DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #12,827 of 22,021
I have only listened to amp3 and amp5 for awhile and now got the amp4s which has definitely better sound than amp3 and amp5 initially at least to my ears even though with different cables and IEMs (JH Angie II+ PW-05+4.4 plug) but when listening to EE Spartans+ EA Ares II+2.5+ibasso CA02 the sound is not full (thin and bored) compared to Angie II (full and bassy). Maybe need more time to breaking in?!

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #12,828 of 22,021
What's used: Same dx200, same firmware, same audio file, same IEM, same IEM cable. Only AMP4S in place of AMP4.

First impressions of AMP4S: AMP4S is almost the same as AMP4 with a slight difference. I hear the punch of the bass a little more than what I did with AMP4. The guitar strings show a bit more sparkle in how it sounds???. Have to listen some more to confirm this.

Compared to AMP4S, AMP4 seemed to be sticking more closer to reference. This is relative to AMP4 and AMP4S only.

AMP4S sounds a little more musical. AMP4 seemed to have that little edge over AMP4S with that soundstage width.

Let's see how much it remains the same and how much it changes after burn-in. But this one is certainly a keeper. No regrets getting it even while having AMP4.
Would you say that you amp4s is a touch warmer than the original amp4?

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #12,829 of 22,021
Would you say that you amp4s is a touch warmer than the original amp4?
I wouldn't call it warm. Because the highs are equally raised. It still retains the a similar sound signature to amp4 and is balanced across all frequencies. Yet it seems tuned towards a fun, exciting signature. So the lows are punchy and the highs have a sparkle. Not overly done and stays within limits. but in comparison to amp4 seems slightly elevated in a likeable way.

Both are almost similar yet tuned slightly different. But not drastically different. :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #12,830 of 22,021
Welcome to the gang!! Now you just need an amp4s to play around hahah.

Anyways there’s no such things as newbie questions or anything. This thread is created for any DX200 loving person to come in and discuss anything you wished to!

As for setting wise, there are un fact not much settings for you to play with. Other then the digital filters which are IMO minimally in changing the sound.

However if you wanna have access to Google store etc, and use Spotify etc. Maybe you can check out lurkers latest firmware!

Otherwise just sit back and enjoy the music man!!!!

Thanks, i'm dont worry my head's very easily turned so i'll be here reading avidly about everyone's impressions of the amp4s. One thing i am struggling with is finding the safe listening volumes on various devices since i've moved to my first pair of CIEMs. I have been experiencing some sensitivity to higher frequencies, which my to children readily supply and i can only assume i'm listening too loud, even though it doesn't seem so while listening. I havent experienced this with universals, but appreciate that the sound outlet is further from the eardrum with CIEMs.

I see you have various EE Ciems in your arsenal and while i appreciate their sensitivity/ impedance specs will all be slightly different i'd really appreciate any steer on safe volume (<85db) settings on the DX200.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #12,831 of 22,021
Okay so last night i put 23 albums on the dx200 and put the same albums onto my 256gb card , all the albums were fine on the dx200 but only 16 of them played on the memory card . The seven that woiuldnt play had no songs in the folder, so does the dx200 play everything thats thrown at it and cards need different tagging system ? All were tagged through mp3 tag

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #12,832 of 22,021
WD HDD -> iDefender** -> USB-A female to USB-C male adapter -> DX200
____________^ Powebank

The link of usb hub is for macbook. cannot apply to DX200. iDefender is the only option to have both data playback + charging.

I have obtained an iDefender, and am using a Nonda USBA to C converter. The USB stick is mounted correctly as OTG in both Mango and Android (Lurker’s latest firmware), but when I connect a USB power supply via the iDefender’s mini USB port, it lights up but doesn’t charge the DX200. Could you please tell me whether anything special is needed to have the Dx200 charge while reading from the OTG drive?

