DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #21,421 of 22,021
AMP9 doesn’t sound tubey in the usual sense of the word, it’s not warm and soft, it’s fairly accurate with a lot of detail but its main selling point for me is the analogue signature : it has an incredible dynamic range that smoothens out even compressed music (think anti loudness war filter :p) and a Vynil like quality to great recordings, the low level detail is simply incredible and it’s going to sound cliché but you can hear minute details (not as in everything is sharper, but rather everything has more nuances like going from 65000 colors screen to millions of colors).

This makes AMP9 very emotional and it sure makes for a new listening experience of every of my IEMs. It’s simply the best audio buy I have done in a while, stunning...

Great impression, thank you! And what about soundstage in Amp9? On par with Amp8?

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #21,422 of 22,021
Great impression, thank you! And what about soundstage in Amp9? On par with Amp8?

I don't have AMP8 anymore to compare and I ran it with DX200 vs DX220 today but I'd say soundstage is wider and taller on AMP8 than AMP9, that's from memory so not that reliable. AMP8 has a bolder, bigger sound from what I recall, AMP9 is more about depth, layering and nuances. Now my AMP9 is at 12 hours burn-in so this is not the end word.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #21,423 of 22,021
Amp8 stills offer the craziest soundstage, but the sound signatures in finesses and balances out of the box....that goes to Amp9. The Amp8 also has the craziest driving power I have known and seen, and the Amp9 is very low in loudness and gain in comparison.

Simply put, Amp9 is the best sound performances out of the box for all amp modules in stock form after some burn-in, and it is also built with the highest grade components I have seen, the only one with Nu-Tubes too! And only 3.5mm

The Amp8 is only 4.4mm and Solid State, and is the best SS up-to this moment. Both Amp8 and Amp9 provide a vastly differences for different people desires. If you want some fluidity and analog like signature, that is Amp9 . If you want soundstage and airiness, driving power from Ibasso house sound then the Amp8 can not be beat

Amp3 is also not to be looked down at, similar to Amp8, it also offers great power output and Solid State performances with the uses of op-amps while different in sound signatures it provides both a balanced out 2.5mm and lineout 2.5mm. The Amp3 has the best lineout performances that I have seen and observed by far.

Here are some pictures of Amp9 internals. You will see a lot of Panasonic POS-capacitors and a couple ECHU caps, also many other polymer caps by ROHMS, which is the first for any modules. Most noticeably is the innovations on creating the silicon suspension system for the Tubes to lay on to negate microphonic by movements and warrants the uses of portability

Please do not turn the VR-pots, they are adjusted under a scopes for the best performances, changing it will change the values and degrade the performances
3A48866A-16F4-4728-AB68-80F38D6928BF.jpeg 13B9B005-0D42-4AF3-AF03-5E39C93FF214.jpeg AF2F23E6-1955-4F80-9504-671949FAB01D.jpeg 42980028-675D-4C99-B847-A276DC4D74B4.jpeg F26CF004-8237-4820-87A5-B426016F431B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #21,425 of 22,021
I appreciate all the sound impressions of the amp9 but I am wondering if it is capable of driving average full size cans or, say harder-to-drive ety4s.
It has no problems driving Ibasso sr-1, I had to max out volume for Hd800s and still sound wonderful. The problems of Amp9 isn’t the driving factors, more like the loudness DB in gain is limited

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #21,426 of 22,021
You unzip just one time and then use that zip file placed directly on the card to do the update.

Thanks Paul. This is the first firmware update that I have had to do and it worked like a dream

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #21,427 of 22,021
It has no problems driving Ibasso sr-1, I had to max out volume for Hd800s and still sound wonderful. The problems of Amp9 isn’t the driving factors, more like the loudness DB in gain is limited
Tried the DX200/AMP9 with the Audeze LCD/XC. Volume set around 115, high gain, works (and sounds) perfectly.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #21,428 of 22,021
Ordered the AMP9 12 hours ago. Still did not arrive. Why does it take so long :) ....... So many large aircraft's fly daily between China and Holland, Such a small package.......

