DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2,086 of 22,021

Yes, but the difference you're hearing might be just a difference in the EQ levels used on the mixing desk during another mastering of the album.

I'm not anti-MQA, I'm just saying it appears you are attributing the difference to MQA because you've heard a few MQA files and read some exciting MQA articles, when, it may be because of differences in mastering rather than having anything at all to do with MQA.

Until you can be absolutely 100% certain, then publicly urging iBasso to complicate their products further, with a proprietary approach like Meridian's, hardly seems fair to iBasso.

Amen.

Steve from NYC

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,087 of 22,021
LOL - and Currawong posted this, just a few seconds ago, in a different thread:

what i was reading about mqa (and someone clarify if i'm wrong) just because it's MQA doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a better sounding production than
is one done later one (remastered) down the line, esp if the original master was so-so anyway..can't put lipstick on a pig so to speak.....i'll try to find the article.
if i'm wrong don't blast me...be polite, thanks.

On the contrary. I've read Various articles saying that MQA is basically as good as DSD in a much much smaller file size due to compression so it can be streamed. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/06/an-inconvenient-truth-mqa-sounds-better/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YITtscFKiGC/learn/high-resolution-audio-guide.html

MQA is EQ'ed, more or less. That is why in demos it sounds different. But that is because....

What's the benefit of MQA? Most of us(99%) cannot even hear the difference between 320 kbps vs CD in an abx type test.

...the idea is that the behaviour of the original ADC that was used during recording or encoding (if from tape) can be included in the MQA file and the DAC can compensate for it during playback, which is supposedly what was being heard in the demos.

Of course, this could be done without MQA entirely, and it is very arguably only worth considering for at least moderately high-end gear and listening to well-recorded music where all the details and acoustic considerations matter.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,088 of 22,021
From my understanding most times it's unintentional. Maybe due to changes in the cpu processing? I don't think companies really have an explanation for it, at least nothing that I've read.

That is correct. It is unintentional. We have spoken to manufactures of chips and no one has a solid answer. The FW affects the CPU and from that the sound can change a little. We design the digital section and amp section to sound the best it can in our opinion. We do not try to alter the sound with FW but as seen with most any daps the sound does change a little or a lot with updates. Sometimes it is better and sometimes it is not. When it is not good sounding we reload the same FW again and the sound changes. So we work to get a neutral sounding FW and this may take a few tries. I wish to stress that we do not try to mold the sound but we want the FW to be neutral to allow our dac and amp section to work as intended.

We supply a burn in cable with the DX200 and feel the burn in is beneficial. The sound will smooth out as time passes and the bass tightens more compared to a new DX200. Other refinements to the sound also occur. The burn in time is around 100 hours and continues to refine to around 200 hours.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 6, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #2,090 of 22,021
That is correct. It is unintentional. We have spoken to manufactures of chips and no one has a solid answer. The FW affects the CPU and from that the sound can change a little. We design the digital section and amp section to sound the best it can in our opinion. We do not try to alter the sound with FW but as seen with most any daps the sound does change a little or a lot with updates. Sometimes it is better and sometimes it is not. When it is not good sounding we reload the same FW again and the sound changes. So we work to get a neutral sounding FW and this may take a few tries. I wish to stress that we do not try to mold the sound but we want the FW to be neutral to allow our dac and amp section to work as intended.

And that's why I've come to prefer daps with bare bones firmware, no OS, just music player with some normal function. The sound is more transparent and engaging.

The more features and more complex the firmware is the less transparent the sound becomes, vocals are worst affected imo.

The best firmwares are simple and custom written code, the firmware size measured in Kb's not Mb's, and not based on an underlying code base like most daps are. Props to Qls, Aune, Soundaware and others with the mind set of tackling sound quality from both software and hardware perspectives.

It's nice that ibasso is open about the firmware issue. I hope ibasso make a DX200 level dap with bare bones firmware, or even no screen, no OS, just pure sound and engineering, with minimal software to muck it up. But thats just me, the majority of the market just wants MOAR features.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #2,091 of 22,021
And that's why I've come to prefer daps with bare bones firmware, no OS, just music player with some normal function. The sound is more transparent and engaging.

The more features and more complex the firmware is the less transparent the sound becomes, vocals are worst affected imo.

The best firmwares are simple and custom written code, the firmware size measured in Kb's not Mb's, and not based on an underlying code base like mostbdaps are. Props to Qls, Aune, Soundaware and others with the mind set of tackling sound quality from both software and hardware perspectives.

It's nice that ibasso is open about the firmware issue. I hope ibasso make a DX200 level dap with bare bones firmware, or wait for it *no screen, no OS, just pure sound and engineering, with minimal software to muck it up. But thats just me, the majority of the market just wants MOAR features.

Then mojo+ poly is what you need totally.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #2,092 of 22,021

Then mojo+ poly is what you need totally.

You will still need a smartphone/Bluetooth audio player to control the MojoPoly though. I personally don't really get the benefit of adding the Poly to the Mojo instead of a spare smartphone dedicated just for being a digital transport source.

Just my $0.02.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,093 of 22,021
You will still need a smartphone/Bluetooth audio player to control the MojoPoly though. I personally don't really get the benefit of adding the Poly to the Mojo instead of a spare smartphone dedicated just for being a digital transport source.

Just my $0.02.
$0.01

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #2,094 of 22,021
DX200 + Music App + EQ + Mojo = BUY

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #2,095 of 22,021

Just my $0.02.

You're right. I forget this point

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #2,096 of 22,021
I'm a firm believer that the digital audio source is very important, I hear big differences between my sources when hooked up to my NAD M51 dac, so I dislike portable dac/amp products, and prefer not to use my phone as a source.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #2,098 of 22,021

The best firmwares are simple and custom written code, the firmware size measured in Kb's not Mb's, and not based on an underlying code base like most daps are. Props to Qls, Aune, Soundaware and others with the mind set of tackling sound quality from both software and hardware perspectives.

It's nice that ibasso is open about the firmware issue. I hope ibasso make a DX200 level dap with bare bones firmware, or even no screen, no OS, just pure sound and engineering, with minimal software to muck it up. But thats just me, the majority of the market just wants MOAR features.

This is why you would want Sony new Dap, the WM1A/Z series :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back