Many thanks

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #12,833 of 22,021
I have obtained an iDefender, and am using a Nonda USBA to C converter. The USB stick is mounted correctly as OTG in both Mango and Android (Lurker’s latest firmware), but when I connect a USB power supply via the iDefender’s mini USB port, it lights up but doesn’t charge the DX200. Could you please tell me whether anything special is needed to have the Dx200 charge while reading from the OTG drive?

Many thanks

Need to connect power supply first then connect otg drive later.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #12,834 of 22,021
Okay so last night i put 23 albums on the dx200 and put the same albums onto my 256gb card , all the albums were fine on the dx200 but only 16 of them played on the memory card . The seven that woiuldnt play had no songs in the folder, so does the dx200 play everything thats thrown at it and cards need different tagging system ? All were tagged through mp3 tag

Weird. I just tested having multiple albums of same name and it worked fine.

Try rescanning both the SD and the internal memory together again and try?

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #12,835 of 22,021
Thanks, i'm dont worry my head's very easily turned so i'll be here reading avidly about everyone's impressions of the amp4s. One thing i am struggling with is finding the safe listening volumes on various devices since i've moved to my first pair of CIEMs. I have been experiencing some sensitivity to higher frequencies, which my to children readily supply and i can only assume i'm listening too loud, even though it doesn't seem so while listening. I havent experienced this with universals, but appreciate that the sound outlet is further from the eardrum with CIEMs.

I see you have various EE Ciems in your arsenal and while i appreciate their sensitivity/ impedance specs will all be slightly different i'd really appreciate any steer on safe volume (<85db) settings on the DX200.

Yes EE iems are crazy sensitive. I’m listening at around 36 Low gain on amp4s for ZEUS.

However the new models are less sensitive so they require higher volume.

Hmm I don’t think that there is a safe volume option but I know Sony players has those and people actually rockbox their players to remove the volume restriction HAHAH

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #12,836 of 22,021
Yes EE iems are crazy sensitive. I’m listening at around 36 Low gain on amp4s for ZEUS.

However the new models are less sensitive so they require higher volume.

Hmm I don’t think that there is a safe volume option but I know Sony players has those and people actually rockbox their players to remove the volume restriction HAHAH

thats really interesting, because i'm listening to the Phantoms (ciem) on low gain at 20-22 (in quiet listening environment) - 25-32 when i was on the train and walking around london yesterday. This doesn't sound loud but i have residual sensitivity to high pitch noise which says it is too loud, but any quieter and i cant hear the full range of the music i'm listening too. Weird as i didnt have this problem with listening the universals before buying the phantoms.

Anyway thank you for the feedback and i probably take this stream of consciousness to the appropriate hearing safety thread... Despite all this very please so far with DX200 whilst realising how spoilt i've been with mac OSX all these years :wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #12,837 of 22,021
thats really interesting, because i'm listening to the Phantoms (ciem) on low gain at 20-22 (in quiet listening environment) - 25-32 when i was on the train and walking around london yesterday. This doesn't sound loud but i have residual sensitivity to high pitch noise which says it is too loud, but any quieter and i cant hear the full range of the music i'm listening too. Weird as i didnt have this problem with listening the universals before buying the phantoms.

Anyway thank you for the feedback and i probably take this stream of consciousness to the appropriate hearing safety thread... Despite all this very please so far with DX200 whilst realising how spoilt i've been with mac OSX all these years :wink:
I'm at about 30 in the office, but 70 on the train with the Phantom. With the UM Mason v3 I was at about 84. High gain always. Have a feeling I listen louder than many lol.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #12,838 of 22,021
Lol. I’m guessing sound from Spotify is softer as compared to the mango app right. I listen about 20 clicks higher for Spotify lol..

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #12,839 of 22,021
Lol. I’m guessing sound from Spotify is softer as compared to the mango app right. I listen about 20 clicks higher for Spotify lol..

You have to turn off volume normalization in the Spotify app to fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back