DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,241 of 22,021
.. Also a lot of posts saying you have to download apk. files etc. Is this a simple job for a bit of a technophobe like me?

It's fairly easy to download and install apk files. The alternate solution is to use custom firmware such as Lurker0's mod. This will provide you with the Google Play Store as well as other beneficial features. Follow the instructions and it's a simple process to get up and running. You can find all the info in this thread with a quick search.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #9,242 of 22,021
I am considering selling my AK300 and replacing it with the IBasso DX200. I may do this as I am looking for a DAP that I can use TIDAL offline with. The DAP will 95% be used with TIdal.
I do love the sound from my AK , so will the IBasso have a similar sound signature? Also a lot of posts saying you have to download apk. files etc. Is this a simple job for a bit of a technophobe like me?
Any guidance apprecaited

Fairly easy to use, I don't know how much for a technophobe, but fairly easy.

About comparing DX200 to AK300, I have a little feeling that you might want AMP3 or AMP2 if you want even more enthusiasm over AMP1 - I don't know how AK sounds like, but I have the feeling that you will be quite satisfied with DX200, like everybody here is :darthsmile:

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #9,243 of 22,021
I am considering selling my AK300 and replacing it with the IBasso DX200. I may do this as I am looking for a DAP that I can use TIDAL offline with. The DAP will 95% be used with TIdal.
I do love the sound from my AK , so will the IBasso have a similar sound signature? Also a lot of posts saying you have to download apk. files etc. Is this a simple job for a bit of a technophobe like me?
Any guidance apprecaited

@H20Fidelity mentioned in his DX200 review that it left his AK300 far behind. I'm sure he can answer more of your questions since he has both, unless AK300 is history by now :wink:

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #9,244 of 22,021
Any guidance apprecaited

I don't own DX200 yet but I did a side by side comparison of AK300 and FiiO X5 3 with volumes matched and I preferred X5 3 for it's musicality, form factor and features. For me AK300 did not sound anything better than X5 3 and it costs way more than that.

According to all the reviews and opinions of people in this thread, DX200 (should be compared to the TOTL DAPs like AK380, WM1Z etc..) is in a league of it's own and AK300 trails pretty far behind.

I will pick DX200 (with its modular AMP modules) without any hesitation and I think its an easy decision.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #9,245 of 22,021
I don't own DX200 yet but I did a side by side comparison of AK300 and FiiO X5 3 with volumes matched and I preferred X5 3 for it's musicality, form factor and features. For me AK300 did not sound anything better than X5 3 and it costs way more than that.

According to all the reviews and opinions of people in this thread, DX200 (should be compared to the TOTL DAPs like AK380, WM1Z etc..) is in a league of it's own and AK300 trails pretty far behind.

I will pick DX200 (with its modular AMP modules) without any hesitation and I think its an easy decision.

DX200 is in the same league as X7mkii, Opus #2, 1Z. X7mkii is considerably better than X5-3, and if somebody compared AK300 to X5-3 and found X5-3 better, then @Womaz might have a really good time with DX200 :darthsmile:

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #9,246 of 22,021
Some great replies on here so thank you to all that have contributed. The 300 was my first real DAP purchase and to be honest i just bought it without a lot of research. I do love it though as it is much better than my Sony MW15 that it replaced.
It has opened my ears to Tidal and I am now a total convert and I now use it for almost all of my listening, and I guess now the offline feature is a requirement. The IBasso is now my first choice to replace the AK300, but I admit I may sit on the fence for a while as I would ideally like Tidal to be available without the hassle of downloading files etc.
I am slowly working my way through this thread and it is very informative, but also very time consuming :wink:

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9,247 of 22,021
I have heard the AK320 and the DX200. The signatures are nothing alike. AK320 has a very laid back signature. It even sounds dead with laid back IEMs like the U12. AK320 signature is a good match for aggressive IEMs. DX200 has a very neutral and borderline aggressive signature. It is much more potent and has more substance to it than the AK320.
AK320 is like before having a cup of morning coffee and DX200 is like after the coffee.

Resolution wise, there's no comparison, DX200 just destroys the AK320.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #9,249 of 22,021
I am also going to take a big hit on the sale of the AK300 I guess..........:astonished:

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #9,251 of 22,021
DX200 is in the same league as X7mkii, Opus #2, 1Z. X7mkii is considerably better than X5-3, and if somebody compared AK300 to X5-3 and found X5-3 better, then @Womaz might have a really good time with DX200 :darthsmile:
Something we can disagree on. :^) The only daps I have found to be in the top echelon, since I have the WM1Z and have now been able to listen and analyze the SP1000, are those two and the DX200. To me, those 3 are the only daps that have enough of what I call ultra fidelity, at this point, in all areas of musicality, to differentiate themselves from all others. Ok, I have not heard the Opus 2, so that I have to stand down on but on the rest, IMO, there are only 3 standouts, and I have mentioned them that rank as absolute top tier.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #9,252 of 22,021
What does everyone think about the Massdrop X Noble K10 to pair with the DX200? I just joined the drop.
Twister6 has a review comparing them to another IEM.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #9,254 of 22,021
Some great replies on here so thank you to all that have contributed. The 300 was my first real DAP purchase and to be honest i just bought it without a lot of research. I do love it though as it is much better than my Sony MW15 that it replaced.
It has opened my ears to Tidal and I am now a total convert and I now use it for almost all of my listening, and I guess now the offline feature is a requirement. The IBasso is now my first choice to replace the AK300, but I admit I may sit on the fence for a while as I would ideally like Tidal to be available without the hassle of downloading files etc.
I am slowly working my way through this thread and it is very informative, but also very time consuming :wink:

X5 3, AK300, AK320, KANN and AK380 all use same DAC AKM AK4490. More or less they all have similar sound signature but differ in resolving details, dynamics, musicality, soundstage etc...., AK380 is definitely the best sounding of all but costs ridiculously high. DX200 uses ESS ES9028Pro DAC which has complete different sound signature.
If you have a chance of testing these DAPs at any store or order and return, I would recommend you to test them for yourself.
It's not about which DAP is best but which you like the most.......nothing beats personal preference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back