DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 17, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #19,546 of 22,021
I just got Fidelizer’s Advanced ROM and installed about a few hours ago. So, it was great to come to headfi and see Twister’s post. I cant’ help but think the timing has something do with Whitigir’s recent post. As for me, I was always curious about Fidelizer but what Whitigir wrote tipped it over for me. I did wade into it and flashed the free Purist version first. I think it’s smart of the developer to offer this basic level free and let the work speak for itself.

These are my very early impressions, which I was glad to see somewhat correlated with Twister’s experience. Unlike him I did not flash back and forth with the original ROM and so was constantly second guessing my memory. The difference between a real reviewer and an ordinary enthusiast.

Purist ROM:
I thought I wasn’t going to hear much of a difference, but the changes were immediate. Of course with everything at this stage of audio we’re taking about tuning. It’s not like changing out a DAC or amp, and you have to have a fairly resolving system downstream to hear all what’s going on. But—it’s good, really good. Just as promised, the sound is more liquid and flowing. This was one of the glaring deficiencies of the DX200 in my opinion. The stock output at times had a grainy, diffuse quality that cheapened its otherwise wonderful reproduction. It was one of the areas where I thought products like the Hugo2 always maintained a large advanatage over the DX200. I always found myself preferring the DX200 over Hugo2 for other things it brought to the table functionally and sonically like soundstage. However, Fidelizer’s ROM goes quite a ways to allowing you to have the best of both worlds. One of the customer comments on Fidelizer’s site said that the ROM update made him rethink stacking the DX200 and Hugo2. If you get the Advanced ROM I think that may be right and you could lose the H2 without missing too much.

Advanced ROM:
At this point I was ready to skip over the Enhanced ROM and go straight to the Advanced ROM, but I kept wishing it was cheaper. I know this is because all you’re getting for the price is code, but I reminded myself I’ve paid multiples more for audio software. So I ordered it and within the stated 24hrs I got the email link and password. As with Twister, I also immediately reinstalled Lurker’s add-on and did my testing with that combination.

Advanced ROM was definitely more clear, so much so that, at first, I found myself missing the extreme smoothness of Purist ROM. As I continued to listen I realized that part of the smoothness of Purist ROM had covered up some detail and dynamics which Advanced ROM revealed. The Advanced ROM, in fact, does not sound more harsh, just more detailed and much more transparent. It is also very smooth, just a more accurate smoothness. Advanced ROM does improve a key audiophile goal: smoothness without smearing.

I agree with Twister that Fidelizer also improves on soundstage. The Advanced ROM has better separation in the imaging and conveys a better sense of dimensional space. This is a main area where it distinguishes itself, not only from the stock FW, but Purist ROM. So it gains in another sought after audiophile aim: expansion without diffusion. You have even more of the DX200’s airiness but the images are simulataneoulsy more definite and localization is more precise.

I think it also continues that ability to separate sonic components in the dynamics. I am listening for that now. The dynamics do seem more open.

As I mentioned before the alterations aren’t on the level of a new DAC or amp, but that’s a good thing too. It preserves the DX200 sound and there is a reason why I chose DX200 in the first place. Advanced ROM takes its strengths further and improves upon its weaknesses. 99USD may be a lot for just a ROM but that also has an upside. If you don’t know your way around a soldering gun and multimeter, but want to take your unit further, you can do all of this by just clicking.

I have to say, it’s early days, but I’m pretty satisfied, and count the cost well spent. I of course haven’t really had a chance to see if the OS is any faster or if battery life is longer. In all honesty, I don’t really care. To at least my subjective sense, the sound is pretty spectacular.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #19,547 of 22,021
I want to try the Fidelizer now too! But I'm curious how they improve sound with firmware? Perhaps something similar can be done with built-in means of players? Like in Neutron we got EQ and DSP effects. For example I tried the speaker alignment function, which shifts the music from the middle of your head a little bit, and it gives you a nice sense of space and separation.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #19,548 of 22,021
I want to try the Fidelizer now too! But I'm curious how they improve sound with firmware? Perhaps something similar can be done with built-in means of players? Like in Neutron we got EQ and DSP effects. For example I tried the speaker alignment function, which shifts the music from the middle of your head a little bit, and it gives you a nice sense of space and separation.