Well it’s two days to leave the Hong Kong and travel to the U.K. and then two days to travel from Leicester to home (about 200 miles)

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #21,429 of 22,021
Hello guys, what do you recommend for AMP module for balanced output 4.4mm jack, high power and good balance (not too warm, not too bright)? I plan to buy the DX220. I heard of a Ti version but this discussion is very very long, so I hope to find some gentleman for some advice. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #21,430 of 22,021
Hello guys, what do you recommend for AMP module for balanced output 4.4mm jack, high power and good balance (not too warm, not too bright)? I plan to buy the DX220. I heard of a Ti version but this discussion is very very long, so I hope to find some gentleman for some advice. Thanks!

You should get the DX220/amp1mk2 (already good combination and extra amp8 with 4.4.
DX200TI is better than DX200 but some headfiers prefer DX220. To me DX200TI sounds more focus and meatier than DX220 especially with amp9 (nutube).

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #21,431 of 22,021
The AMP8 is excellent.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #21,432 of 22,021
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #21,433 of 22,021
Amp8 stills offer the craziest soundstage, but the sound signatures in finesses and balances out of the box....that goes to Amp9. The Amp8 also has the craziest driving power I have known and seen, and the Amp9 is very low in loudness and gain in comparison.

Simply put, Amp9 is the best sound performances out of the box for all amp modules in stock form after some burn-in, and it is also built with the highest grade components I have seen, the only one with Nu-Tubes too! And only 3.5mm

The Amp8 is only 4.4mm and Solid State, and is the best SS up-to this moment. Both Amp8 and Amp9 provide a vastly differences for different people desires. If you want some fluidity and analog like signature, that is Amp9 . If you want soundstage and airiness, driving power from Ibasso house sound then the Amp8 can not be beat

Amp3 is also not to be looked down at, similar to Amp8, it also offers great power output and Solid State performances with the uses of op-amps while different in sound signatures it provides both a balanced out 2.5mm and lineout 2.5mm. The Amp3 has the best lineout performances that I have seen and observed by far.

Here are some pictures of Amp9 internals. You will see a lot of Panasonic POS-capacitors and a couple ECHU caps, also many other polymer caps by ROHMS, which is the first for any modules. Most noticeably is the innovations on creating the silicon suspension system for the Tubes to lay on to negate microphonic by movements and warrants the uses of portability

Please do not turn the VR-pots, they are adjusted under a scopes for the best performances, changing it will change the values and degrade the performances

I really wish AMP 8 had single ended mode as well :)

Would had made direct testing easier and quicker :)

I agree about AMP9, it is simply.... outstanding. LIKE REALLY AMAZING

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #21,434 of 22,021
Amp9 made it's appearance yesterday. Was suppose to be here Wednesday but no one home for delivery. $18 CDN customs/duties for those wondering.

After several minutes of tackling the heavily (stinky) taped shipping box I was able to hold the little beauty. Before slapping it on the DX200 I updated the DAP just to the iBasso v1.07 update. This was not an easy procedure. The DX200 had Lurker0's previous mod installed already and I'm not sure if that was the issue but the v1.07 would always get to 50% and fail. So after many attempts I factory reset the DX and then v1.07 successfully installed on to vanilla OS 8.1. Haven't bothered installing Lurker0's new mod for 1.07 yet. I still cannot connect DX to PC and directly access SDcard, always have to remove card from DAP and use a reader.

Initial impressions:
  • Volume is disappointingly lower than expected. Have it at 110 level just for "comfortable" listening. High Gain on. Used Mango standalone, haven't tried Android side.
  • Overall audio is good out of the box. I demo'd with Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith and Devotion Live (16bit FLAC) and the NuTube does it justice. Good depth and impact.
  • First listen with AKG N5005, no hiss of any kind and I wasn't expecting it.
  • Tube glow is green as expected, not blue like some others are reporting. (Blue/Gold Dress Syndrome?)
  • Screwdriver still boring.
Amp9 will stay on for a long while. I will get Lurker0 mod loaded as well this weekend.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #21,435 of 22,021
Hello guys, I have the possibility to buy a second hand DX200 for 600 Euros and I wonder what are the differences between DX200 and DX220. Is it reasonable to spend more for a brand new DX220 or should I take this occasion for the DX200? Since I have already some balanced 4.4mm cables, I am also planning to buy the AMP8 module.
Is there some audio quality differences between the two products considering the AMP8? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back