DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,071 of 22,021
Urgh i just don't hope for half baked firmware rolling really.....firmware rolling is fine, but if changes the sq, I don't call that a finished product. You can optimize and add features, but I really don't like having UI fixes only to be like....god it sounds like a fart. I guess bad UI again with better sound Lol.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,072 of 22,021
just for my own knowledge why would firmware updates change sound signatures, and are those changes intentional by companies

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,074 of 22,021
Firmware, especially Android OS, it has the ability to customize DSP in the language and coding within the OS itself. The player algorithm and the way it interpret has influences onto the sound quality itself. Different Android 3rd party playback apps will have different sound performances.

In this case, heavily customized like AK, Opus, Ibasso, reduce the ability of 3rd party players and apps to be installed and leave the manipulation fully customized by the manufacturers itself. Hence the reason different firmware may have different sound performances. An example of DSP alterations is the EQ, without using EQ, the manufacturers can just directly code it into the Native player base codes.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,075 of 22,021
Firmware, especially Android OS, it has the ability to customize DSP in the language and coding within the OS itself. The player algorithm and the way it interpret has influences onto the sound quality itself. Different Android 3rd party playback apps will have different sound performances.

In this case, heavily customized like AK, Opus, Ibasso, reduce the ability of 3rd party players and apps to be installed and leave the manipulation fully customized by the manufacturers itself. Hence the reason different firmware may have different sound performances. An example of DSP alterations is the EQ, without using EQ, the manufacturers can just directly code it into the Native player base codes.

so this means then the changes are intentional when an update to the firmware is made

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,076 of 22,021
so this means then the changes are intentional when an update to the firmware is made

That can only be confirmed by the manufacturers itself. I was just stating the theories. Sometimes people can believe that they are hearing things, the brain is the most powerful organ and together with the mind, it can get you to believe the craziest things :wink:

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,078 of 22,021
Every single company will always say there is no change in sound caused by firmware update. I once was in the AK meeting with Alex An. He always said the same thing. Wonder if someone can AB test to make them believe...

But for ibasso I can confirm the change of sound is noticable especially russian firmware.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,079 of 22,021
Dx200 has to get onboard with MQA.....i had my doubts, but even without mqa compatible gear.....i can hear the diff between the tracks on regular hifi and masters....maybe masters version just has better mastering? I know it is 24 bit vs 16 on regular hifi. I dunno, but it does sound different....esp spacially more detailed. Too bad....We'll have to see if this is a bad move by sony to stop streaming. AK will be probably the first device to be able to take advantage.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,080 of 22,021
  Dx200 has to get onboard with MQA.....i had my doubts, but even without mqa compatible gear.....i can hear the diff between the tracks on regular hifi and masters....maybe masters version just has better mastering? I know it is 24 bit vs 16 on regular hifi. I dunno, but it does sound different....esp spacially more detailed. Too bad....We'll have to see if this is a bad move by sony to stop streaming. AK will be probably the first device to be able to take advantage.

is mqa software implemented or hardware

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,081 of 22,021
Its implemented via hardware. Its like having a dac chip that can read DSD? I dunno......i just started reading up on it, but....it puts 24/96 files in a file that makes it smaller to sizes of just regular flacs.....I heard even without mqa appropriate dac.....and it sounds better the regular pcm. its bonkers ><

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,082 of 22,021
Can DX200 do MQA music format?
Available on Tidal soon:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/05/tidal-master-audio/

MQA is a fancy name for Flac files. That's what you get in this 'new' format, nothing new at all.

Edit: BTW people let Mimouille run in his DAP and get accustomed to it before you barrage him with questions he possibly could not answer.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,083 of 22,021

Quote:
  Its implemented via hardware. Its like having a dac chip that can read DSD? I dunno......i just started reading up on it, but....it puts 24/96 files in a file that makes it smaller to sizes of just regular flacs.....I heard even without mqa appropriate dac.....and it sounds better the regular pcm. its bonkers ><

I don't dispute that you may have heard differences between non-MQA and MQA versions of the same tracks/albums - I believe you may be telling the truth about that.

But, since you cannot conclusively eliminate the possibility of the mastering being different, I don't see why you are urging iBasso to implement MQA.

As far as I'm aware, at this point in time, MQA hasn't yet been conclusively proven to improve sound quality.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,084 of 22,021
  I don't dispute that you may have heard differences between non-MQA and MQA versions of the same tracks/albums - I believe you may be telling the truth about that.

But, since you cannot conclusively eliminate the possibility of the mastering being different, I don't see why you are urging iBasso to implement MQA.

As far as I'm aware, at this point in time, MQA hasn't yet been conclusively proven to improve sound quality.

I read up on all the stuff today because I didn't care for much about it....really. But you know I log into tidal and I thought well lets see what the fuss is about. I don't listen to beyonce but I was like why shouldn't I try....the difference is apparent from the first few seconds. I can't really say anything. Yeah I don't believe in usb cables and snake oil 1000 dollar iem cables. I didnt' want to believe in it, but it does sound better. iBasso Dx200 has been built for streaming in mind...hence the wifi, android etc. Though tidal mqa isn't available on mobile, I'm sure it soon will be. If a device such as Onkyo DPX1 can implement it, I don't see why they wouldn't implement it in their system if possible. more coding yes, but if your player was built for streaming, why not? 

I suggest anyone with a TIDAL account to try it. Yeah I understand the whole concept and it still doesn't mke sense to me, but it sounds better......i'm baffled.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #2,085 of 22,021

I read up on all the stuff today because I didn't care for much about it....really. But you know I log into tidal and I thought well lets see what the fuss is about. I don't listen to beyonce but I was like why shouldn't I try....the difference is apparent from the first few seconds. I can't really say anything. Yeah I don't believe in usb cables and snake oil 1000 dollar iem cables. I didnt' want to believe in it, but it does sound better. iBasso Dx200 has been built for streaming in mind...hence the wifi, android etc. Though tidal mqa isn't available on mobile, I'm sure it soon will be. If a device such as Onkyo DPX1 can implement it, I don't see why they wouldn't implement it in their system if possible. more coding yes, but if your player was built for streaming, why not? 

I suggest anyone with a TIDAL account to try it. Yeah I understand the whole concept and it still doesn't mke sense to me, but it sounds better......i'm baffled.

Yes, but the difference you're hearing might be just a difference in the EQ levels used on the mixing desk during another mastering of the album.

I'm not anti-MQA, I'm just saying it appears you are attributing the difference to MQA because you've heard a few MQA files and read some exciting MQA articles, when, it may be because of differences in mastering rather than having anything at all to do with MQA.

Until you can be absolutely 100% certain, then publicly urging iBasso to complicate their products further, with a proprietary approach like Meridian's, hardly seems fair to iBasso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back