DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #8,162 of 22,021
Hello, what about is does the amp3 with xelento? I am about to order a cable with 4, 4 mm.

Best regards

Great pair up, just tried AMP3 with Xelento and CB13 cable. Sounds better in high gain, brings up more details in upper mids, also lifting it up a bit, which balances mids nicely with a strong articulate bass impact. In low gain, the sound is a little more L-shaped, while in high gain it's more balanced.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #8,163 of 22,021
Has any one of you tested Noble Katana with AMP3? I am currently driving my Katana with AMP1 / balanced and was wondering what the AMP3 would sound like...

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #8,164 of 22,021
Well, it will come down to personal preferences. It will be very hard for me to say this, the DX200 is to the least very close to WM1Z if not the same level in performances. Very different sound signatures

I find that for me with FW 2.3 and the AMP3 I get a little better separation and dynamics with the DX200 over the WM1Z. I enjoy both but
ultimately the difference I hear is obvious but that is with my favorite FW 2.3. Since 2.3 isn't optimized for the AMP3 and you get hiss until music is played, when the 200 is first turned on, I start the music and am good to go.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #8,165 of 22,021

I find that for me with FW 2.3 and the AMP3 I get a little better separation and dynamics with the DX200 over the WM1Z. I enjoy both but
ultimately the difference I hear is obvious but that is with my favorite FW 2.3. Since 2.3 isn't optimized for the AMP3 and you get hiss until music is played, when the 200 is first turned on, I start the music and am good to go.

It will take time to burn in properly and throughoutly inspecting the full potentials of Dx200 and Amp3 using Utopia and my sa5000. But so far, I agree with what you just stated

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #8,166 of 22,021
Actually, I'm not complaining, I paid nothing for the amp, BUT I was asked for my opinion and that's what I hear through my IEMs.

Would it better if I sugar coated, lied or said something positive?
MMMmm sugar. lol
There are many variables. You can only report what you hear and that is all we ask. I look forward to you trying the IT03 with the AMP3. I have tried the AMP3 with 8 ohm hybrid IEMs and do not get a change in bass character but there are a number of possibilities. What may look good on paper does not always come true. That is part of the fun, sometimes.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #8,168 of 22,021
After more than 300hrs burn in.. Now loving high gain better than low for my layla.. fuller sound and better bass slam. Vocal seem a bit harsher than low gain but easier to listen to overall. What a great purchase dx200! Reasonable price for TOTL sound.

already ordered amp2 from my local dealer. Cant wait to play around with it soon when it arrives.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8,169 of 22,021
do try it with IT03, I think you have that one as well? Do you have CB12/CB13 cables? IT03 w/CB13 combo (even at $455 price tag) can rival resolution/transparency/layering of some of the TOTL flagships at 2x-3x its price.

I would like to back up this statement. I have the DX200 and the IT03 with iBasso upgraded cables and my 'other' IEM (TOTL) has been shelved!
The iBasso combination above is astonishingly good, even more so when you consider:
a) the price points of each product
b) the fact that this result is using AMP1 (and having A/B tested both IEM's with AMP2 and regular single-ended cables too)

I don't own a hat, but if I did, I'd take it off to @Paul - iBasso and the team :)

If/when i get AMP3 and the IT04, I think I'm going to also have to invest in a hat :p

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #8,170 of 22,021
When our engineers got done with the AMP3 even I was surprised with what they had done. But we will not stop and will continue to work to bring you the best we can for your ultimate musical enjoyment. TOTL sound that is more affordable without cutting corners.

In my humble opinion, it's already mission accomplished :)
But I'm very interested to see what else the future will bring from you guys :D

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #8,171 of 22,021
In my humble opinion, it's already mission accomplished :)
But I'm very interested to see what else the future will bring from you guys :D

Very much agreed - at least SQ-wise. As a portable, for me, device SQ is as good as it gets. Even with AMP1. I did not touch my Hugo since I received my DX200. With all due respect, I don't get giving out €3000+ for the source when there is DX200. I would spend that difference rather on a second hand Utopia or HE1000.

Featurewise for future models aptX-HD support is a must, I think. And more stable SW.

Still my head is spinning around the question "how will my Katana sound with AMP3". :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #8,172 of 22,021
I have several sets of phones that are single ended without any option to change to balanced cables. For this reason, I am definitely interested in Amp4 assuming it will be a single ended version of Amp3 with similar high current and high voltage.

I have been comparing the DX200 with Amp1 to both my home receiver headphone output and my AR-M2. So far, with about 80 hours of burn-in, the DX200 has a bit less bass than both the home receiver and the AR. I notice this mostly as a tonal balance issue. Specifically, the DX200 can produce equal bass to the other sources, but when it does, the highs are noticeably louder on the DX200 than on the other sources. This is with Sony MDR-7520 cans (see some amazing comments on these here: https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro...ets-micro-proaudio-general-hearfrompros.shtml) and with Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs.

Also, so far, I would have to say that the sound of the AR-M2 is a bit smoother and more musical than the DX200. I believe the AR has the best and most powerful analog section of any DAP at the moment. It is the first DAP I found that sounded as good or better than other DAPs even when the others were playing through external dedicated headphone amps. On the other hand, the user interface on the DX-200 is far better. I am hoping that with Amp4, the DX200 will equal or surpass the AR.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #8,173 of 22,021
Very much agreed - at least SQ-wise. As a portable, for me, device SQ is as good as it gets. Even with AMP1. I did not touch my Hugo since I received my DX200. With all due respect, I don't get giving out €3000+ for the source when there is DX200. I would spend that difference rather on a second hand Utopia or HE1000.

:)
agrre with you. hugo is good stuff but too much expensive(fr the price i prefere mojo). but the sound of dx200 combined with price and possibilities of use is a clearly winner

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,174 of 22,021
I have several sets of phones that are single ended without any option to change to balanced cables. For this reason, I am definitely interested in Amp4 assuming it will be a single ended version of Amp3 with similar high current and high voltage.

I have been comparing the DX200 with Amp1 to both my home receiver headphone output and my AR-M2. So far, with about 80 hours of burn-in, the DX200 has a bit less bass than both the home receiver and the AR. I notice this mostly as a tonal balance issue. Specifically, the DX200 can produce equal bass to the other sources, but when it does, the highs are noticeably louder on the DX200 than on the other sources. This is with Sony MDR-7520 cans (see some amazing comments on these here: https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro...ets-micro-proaudio-general-hearfrompros.shtml) and with Sony XBA-Z5 IEMs.

Also, so far, I would have to say that the sound of the AR-M2 is a bit smoother and more musical than the DX200. I believe the AR has the best and most powerful analog section of any DAP at the moment. It is the first DAP I found that sounded as good or better than other DAPs even when the others were playing through external dedicated headphone amps. On the other hand, the user interface on the DX-200 is far better. I am hoping that with Amp4, the DX200 will equal or surpass the AR.

If you can try the balanced in the future it would be to your advantage. The voltage and drive ability of the AMP1 in balanced is twice as much as single ended. The AMP2 would be a good option for you in single ended. The AMP4 is a 4.4 balanced amplifier that is high current and high voltage.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back