DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 5, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,351 of 22,021
Here's Paul's response at FB to the question of the 2 microSD:

"Our first version had 2 slots but the chip required to bridge 2 slots uses 100mA and that cut down on play time a lot. So we have 64gb of internal memory and one slot to give better play time."

If two slots uses 100ma, then just use one slot, one SD card slot and Ibasso can also bump the 64gb to 128 Gb without having to redesign anything.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #1,352 of 22,021

Here's Paul's response at FB to the question of the 2 microSD:

"Our first version had 2 slots but the chip required to bridge 2 slots uses 100mA and that cut down on play time a lot. So we have 64gb of internal memory and one slot to give better play time."

If two slots uses 100ma, then just use one slot, one SD card slot and Ibasso can also bump the 64gb to 128 Gb without having to redesign anything.

Actually, the issue is with a controller required for a dual uSD reader.  That particular controller draws 100mA of current and puts a toll on a battery life.  That was a compromise they had to make in order to keep a decent battery life.  Not sure about the decision of 64GB vs 128GB.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #1,353 of 22,021
Actually, the issue is with a controller required for a dual uSD reader.  That particular controller draws 100mA of current and puts a toll on a battery life.  That was a compromise they had to make in order to keep a decent battery life.  Not sure about the decision of 64GB vs 128GB.

I fully understand that. That is why I said if two slots require a controller, a bridge or whatever term for the part that requires 100ma of current, then just use one slot then you won't need the additional chip that draw the additional current but make it up with a bigger slot. That all I am saying.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,354 of 22,021

I fully understand that. That is why I said if two slots require a controller, a bridge or whatever term for the part that requires 100ma of current, then just use one slot then you won't need the additional chip that draw the additional current but make it up with a bigger slot. That all I am saying.

Didn't realize you were talking about SD card, rather than uSD.  Yeah, too late for SD, that's a major redesign.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,355 of 22,021
I just realized it does not supprt iso format..

Hope there will a 128gb version..

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,357 of 22,021
I mainly use Tidal for my music. Wouldnt i just be able to stream tidal over wifi from my phone and never really bither adding too much to the dap itself in terms of files? I would never be able to fill 64+large menory card, probably never fill 64 actually lol

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,358 of 22,021
I think the situation is there are any number of good sounding and measuring DAPs so features like battery life, expandable storage,size and good UI etc... actually do take on quite a bit of importance, for me at least.

That's exactly the point. At this stage great SQ has to be a 'given' otherwise this thing is dead in the water. There are plenty of great sounding DAPs about but they involve various compromises in features / style.

Judging by this and other threads there's a lot of demand for a high storage capacity player. If the DX200 had been built to accommodate two full size SD cards a few folk might reject it because of its slightly larger size, but vastly more would buy it for this unique selling point.

I don't get this 100mA thing either. Why would an card read controller ever draw 100mA 
confused.gif
. The existing DAPs with twin card slots don't have a problem with battery life.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,359 of 22,021
I'm not as much disappointed by the single µSD slot as I am by the internal storage, which I expected to be at least of 256GB for a flagship DAP.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #1,360 of 22,021
  why USB Type C????

Because it's the more modern standard and features a couple of benefits over Micro USB.

Believe me, before I had any device with the new USB C standard, I thought it was unnecessary and doesn't have any real benefits. This opinion changed drastically after I discovered what USB C has to offer.

Imo it is great that iBasso is going for for USB C.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,361 of 22,021
  Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong but I think just about everyone on this thread/site cares about SQ. Why else would we be on an audiophile site?
confused_face(1).gif

It may not be "the end of the world" as you state but there are those of us who stayed on this thread for certain reasons and one of which was having enough storage space to accommodate our entire music collection, without having to swap out cards. Especially since it's on the first page and there are other alternatives.
Yes I'm more than disappointed that I've spent close to a year monitoring this site.
Don't minimize peoples feelings because it doesn't mean as much to you... 

No, the majority of people here are audiophiles and by that definition only care about the hardware.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #1,362 of 22,021

Because it's the more modern standard and features a couple of benefits over Micro USB.

Believe me, before I had any device with the new USB C standard, I thought it was unnecessary and doesn't have any real benefits. This opinion changed drastically after I discovered what USB C has to offer.

Imo it is great that iBasso is going for for USB C.

Yes OK.............why don't you mention those benefits to the person to whom your responding to.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,363 of 22,021

Yes OK.............why don't you mention those benefits to the person to whom your responding to.

Mainly because there are dozens of articles about this topic listed on Google that everybody can access within seconds.

Some benefits are a sturdier connection (the connector snaps in more securely than w/ Micro USB), faster data transfer rates, usability in both directions, much faster charging (if the chip and charger support it).

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,364 of 22,021
I'm just curious what the argument against USB C is other than the need for a new cable which will probably be included with the device anyway? I guess stackers would need new interconnects also...

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #1,365 of 22,021

Lol...gotta love a good workaround (if it works indeed)
rolleyes.gif

For a TOTL DAP you shouldn't need a workaround like that. Hence the disappointment from many.

Well, I think the OP of the workaround meant it as a joke (although it probably will work) and therefor I responded that way. I'm not seriously considering using that workaround myself. Disappointment, anger and frustration where the emotions I went through when I read about the change yesterday evening. But life moves on and so will I.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's obvious that it is a deal breaker for several people. Not one of them said they don't care about SQ or that this is the end of the world. They are disappointed and rightfully so considering 2 slots was implied or stated early on. I totally empathize with them, although I am absolutely fine with 1 slot myself.

Exactly this!

The same here, I don't even have that many files to fill up a single large capacity uSD.  But, I do realize that for those with a big DSD collection extra storage is a plus.

Here is a reality, just like with any IEM/CIEM or full size cans, you can't please everybody because of different requirements and individual sound preference. The same goes for DAPs. DX200 will not be for everybody, and people will have to figure out their priorities and make compromises.

Yep, luckily there are some interesting competitors on the market (QP1R, WM1A and Opus 2 come to mind) and more will certainly follow in 2017
rolleyes.gif

I just realized it does not supprt iso format..

Hope there will a 128gb version..

That would be nice...

I'm not as much disappointed by the single µSD slot as I am by the internal storage, which I expected to be at least of 256GB for a flagship DAP.

...and even nicer, but the reality so far is 64gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back