DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #9,346 of 13,478
I have a suspicion the audio routing is different between Mango OS and Mango app.

I use the dx220 primarily with Hugo 2 feeding it over optical. Similar differences heard from the HP out between the two Mangos are also present using external DAC.

Reasons why I think audio routing is different

(1) no mqa unfolding on Mango OS
(2) Mango OS allows you to put EQ before the optical out. Android app does not. This actually means the output over optical is NOT bit perfect.

I'm wondering if there's some always present sample rate conversion on the Mango OS implementation.

Hoping iBasso can clarify. For lossless file formats, the difference cannot be explained by supposed timing or supposed software algorithm differences some claim here, I don't buy that for a second. Timing is inherent in the bit stream and can only be modified if resampled before the DAC stage.

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #9,350 of 13,478
AMP8's output voltage is 6.2 Volts. Can we use the V^2/ R formula to calculate the output power at any impedance ? i.e. 2957 mW at 13 ohms
It will get you in the ballpark but it won't be that high. It would require a constant current but the current, I am sure, will not allow for almost 3 watts, as the AMP8 can't supply that much current.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #9,351 of 13,478
Late to t
2/ @singleended5863 I am interested.
3/ @DaYooper interested
4/ @HK_sends interest (in this or @rr12267's idea of a turn-in...or even trade-in...for upgrade)
5/ @Back2mine Interested
6/ @Shawnb Interested
7/ @iMongui Interested here !
8/ @CobraMan interested as well (more leaning towards modified AMP8 only if that becomes a sub-option).
9/ @cycheang interested in Amp8 Ex
10/ @kalo86 interested in AMP8EX
11/ @arijitroy2 is interested in AMP8Ex
12/ @gordec interested in Amp8EX
13/ @Sunstealer interested in Amp8EX
14/ @BiggieBig interested in Amp8EX
15/ @hAbIrAbI intersted in upgrade
16/ @MCPT interested in upgrade as well.
17/ @behemothkat interested in AMP8EX
18/ @xnuthecaveman Amp8EX
19/ @alan_g Amp8EX
20/ @bahamot Amp8EX
21/ @Shecky504 for the AMP8-EX!
Late to the party but
+1 for the AMP8-EX!

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #9,354 of 13,478
I have a suspicion the audio routing is different between Mango OS and Mango app.

I use the dx220 primarily with Hugo 2 feeding it over optical. Similar differences heard from the HP out between the two Mangos are also present using external DAC.

(2) Mango OS allows you to put EQ before the optical out. Android app does not. This actually means the output over optical is NOT bit perfect.

I'm wondering if there's some always present sample rate conversion on the Mango OS implementation.

Hoping iBasso can clarify. For lossless file formats, the difference cannot be explained by supposed timing or supposed software algorithm differences some claim here, I don't buy that for a second. Timing is inherent in the bit stream and can only be modified if resampled before the DAC stage.

@Paul - iBasso

Now with the amp7 in my possession as well, I've been doing more listening back and forth between Mango OS and Android mode.
The best way I can describe the difference is that the middle of the soundstage is pushed further back in the mix in Android mode, making the center image less focused and more emphasis on the sides. Also, more bass emphasis in Mango OS mode. Overall Mango OS mode sounds more like other sources, Android mode sounds... off.

One theory I have is: the ESS DACs are configured incorrectly on boot up in Android mode and some of the L and R channels are actually flipped and cancelling, making the bass response lower and removing some of the middle (similar to how you can change the soundstage in a Mid/Side mix).

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #9,355 of 13,478

-EQ on or off doesn't affect the bit perfect output.

The Mango OS is based on Linux OS. Android and Linux are two different OSs. There are lot of differences between the Android Mango Player and the Mango OS.

When using Android OS, there are many APPS working on the background. The CPU has more burdens/tasks. With Mango OS, the CPU is dedicated for the Mango, so the sound is can be different and can be better.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 11, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #9,356 of 13,478
-EQ on or off doesn't affect the bit perfect output.

The Mango OS is based on Linux OS. Android and Linux are two different OSs. There are lot of differences between the Android Mango Player and the Mango OS.

When using Android OS, there are many APPS working on the background. The CPU has more burdens/tasks. With Mango OS, the CPU is dedicated for the Mango, so the sound is can be different and can be better.

Is there any chance to add mqa unfold ability to mango os?

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #9,357 of 13,478
Is there any chance to add mqa unfold ability to mango os?
The MQA is software and it runs in the Android system. We work with MQA and have our players certified with them so it will work in Android but the OS of Mango is different so it can't work with it and no apps are used with Mango.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #9,358 of 13,478
Any chances that there will be a DAC/Amp iBasso device that make use of the existing amp modules *cough* *cough* Q5 xD

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #9,359 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso

Now with the amp7 in my possession as well, I've been doing more listening back and forth between Mango OS and Android mode.
The best way I can describe the difference is that the middle of the soundstage is pushed further back in the mix in Android mode, making the center image less focused and more emphasis on the sides. Also, more bass emphasis in Mango OS mode. Overall Mango OS mode sounds more like other sources, Android mode sounds... off.

One theory I have is: the ESS DACs are configured incorrectly on boot up in Android mode and some of the L and R channels are actually flipped and cancelling, making the bass response lower and removing some of the middle (similar to how you can change the soundstage in a Mid/Side mix).
The ESS dacs are working correctly. What you are hearing is the difference of Mango and Android and the ability of the AMP7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back