DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #5,011 of 22,021

When folks are burning in the DX200 and not listening, are you using your earphones or the burn in dongle? I've got probably say 240 hrs burn in of which most of that is with the burn in dongle. I'm hearing somewhat grittiness in the trebles compared to the WM1Z with the 1Plus2.2. So I'm wondering if I've wasted the past 1.5 weeks burning in using the dongle and have to restart with an earphone?

I don't think you have wasted time but I like to use headphones also. Because of the varying impedance of monitors I think it burns a system in differently. I have no edge or grittiness compared to the 1Z or Hugo, just nice and clean. I would try a headphone for a while also. 

It could be also the effect of 1Z smoother more musical sound sig versus more revealing reference sig of DX200.

Sometimes we focus so much on the sound of headphones, that we forget about the source having its own contributing factor (not just synergy but the actual sound sig of the source).  A few people already mentioned to me they are not crazy about dx200, and after a further chat they disclosed about wanting more impact and weight in the low end, on top of the L-shaped (or V-shaped) sig of their headphones.  I guess DX200 is not for bassheads, but rather for purist
biggrin.gif
  I find DX200 to be a true Reference quality DAP, even more than LPG where mid-bass has a little more slam in comparison to DX200.  I mean, when we describe a sound as being warmer or brighter, in my opinion it's just a relative comparison to something else we use as a reference.  Based on everything I have tested and reviewed so far, DX200 became that "reference" to my ears.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #5,012 of 22,021
It could be also the effect of 1Z smoother more musical sound sig versus more revealing reference sig of DX200.

Sometimes we focus so much on the sound of headphones, that we forget about the source having its own contributing factor (not just synergy but the actual sound sig of the source).  A few people already mentioned to me they are not crazy about dx200, and after a further chat they disclosed about wanting more impact and weight in the low end, on top of the L-shaped (or V-shaped) sig of their headphones.  I guess DX200 is not for bassheads, but rather for purist :D   I find DX200 to be a true Reference quality DAP, even more than LPG where mid-bass has a little more slam in comparison to DX200.  I mean, when we describe a sound as being warmer or brighter, in my opinion it's just a relative comparison to something else we use as a reference.  Based on everything I have tested and reviewed so far, DX200 became that "reference" to my ears.

It is ibasso marketing strat. I am pretty sure they already prepared amp module to increase low end body. :cool:

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #5,013 of 22,021

Sometimes we focus so much on the sound of headphones, that we forget about the source having its own contributing factor (not just synergy but the actual sound sig of the source).  A few people already mentioned to me they are not crazy about dx200, and after a further chat they disclosed about wanting more impact and weight in the low end, on top of the L-shaped (or V-shaped) sig of their headphones.  I guess DX200 is not for bassheads, but rather for purist
biggrin.gif
  I find DX200 to be a true Reference quality DAP, even more than LPG where mid-bass has a little more slam in comparison to DX200.  I mean, when we describe a sound as being warmer or brighter, in my opinion it's just a relative comparison to something else we use as a reference.  Based on everything I have tested and reviewed so far, DX200 became that "reference" to my ears.

It is ibasso marketing strat. I am pretty sure they already prepared amp module to increase low end body.
cool.gif

My wishful thinking, they gotta be working on a lower power amp module for IEMs (and efficient headphones) to boost battery life, hoping it still has both SE and BAL outputs.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #5,015 of 22,021
alright... I just ordered. this thing. better be improvement over my Note2 -> rsa predator dac/amp... or I'm blaming you guys. ;-D

not feeling as confident about it, though, after twister6's post above about some people wanting more impact and weight in the low end.
It will sound the same as your existing rig, all sources sound the same. All iems and headphones as well. It's all an illusion.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #5,016 of 22,021
alright... I just ordered. this thing. better be improvement over my Note2 -> rsa predator dac/amp... or I'm blaming you guys. ;-D

not feeling as confident about it, though, after twister6's post above about some people wanting more impact and weight in the low end.

The impact and weight in the low end is there as long as it is in the recording.
Many DAPs add weight. DX200 does not, which doesn't mean it is not capable of reproducing it if it IS there.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,018 of 22,021
It's all an illusion.

:)

I was recently making some comparisons between X5iii, QP1R and DX200 with my good buddy, @moedawg140. I won't speak for him, but to my ears, the QP1R definitely has more authority and bass slam (most noticeable on the Fostex TH-X00) without losing detail up top. I'm not dismissing the possibility that the DX200 is correct and the QP1R is artificially v-shaped. If it's all an illusion, I wish I could get that same illusion on the DX200 :wink: Even after toying with the EQ, I prefer the low-end punch of the QP1R.

P.S. On the flip side, the DX200 has a cleaner noise floor with sensitive IEMs.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #5,020 of 22,021

What I was referring to is that some people want enhanced low end impact/weight straight out of the box, and in my opinion the default AMP1 offers a very accurate, transparent, and articulate low end reproduction, but it's not boosted/enhanced.  If the original recording has bass - you will hear it in its all glory down to every nuance, nothing is reduced or rolled off.  The idea behind a source is to be neutral in order to accurately reproduce the music.  Then, you pick'n'choose headphones that suite your sound signature preference.  If you want more fine-tuning, use EQ (preferably Parametric EQ where you have control of bandwidth (Q) of every band for a more precise tuning - iBasso already mentioned it's on their to-do list, in addition to already included typical paragraphic EQ).  Or get an external Amp to drive it from DX200 Line Out, or use an external DAC/amp to drive from DX200 spdif digital output.  You have a lot of different options, starting with a default reference AMP1 module to using any external amp or dac/amp to color and to boost your sound, as well as more upcoming options for additional AMP modules.  It's all about flexibility which you get plenty in this case.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #5,021 of 22,021
Interesting observation: the battery life improves greatly then I use my totally wireless earbuds. I didn't drain the battery all of way down yet, but for 6 hours continually using it the battery meter went down 20% only. With wired earphones it's draining the battery down much faster.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #5,022 of 22,021
  Interesting observation: the battery life improves greatly then I use my totally wireless earbuds. I didn't drain the battery all of way down yet, but for 6 hours continually using it the battery meter went down 20% only. With wired earphones it's draining the battery down much faster.

In theory it makes sense - you're not pushing a lot of current throught the wires but you're generating some air waves instead.
Perhaps the whole AMP section is off in this setup?

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #5,023 of 22,021

In theory it makes sense - you're not pushing a lot of current throught the wires but you're generating some air waves instead.
Perhaps the whole AMP section is off in this setup?

Exactly!  Wireless exercises your digital encoding and BT antenna; you are not drawing as much current from your amp (gotta be significantly less since headphone output is not connected).

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #5,024 of 22,021

... Perhaps the whole AMP section is off in this setup?

I don't believe this is evidence of the AMP section being off.  

As merely anecdotal evidence, I know that the battery on my iPod Touch lasted much longer (>1.5X) when I was listening via a Bluetooth speaker vs. via wired headphones.

I suspect that well-done bluetooth uses much less juice than pushing current through wires.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #5,025 of 22,021
Of course the Amp section will be inactive when streaming something to a wireless speaker/headphone using Bluetooth or WiFi because only the wireless chip in the player is used for this. The DAC and Amp section are not needed for this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back