DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 23, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #18,992 of 22,021
@Whitigir, how much do you gain from going line out of amp8 into your desktop amp? I’ve compared DX208 to my full desktop rig and I’ve gone digital out to my desktop DAC to desktop amp. However, I’ve never tried DX208 straight into my Moon 430. Is it worth the trouble of making the cable and extra setup over straight out of amp8?

Depends on how your system is. I used 208ti into my Stax and Dynalo for Hd800s and SR1. I would always connect DX208Ti 4.4mm out into an amp whenever I have the chance, unless portability is desired. But that is because I use headphones

The SR-1 headphones also has a much better scalability when connected to a desktop amp too, so I always use it this way when I want the best performances possible

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #18,993 of 22,021
Guys, i write this post to remind you: take care when updating firmwares. I did a lot of firmware updates (custom or official) in the past... on different android phones and on the dx200. In the beginning i was nervous and i double checked everything. Today i am tired and i wanted to go back on oreo beta v1 with the lurker addon... i don't know what went wrong, but the sd card did not boot, and when i ejected the card and started the dx200 again, V2 came but the screen control was not working! then i switcht off the device and made a factory/data reset. Turned on again, the screen control still was not working.... so i flashed the newest version again with the official flash tool et voila, everythings works fine now... what a relieve!

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #18,996 of 22,021
Hi.

I've got a DX200/AM1 and am using FiiO FH5 IEM's. What advantage would there be moving to the IT04?

Darren

They have totally different sounds, FH5 is kina midrange and bass forward, with a smoother treble, though it has some peak in the upper midrange, while IT-04 is a really neutral bass, treble-happy IEM, and while FH5 is pretty intimate, IT04 is quite huge in its sound

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #18,997 of 22,021
Today I got my DX200. Wow, I'm very impressed. I can finally say that I am 100% satisfied with the audio quality. Don't need anything better. I listened to it using Sennheiser HD800s with balanced cables using the default amp. I don't need to change the amp. The balanced 2.5 output is plenty enough. It already feels max power, I don't know how much better amp modules like amp8 can do.

Mind you I had this HD800s for at least a year and I never thought I explored its full potential, even with Chord Mojo and PC.

Anyway, how much battery is this supposed to consume? I started at around 82%, listened to 4-5 tracks and the battery was at 77%. Felt a little too fast.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #18,998 of 22,021
i don't know what went wrong, but the sd card did not boot
Most probably, you have removed SD card too soon after writing firmware image into it. Then it booted, but with damaged file. It is always good to use safe remove/unmount/eject OS function after writing to SD card.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #18,999 of 22,021
Today I got my DX200. Wow, I'm very impressed. I can finally say that I am 100% satisfied with the audio quality. Don't need anything better. I listened to it using Sennheiser HD800s with balanced cables using the default amp. I don't need to change the amp. The balanced 2.5 output is plenty enough. It already feels max power, I don't know how much better amp modules like amp8 can do.

Mind you I had this HD800s for at least a year and I never thought I explored its full potential, even with Chord Mojo and PC.

Anyway, how much battery is this supposed to consume? I started at around 82%, listened to 4-5 tracks and the battery was at 77%. Felt a little too fast.

Should last about 7 hours or so. Amp8 will be much better, and I use Hd800S too! I love it so very much

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #19,000 of 22,021
Amp8 will be much better, and I use Hd800S too! I love it so very much
You use it with no extra amp, you connect it directly, right?

Please describe what is the difference you hear when using Amp8. Because as I said the power feels already at max. I might not be able to tell the difference between the default amp and amp8. It might be overkill for me.

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #19,001 of 22,021
MacOS Mojave - via Etcher
This is a little safer than using the CLI dd method as with dd, if you get the wrong device, well you could just wipeout your MacOS boot disk :D

Pre-requisites
a. Download & install Etcher
b. Download & unzip DX200FirmwareUpdater.zip
c. Download & unzip iBasso’s Oreo

Install Steps
  1. Run the balenaEtcher app
  2. Select Image DX200FirmwareUpdater.img
  3. Select Drive (Pick your microSD card) & Continue
  4. Select Flash!
  5. Enter your MacOS privileged password
  6. Exit balenaEtcher app
  7. Physically eject microSD and reinsert
  8. MicroSD should mount as DX200UPDATE
  9. Doubleclick into DX200UPDATE
  10. Open another Finder window
  11. Navigate to the unzipped iBasso Oreo (c) above
  12. Go to DX200-Android8.1-Beta-V2/DX200-Android8.1-Beta-V2
  13. Copy update.img to the DX200UPDATE finder window
  14. Right-click the sdupdate.img (Zero bytes) and Move to Bin
  15. Right-click update.img and Rename to sdupdate.img
  16. Eject the DX200UPDATE MicroSD from Finder
  17. Switch off the DX200
  18. Put the DX200UPDATE MicroSD into the DX200
  19. Power on the DX200
  20. The DX200 should be “Installing system update”
  21. It takes just over 3 mins. The first 50% fo the bar is fast, but the remaining 50% of the bar is slower. It’s not hanging
  22. When it finishes, it’ll say :-
    Supported API: 3
    Doing Actions succeeded.please remove the sdcard……
  23. Remove the MicroSD and it’ll auto boot
  24. You now have iBasso's Oreo
For Lurker0's USB Audio/HiByMusic Plug-in
  1. Download and unzip Lurker's DX200-A8.1-L1.12-sdupdate.zip
  2. Go in there and copy his sdupdate.img (140,052,952 bytes) into the DX200UPDATE
  3. It's ok to overwrite the iBasso's Oreo sdupdate.img (or rename the iBasso's Oreo to whatever, up to you)
  4. Eject and follow the same procedures above steps 17-20
  5. This time however, the update is very quick < 1 min
  6. Eject the MicroSD and let your DX200 reboot
  7. Upon coming up Android would say it's updating
  8. When finish you should have Lurker0's USB Audio, Magisk Manager, & HibyMusic (Lurker)

Just to clarify step 14 "Move to Bin" means move it to trash?

Also does one need to be on stock firmware (e.g. not on Lurker's 6.1) for this update to 8.1 to work?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #19,002 of 22,021
Just to clarify step 14 "Move to Bin" means move it to trash?

Also does one need to be on stock firmware (e.g. not on Lurker's 6.1) for this update to 8.1 to work?

Thanks.
Move to Bin, yes it’s move to trash. It seems since Mojave, Apple has renamed “trash”.

As for stock firmware, I don’t believe so. I was already on Lurker’s latest and the procedure worked on it too. But Lurker to confirm.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #19,003 of 22,021
Move to Bin, yes it’s move to trash. It seems since Mojave, Apple has renamed “trash”.

As for stock firmware, I don’t believe so. I was already on Lurker’s latest and the procedure worked on it too. But Lurker to confirm.

I took your example and upgraded just fine. Thanks very much for the step-by-step. You may want to add "Unplug the DX200" to step 17 otherwise it won't update.

The best gift to me with 8.1 is the system-wide mono option in the accessibility section. Love it.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #19,004 of 22,021
I took your example and upgraded just fine. Thanks very much for the step-by-step. You may want to add "Unplug the DX200" to step 17 otherwise it won't update.

The best gift to me with 8.1 is the system-wide mono option in the accessibility section. Love it.
Sorry, not too sure what U mean by unplug the DX200. As long as U have sufficient battery charge, your DX200 doesn’t need to be plugged in at all?

Or maybe I misunderstood U by what U mean by plugged in?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #19,005 of 22,021
It should work even without any firmware (empty flash memory).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back