Just try his free FW.

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #19,550 of 22,021
That will need an expert of coding and programming to take a look ?

There are 2 things though :

1/ digitals can be filtered or added information
2/ software is as important as hardware.

One of the example that I can relate to is car modification. For example, your car engine need to calibrate the air and gas ratio to the compression ratio and then load feedbacks and so on...just so it can operate correctly for both reliability and performances. Now, how does it do so ? Software coding. You may think it is simple, but it isn’t simple. One of the key ingredient as of why Japan cars in general are more reliable (in the past)...now that other manufacturers has caught up...it was all inside the coding and programming. This will be observed much easier when you are modifying your car to get more air with a Turbo or super charger. You can buy all the good hardware such as piston , valves...cams....whatever else, even expensive Engine Managements. But if you have a bad tuner , your car will run like it has had a couple slaps in it face, and will break down before you finish saying “reliable!”

Especially if you had a highly modified car, the word “tuner” would bring chill to your bones. Why ? Because not just any tuners that can squeeze every bit out of that build of your, but only the very few talented one. Believe me or not ? These cars are built, then shipped even accross the countries just to have the right tuner to tune it :D

Anyways, those are only my 2 cents

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #19,551 of 22,021

Honestly, I don’t think what Fidelizer achieved can be done through apps but really requires firmware level understanding. DSP usually comes with tradeoffs. Through effects you can have all the soundstage you want, but most of the time the result is a blurry, phasey mess. An app may tempt you try a saturation option that makes the sound more “analog.” It may sound pleasing intitially but then you realize all the detail you sacrificed.

I haven’t tried Neutron in a long time, and perhaps its DSP avoids these problems. Personally, I apply an insane amount processing to my audio files, but that has made me aware of just how hard it is to get it right. This is why I’m so impressed with what Fidelizer has accomplished. He has managed to make the DX200 both more musical and more accurate, which tells me he’s figured something out at the core of these devices.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #19,552 of 22,021
Honestly, I don’t think what Fidelizer achieved can be done through apps but really requires firmware level understanding. DSP usually comes with tradeoffs. Through effects you can have all the soundstage you want, but most of the time the result is a blurry, phasey mess. An app may tempt you try a saturation option that makes the sound more “analog.” It may sound pleasing intitially but then you realize all the detail you sacrificed.

I haven’t tried Neutron in a long time, and perhaps its DSP avoids these problems. Personally, I apply an insane amount processing to my audio files, but that has made me aware of just how hard it is to get it right. This is why I’m so impressed with what Fidelizer has accomplished. He has managed to make the DX200 both more musical and more accurate, which tells me he’s figured something out at the core of the devices.

I agree with many things you said :)

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #19,556 of 22,021
Dec 17, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #19,559 of 22,021
Honestly, I don't understand that non-stock FW discussions.
We've got the most "pure" option — via Lurker's USB Audio, it activates XMOS as "internal" audio interface, and Hiby Music or UAPP just stream digital audio over this interface in bit-perfect manner. As far as I understand, there is no FW impact at all in this case at all. No snake oil, no bells and whistles, no payment required…

And if some other options sound different, it means that something is spoiling sound, so why use it?

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #19,560 of 22,021
4.4mm may not be possible due to the powerful consumption of the Nu-Tubes...just guessing, but then I was wrong about Ibasso implementing dual ess9028pro before..lol

To implement 4.4mm socket (which takes more room than 3.5mm) you would need a balanced amp architecture, using 2x NuTube modules. I don't believe there is enough room for 2 modules, and mechanical mountings for both, and the rest of the analog ckt to go along with it. At least, going by Cayin N8 explanation why their NuTube output is only 3.5mm single ended, not enough room for 2 NuTubes (and extra power consumption). Of course, at this point I'm just speculating :wink: But I think single ended output amp9 makes more sense, otherwise I'm not sure how you can make a true balanced output using only a single NuTube module.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back