DUNU releases EST 112, a triple hybrid in-ear with dual electrostatic tweeters
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 296
Dongguan, Shenzhen, Taipei, and California
5_Hero_Image.jpg

DUNU evolves its venerated hybrid product line by adding a third form of transducer.

DUNU’s first hybrid earphone, DN-1000, released in 2013, smashed expectations for how much a hybrid earphone should cost. Eight years and nine hybrid models later, DUNU once again lowers the price threshold for a triple hybrid in-ear with an electrostatic driver.

As DUNU’s latest hybrid creation, EST 112 sets a new standard for an ideal mixture of promise, performance, practicality, and price.

1_Ear_Render.jpg

The all-new form factor of the EST 112.

With the EST 112, DUNU introduces an all-new shell package with finely considered wear ergonomics.

Machined from lightweight aluminum alloy via a 5-axis CNC lathe and finished with a scratch-resistant gunmetal anodize, the durable shells encapsulate doubly reengineered driver circuitry. Stately, polished stainless steel faceplates cap off the package in a simple, yet timeless design.

DSC04732_CNC.jpg

Each structural component of the EST 112 has been precision machined from unitary blocks of aluminum alloy via 5-axis CNC mills.

EST 112’s 13.5 mm dynamic woofer works on a third-generation refinement of DUNU’s proprietary dual-sided beryllium coating. A revised diaphragm topology allows for a 9% greater effective sound reproduction area.

Combined with refinements to beryllium deposition, diaphragmatic mass is now 13% lighter than that of the previous generation.* The layered beryllium is now even thicker, with a finer, more regular grain pattern than ever before.

*Relative to the second-generation dynamic driver found in the DK-3001 PRO

Introduction - EST 112 - REV 2021-03-17.007.png

Additionally, a revised motor structure, inspired by our ultra-powerful ECLIPSƎ magnets, carries a 20% improvement in magnetic flux density at the coils. This augmented driver design, married with DUNU’s proprietary Air Control Impedance System (ACIS), allows bass and lower midrange frequencies to maintain their palpable speed, texture, and separation, along with improved distortion characteristics.

Diagram_ACIS.jpg

The second generation ACIS module in the EST 112 bolsters sub-bass response under 100 Hz.

Anchoring the all-important upper midrange and treble is a single Knowles mid-high balanced armature driver that has been the decades-long standard bearer for precision sound. Dual Sonion electrostatic drivers, inimitable in speed and transient response, actuate the smooth, elegant, and detailed highs every music lover craves.

Introduction - EST 112 - REV 2021-03-17.006.png

Development work was largely spent on fine-tuning crossover points to optimize driver corner frequencies, resulting in a cohesive, neutrally voiced sound signature.

Plots_4157_vs_CRY711_Annotated.png

Usage-wise, EST 112 continues DUNU’s tradition of bundling a premium quality cable with the convenient Quick-Switch modular plug system (CN Patent ZL201821202295.0) as well as a generous fit kit of different ear tips.

EST 112’s designated cable is the DUW-02S, a Litz-braided version of the silver-plated (monocrystalline) copper DUW-02. Aside from the standard 3.5 mm TRS single-ended plug, a 2.5 mm TRRS balanced plug and 4.4 mm TRRRS balanced plug are also included.

DSC04768_Modular_DUW-02S.jpg

At an MSRP of $489.99 US dollars, EST 112 breaks a price barrier for triple hybrid in-ears. EST 112 ships from authorized DUNU dealers worldwide, as well as directly from DUNU’s official website, on March 31st, with pre-orders available immediately.

For more information, please visit: https://www.dunu-topsound.com/est-112

Product Specifications

BRAND: DUNU
MODEL: EST 112
NET WEIGHT: 15 g
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5 Hz – 40 kHz (HI-RES Audio Certified)
  • IMPEDANCE: 10 Ω at 1 kHz
  • SENSITIVITY: 110 ± 1 dB at 1 kHz
  • TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: < 0.3% at 1 kHz
DRIVE MODULE(S)
  • Dynamic Driver(s): 3rd Generation 13.5 mm Driver with Dual-Sided Beryllium Coating (×1)
  • Balanced Armature Driver(s): Custom Knowles BA Mid-High Tweeter (×1)
  • Electret Electrostatic Driver(s): Sonion Dual EST Supertweeter (×2)
INCLUDED CABLE
  • LENGTH: 1.2 ± 0.1 m
  • MATERIAL: 4-Core, High-Purity Monocrystalline Silver-Plated Cable (DUW-02S)
  • CABLE CONNECTOR: Patented Catch-Hold MMCX Connector
  • PLUG CONNECTOR: Patented DUNU Quick-Switch Modular Plug System
  • INCLUDED PLUG TERMINATION(S):
  • 4.4 mm TRRRS Balanced
  • 3.5 mm TRS Single-Ended
  • 2.5 mm TRRS Balanced
OTHER INCLUDED ACCESSORIES
  • Grey Balanced Tips (×3, S/M/L)
  • White Core Tips (×3, S/M/L)
  • SpinFit Tips (×3, S/M/L)
  • Foam Tips (×1)
  • Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
  • Cleaning Brush
  • DUNU DC-16 3.5-to-6.3 mm Adapter
  • Airplane Adapter
  • Carry Case (Navy)

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 296
First? JK, this isn't YouTube!

