DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 6, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,381 of 22,021
I see that the 256gb card is available on Amazon and has been for some time. Frankly the 200gb holds a lot and is cheap now. I often don't even use the second slot on my daps that have it. 200 and some internal memory for some really favorite albums and for me, I am set. There is no way I would get my collection on 2 cards anyway, since I have a few TB of albums. 

Looking forward to what this dap can do. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,382 of 22,021
  To those who disappointed by only one slot, I remind you that Fiio had faced exactly the same problem with X7 design: with all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi included) they run out of free I/O SoC interfaces, and ended up with only one microSD slot. To connect two SD slots to one SoC interface, a "bridge chip" is required, that consumes power and takes additional space.

As I understand, the problem that iBasso faced is exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for them to implement two slots in DX80, but DX80 does not have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Onkyo DP-X1 has two slots, but it uses Qualcomm SoC, not a RockChip.

Taking what you say as correct then iBasso would have known from the start since they chose the Rockchip and were well aware of it's 'limitations' that they could only implement one mSD slot so why promise 2?

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,383 of 22,021

To those who disappointed by only one slot, I remind you that Fiio had faced exactly the same problem with X7 design: with all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi included) they run out of free I/O SoC interfaces, and ended up with only one microSD slot. To connect two SD slots to one SoC interface, a "bridge chip" is required, that consumes power and takes additional space.

As I understand, the problem that iBasso faced is exactly the same. It wasn't a problem for them to implement two slots in DX80, but DX80 does not have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Onkyo DP-X1 has two slots, but it uses Qualcomm SoC, not a RockChip.

Taking what you say as correct then iBasso would have known from the start since they chose the Rockchip and were well aware of it's 'limitations' that they could only implement one mSD slot so why promise 2?

That original spec was posted on 12/17/15, that was too long ago.  If you look at the first post on this thread, there is a prototype circuit board with 2 separate uSD slots.  So the original intention was indeed to have two cards.  Perhaps they ran into the same problem as X7, and had to make a decision between keeping 2 card slots or improving battery life.  As I mentioned before, extra 100mA of drain can really affect your battery life.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,384 of 22,021
That original spec was posted on 12/17/15, that was too long ago.  If you look at the first post on this thread, there is a prototype circuit board with 2 separate uSD slots.  So the original intention was indeed to have two cards.  Perhaps they ran into the same problem as X7, and had to make a decision between keeping 2 card slots or improving battery life.  As I mentioned before, extra 100mA of drain can really affect your battery life.

And any engineer worth their salt would have known that going in and not made that promise a year ago. Even if you don't want it to be called a promise, the decision was made a while ago to drop to 1 uSD. They could have told us then and people could have made other plans.

Within a couple hours of this announcement I pulled the trigger on a used AK240 and will unsubscribe from this thread. A year ago this sounded like the perfect DAP but vaporware devolved into reality.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #1,385 of 22,021
And any engineer worth their salt would have known that going in and not made that promise a year ago. Even if you don't want it to be called a promise, the decision was made a while ago to drop to 1 uSD. They could have told us then and people could have made other plans.

Within a couple hours of this announcement I pulled the trigger on a used AK240 and will unsubscribe from this thread. A year ago this sounded like the perfect DAP but vaporware devolved into reality.

I agree with this, and I also think it is a mistake to announce DAPs a year in advance. You should announce a product a few months prior at most...otherwise you are just losing your audience.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,386 of 22,021
  I agree with this, and I also think it is a mistake to announce DAPs a year in advance. You should announce a product a few months prior at most...otherwise you are just losing your audience.

totally agree not a smart move by ibasso

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #1,388 of 22,021
Just like Swiss cheese model 
biggrin.gif
 Once the price is released, maybe there is more declination.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,389 of 22,021

I agree with this

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #1,392 of 22,021
Yeah well if you follow last year's trend of course...

Indeed! It took them some time, but now they finally have a challenging alternative for the FiiO X7 imo
rolleyes.gif

The good news is, I would probably pick the DX200 between those two.
The bad news...ah well...''broken record mode...sigh''
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #1,394 of 22,021
  Indeed! It took them some time, but now they finally have a challenging alternative for the FiiO X7 imo
rolleyes.gif

The good news is, I would probably pick the DX200 between those two.
The bad news...ah well...''broken record mode...sigh''
redface.gif

I sold my X7 and is waiting for the DX200...if Ibasso got the UI right and has a stable firmware, (SQ depending in preference) I believe we'll see a lot more X7 in the For Sale section.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,395 of 22,021
I was totally down for the DX200 as long as it had 2 card slots. If they go with one then IMO it needs 256 internal. I'm ok with that. I'm not in the least bit interested in their plug in amp modules, I'll use EQ to tailor the sound to the balance I want, not that I ever do use EQ I just match IEMs to DAP.

I can see why they think they might need a decent USP, like different amp modules, to help them differentiate in a crowded market but in reality like most users I want good interface, great sound and killer battery life, anything else is a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back