speed - info straight from ESS Tech datasheet) it stands to reason that heat will be generated and dissipated to the surroundings. It might make a few degrees difference without the case on - give it a try and let us know what you find.

Oh yeah - welcome to the DX220 and enjoy the upgrade!

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #9,318 of 13,478

Concerning the latest update, this has a huge impact on pure dap users such as me, I have to update my Log sheet. But, I immediately observed.
1. Output volume increased by @ least 4-6 steps on the wheel, meaning I have to volume down.
2. I "feel" some distortion, but this is for ongoing observation. it's too early to surmise, I immediately check the scaling w/ my ref. tracks, they're ok, the same as huge as before...
3. The re-scanning time may not have changed, but the freeze right after the sd card scanning was gone. Album browse was as fast as ever. i really have to slow it down, i always miss my mark album...

First of all, Big Thanks to @Paul - iBasso & team dev. Ibasso for the early Christmas gift, a Fantastic Sonic Firmware & battery efficiency upgrade.

upload_2019-12-7_0-6-10.png

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #9,319 of 13,478
First of all, Big Thanks to @Paul - iBasso & team dev. Ibasso for the early Christmas gift, a Fantastic Sonic Firmware & battery efficiency upgrade.

Like one of my preferred audition track's title, Ibasso's prized dx229 - is On fire, the update just added fuel in the already on fire hot device!
1. (The already Large) Sound field scaling increased, most obvious was the depth & height.
2. Effortless clarity, coherence & details more apparent, than ever
3. Albeit effortless & liquid doesn't mean speed was reduced, fantastic PRAT is always there
4. 3d effects & Holography benefited from the increased staging, now multi faceted. Stage performance coupled w/ Studio monitor mode...

Tracks & album played back to verify the .223 update improvements:
Gasoline, Shadow of the Sun - Audioslave
Disintegration - The Cure
the Killing moon, Angels & Devils [Rhino] - E. & the Bunnymen
So far away, Brothers in Arms [dsd64] - DS
Brothers in Arms [Japan issue] - DS
Can't help falling in love... [24 bit] - Beck
House of the rising sun [24 bit] - S.Cohen
Fuel to Fire, Dorian, Aventine [24 bit] - A.Obel
400 lux, Royals [24 bit] - Lorde
Achtung Baby [24 bit] - U2
Love will tear us apart [24 bit] - J.D.
Come as you are [fr.dvdPA, 24 bit] - Nirvana
Over the Hillside - The Blue Nile
Led Zeppelin [the album][J.P. remaster]
Hopes & Fears [dsd] - Keane

upload_2019-12-7_0-9-35.png

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #9,321 of 13,478

Battery efficiency increase
Before the .223 update in my IEM / set as previously mentioned, is a bit of a guzzler, i.e. Med. gain (@ transport dac output) v.86-92 , +6 solid hours, but less than 6.5 hours.
After the .223 update, 7 solid hours [16 bit flac files] Med. gain (@ transport dac output) v78-84, low @ amp output.

Actually, i'm quite content w/ the previous rating, in the real world, i charge my device every other day, sometimes after 3 days. the 229 is for critical listening only, my m0 is my "background" music playback device...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #9,323 of 13,478
I don’t want to get hung up on processing speed, but I would like to know if the DX220 can play video files without issue?

I use my current music player for playing movies when traveling and wouldn’t want to lose that feature. In fact, I was hoping I could use it without the need for the separate amp that my current player requires. I often use a three way splitter for my wife and daughter to share.

Thank you in advance

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #9,324 of 13,478
Yes, I have watched a lot of Amazon video on my DX220 without issue. Screen is nice, sound is fantastic :)

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #9,325 of 13,478
Oh No!! Not fair!

just kidding, I never used the 64Gb that I have internally, I don’t care lol!

Never used the internal memory, too. That's probably the reason I never had that hanging, freezing during file browse.
i load native files on the 512gb msd card...

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #9,326 of 13,478
You are correct regarding Mango Mode not including some of the key features like searching and PEQ from Android. The request to share common Playlist between Android and Mango has been made as well along with the ability to name and edit them better - see the dedicated thread for DX220 Software (FW) requests, etc: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/
Regarding heat - it has been discussed several times throughout this thread and the DX220 does run warmer than many other DAPs but given the power consumption of the dual ES9028PRO chips (1/2 watt per DAC at 192 kHz sampling and 100 MHz master clock speed - info straight from ESS Tech datasheet) it stands to reason that heat will be generated and dissipated to the surroundings. It might make a few degrees difference without the case on - give it a try and let us know what you find.

Oh yeah - welcome to the DX220 and enjoy the upgrade!

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks for your reply Tim. Maybe burning time will help Mango app sound equally to Mango Os.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back