Congrats on the launch y'all - can't wait to try it soon with @corgifall!

Y'all seriously outdo yourselves every time with the accessories!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 296
Mar 26, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 296
Such beauties!

Hoping to hear these sometime soon

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 296
Good to read a review to coincide with the launch and interesting to hear @antdroid preference for the SA6 over the ZEN, it is the same for me - my listening is probably 70/30 to SA6. I love the excitement and wow factor of the ZEN but in small doses as I find it becomes fatiguing - the SA6 is more relaxed and I enjoy longer sessions as a result. This initial assessment rules me out of a purchase of the EST for now anyway! It does look fantastic and I love the look of the lighter cable.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 296
Just a brief explanation of why the preorder period is so brief ---- we are being swamped with pre-orders in China, over 800 at this point, and they're supposed to all go out starting on 3/29. Thus, there isn't much remaining in our silos... so go easy on us, please!

Preorder_JD.png

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 296
Just a brief explanation of why the preorder period is so brief ---- we are being swamped with pre-orders in China, over 800 at this point, and they're supposed to all go out starting on 3/29. Thus, there isn't much remaining in our silos... so go easy on us, please!

Preorder_JD.png
You guys deserve the attention and interest! Kudos to the team!

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 296
Good to read a review to coincide with the launch and interesting to hear @antdroid preference for the SA6 over the ZEN, it is the same for me - my listening is probably 70/30 to SA6. I love the excitement and wow factor of the ZEN but in small doses as I find it becomes fatiguing - the SA6 is more relaxed and I enjoy longer sessions as a result. This initial assessment rules me out of a purchase of the EST for now anyway! It does look fantastic and I love the look of the lighter cable.

I honestly enjoy all three of these IEMs as well as the DK3001 Pro that I reviewed a while back that's also in this price range. I thought this $400-800 range was no man's land for a long time, but Dunu has filled in this void really nicely with 4 products now. I didn't compare the DK3001 Pro since I lent it up to the Headphones.com guys last year and I haven't gotten it back yet.

I think each of these has their own unique characteristics that make the stand out over the others which I tried to summarize at the end of the review. The EST 112's price is quite good since it has the ESTs and is much less than the next tier of EST IEMs from Thieaudio, so this is a great entry into hearing that EST sound, which, some may find similar to BA, but I do find has its own traits.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 296
I have a question: does the EST driver needs ample amount of power to sound Right? Or can it be driven from low power sources as well? I know that an amp with good power will always enhance the sound, I'm just interested to know whether the EST will sound off or not right when powered from a low power source, or not. My concern being the Shozy x AAW Pola, which, to when powered through low power sources, made the highs horribly piercing.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 296
This is probably a "it depends" question, but the EST 112 didn't need any more volume than any of the the other IEMs I use regularly or have reviewed in the past. I use a Lotoo PAW 6000 on low gain, and use about 50% of its available volume. It's 300mW at 32 ohm, if that helps.

I have used this also on Schiit Jotunheim 2 and briefly on my Audiolab Integrated Amp but didn't hear significant differences outside of the amp's sound differences relative to each other.

Mar 27, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 296
I have received the EST112 from Dunu last Friday, and it’s on my hand for a week now. I would like to shout out to Kevin and Tom for sending it over and given me a lot of information regarding to how they mange the tuning, design...

Firstly, the unboxing experience and the build quality are in top tier levels! The cable and IEMs are both well build and looks stunning, there are also bunch of accessories and ear tips.

Moving on to the sound, the tonality is well balanced with mildly U shape/ neutral with sub bass boost profile. (Some may find the upper midrange and treble are more emphasis than rest of ranges, but for me the EST112 hits the sweet spot.)
The bass is on the light side present in the clean manner, with fast and well controlled transition, there are good levels of depth as well.
The midrange is clear and smooth, there are fair amount of bodies and lushness on lower midrange.The upper midrange are slightly forwarded than the lower midrange, it is presented in highly transparent yet lively manner.
The treble range on the EST112 is the most strong part of it. The treble sound vividly yet silky, and presented in the smooth manner. There are good amount of the crisp and brightness produce by the BA driver, while the EST driver provided the glossy and extremely transparent treble that BA driver can not be handled

The soundstage are really really wide and feel spacious, while the depth is also above the average. The imaging are 3D holographic!

The EST112 are definitely the deal breaker for tribird IEMs, and the performance is way above its price!! Will post more photos here, and the review is coming soon!

0789EDD5-6D22-4C7B-AB9E-4DC2E9B45D6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 296

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 296

They look great, but I fear these will sound a bit too bright for my taste. I have EQed the ZEN slightly and they really became totl for me now. I wish Dunu comes with a somewhat « dark-warmism » set a some point.

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 296
They look great, but I fear these will sound a bit too bright for my taste. I have EQed the ZEN slightly and they really became totl for me now. I wish Dunu comes with a somewhat « dark-warmism » set a some point.

Does your H1 pairing with the ZEN give best results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back