DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 4, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #6,901 of 22,021
Hey

Actually I would like to know the differences between the two as well please. . . . I just got a new DX200 (my first one had the faulty touchscreen), so I have to start over with ROM installments. . . Do any of your ROMS allow for improve sound quality (or third party app access) with TIDAL? That is the prominent app that I use outside of the music stored on my DX200.

Also Lurker on your mod page you have this statement for USB Audio:
If you want more than one USB Audio compatible music player, use Active player feature to avoid problems.

Can you please explain where this "Active Player" feature would be located? If I go with your ROM, I'll most likely have both UAPP and Hiby downloaded on my device (again because of TIDAL access)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I am not the best one who can answer 100% correct. But based on my opinion.

1. Difference about these two FWs: Actually I don't understand what they argue in Modded ROM Thread since I'm not a programmer. But IMO..
Lurker0 FW usually comes to create nice add-on like USB Audio to make user be able to play native sampling rate in Third Party app, and he also fixes iBasso' s latest bug that Battery indicator percentage is missing. However USB Audio still have a bug while playing 44.1 kHz songs, it creates random tiny white noise which you can hear if the song is quiet and slow.

While Win X states that he find ways to code it for sound quality enhancement in his FW. I don't know if enhancement is the right term but I can feel it does have different in Sound signature in Free ROM compared to Stock one. (Actually Lurker's as well) However in latest ROM, he tries to reduce CPU core to 1 core for battery saving, It does cause player to reboot itself when the screen is off for a period of time.

Note: I didn't say their FW's sound quality are changed in positive or negative terms. Try by yourself is best way. It might be time-consuming at first but you will then have a clear mindset whether you will go to which rom. Totally worth time spent, I believe.

2. If you want to use Tidal, you can use it freely in Tidal App if you are into 44.1 KHz lossless CD quality since 44.1 kHz is the native sampling rate for third party app.
But if you want to play MQA natively then you need Lurker FW and use it along with UAPP. In UAPP, you can access to Tidal and play MQA file natively thanks to USB App

3. I believe "Active Player" in Lurker's term means any player you are running at that time.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #6,902 of 22,021
I DL'd MX Player...it's very good, nicer in some ways than VLC. Apollo seems okay but need to play with it more. I'm also evaluating Neutron & PowerAmp. I'm hesitant in purchasing Neutron only because of the UI and no built-in metadata editor. I got the Hiby new beta and that looks excellent. I installed my paid Rocket Player on as well and that seems to be doing well. Too many audio apps to play with!

One thing I notice with your ROM is the DX200 takes a long time to boot from the Power Off state. A long press of power button (3+ seconds) looks to turn the screen on, it brightens a little but remains dark with no image. Then I need to press power several times before OS GUI appears. Have you or anyone else experienced this?

It could be slower due to some build.prop mods I put on or power management patch I added to make device more responsive. Apollo in my ROM is a special version that should give noticeable change in sound signature. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #6,903 of 22,021
Can you please explain where this "Active Player" feature would be located?
I've tried to document all the features here. "Active player" is an item in the Settings. Here is what I wrote there:
Active player - choose the music player application that you currently use most of time, even if you have only one USB Audio compatible player. If there are more than one recognized players, the application hides other players (they are still visible in Android Settings-Apps menu), and, on USB device attached event, grants access to the USB device without questions and launches the player chosen. This eliminates possible conflicts and simplifies the use. If you want all your players back, select "I'll control it myself!" and tap OK.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6,905 of 22,021
I've tried to document all the features here. "Active player" is an item in the Settings. Here is what I wrote there:

Okay I'll take a look and see... I think this is what happened with my previous DX200. I had downloaded the UAPP, but when I switched to Hiby, the UAPP disappeared completely and I could never figure out why it never allowed me to see it on my home screen.

I am not the best one who can answer 100% correct. But based on my opinion.

1. Difference about these two FWs: Actually I don't understand what they argue in Modded ROM Thread since I'm not a programmer. But IMO..
Lurker0 FW usually comes to create nice add-on like USB Audio to make user be able to play native sampling rate in Third Party app, and he also fixes iBasso' s latest bug that Battery indicator percentage is missing. However USB Audio still have a bug while playing 44.1 kHz songs, it creates random tiny white noise which you can hear if the song is quiet and slow.

While Win X states that he find ways to code it for sound quality enhancement in his FW. I don't know if enhancement is the right term but I can feel it does have different in Sound signature in Free ROM compared to Stock one. (Actually Lurker's as well) However in latest ROM, he tries to reduce CPU core to 1 core for battery saving, It does cause player to reboot itself when the screen is off for a period of time.

Note: I didn't say their FW's sound quality are changed in positive or negative terms. Try by yourself is best way. It might be time-consuming at first but you will then have a clear mindset whether you will go to which rom. Totally worth time spent, I believe.

2. If you want to use Tidal, you can use it freely in Tidal App if you are into 44.1 KHz lossless CD quality since 44.1 kHz is the native sampling rate for third party app.
But if you want to play MQA natively then you need Lurker FW and use it along with UAPP. In UAPP, you can access to Tidal and play MQA file natively thanks to USB App

3. I believe "Active Player" in Lurker's term means any player you are running at that time.

I do want to play MQA natively... I ask regarding Tidal because I've seen software players that connect to Tidal accounts (Onkyo, UAPP, etc) and have always wondered if they improve the sound from the native Tidal app or not. But I think I will flash both ROMs and see which one suits my needs better...

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #6,906 of 22,021
IMG_2709.JPG

I'm on max 150 volume high gain to drive the Hifiman Susvara...

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #6,907 of 22,021
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #6,909 of 22,021
Amp1/SE. I don't have the Amp2.

and I assume Susvara doesn't come with a balanced terminated (2.5mm TRRS) cable? Cause I'm wondering, if you are maxing out SE output of AMP1, BAL output doubles the voltage swing from 3V to 6V and that should give you a power boost with some headroom to drive Susvara :wink:

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6,910 of 22,021
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,911 of 22,021

I'm on max 150 volume high gain to drive the Hifiman Susvara...
You need to use it balanced. IMO, it would sound better also. I use the DX200 with many headphones balanced and there aren't any volume issues and plenty of headroom.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #6,912 of 22,021
You need to use it balanced. IMO, it would sound better also. I use the DX200 with many headphones balanced and there aren't any volume issues and plenty of headroom.
Sadly not my headphones. I paid a visit to the Hifiman Japan office to demo their headphones and had my DX200 with me. Quite naturally they supplied with cables they had packaged with the headphones - i.e. XLR or 6.3mm SE. I was lucky to bring my own 6.3mm -> 3.5mm and I don't have any XLR-2.5mm/4.4mm adapters.

Really though the Susvara does need a gruntier amp - I had my WA8 transportable and that was on max volume.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #6,913 of 22,021
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #6,915 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back