DUNU Q-Lock PLUS Quick-Switch Modular Plug Cables - Discussion Thread
Jun 16, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #242 of 404
@DUNU-Topsound any plans on a graphene cable? Been reading a lot about the material. It would be awesome to add it to your list.

We don't have any concrete plans for implementing graphene at the moment, though it's not something we're discounting.

While the potential applications of graphene are, frankly, wonderous to think about, the technology is relatively immature. Pure graphene that can be ductilized into, say, space elevator cables, is still quite a ways off from reality. Most usage cases of graphene by industry or in commercial use are confined to the inclusion of tiny, fragmented pieces of graphene powder, whether in the form of graphene oxide, or reduced graphene (rGO).

The inclusion of graphene into wiring is actually a little more simplistic, as carbon can be deposited onto the surface of a copper substrate via CVD in a manner not much more complicated than the methods we're currently using to plate materials such as diamond-like carbon onto a metal substrate, such as what we do with the magnesium-aluminum diaphragm in ZEN. Doing this at scale, for a huge spool of wiring, though, is very complicated, as the graphene layer must be controlled precisely. At this time, we can't seem to identify any commercialized process than can do this at a reasonable cost.

So while we love novel technologies as much as anyone in this community, for there to be a dramatic improvement in electrical conductivity in graphene, the graphene would need to be formed into a continuous film for the entire length of the wire, and doing so seems to be both limited by technical viability and financial practicality. Utilizing small, fragmented pieces of graphene in wire seems to benefit electrical conductivity minimally.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #243 of 404
We don't have any concrete plans for implementing graphene at the moment, though it's not something we're discounting.

While the potential applications of graphene are, frankly, wonderous to think about, the technology is relatively immature. Pure graphene that can be ductilized into, say, space elevator cables, is still quite a ways off from reality. Most usage cases of graphene by industry or in commercial use are confined to the inclusion of tiny, fragmented pieces of graphene powder, whether in the form of graphene oxide, or reduced graphene (rGO).

The inclusion of graphene into wiring is actually a little more simplistic, as carbon can be deposited onto the surface of a copper substrate via CVD in a manner not much more complicated than the methods we're currently using to plate materials such as diamond-like carbon onto a metal substrate, such as what we do with the magnesium-aluminum diaphragm in ZEN. Doing this at scale, for a huge spool of wiring, though, is very complicated, as the graphene layer must be controlled precisely. At this time, we can't seem to identify any commercialized process than can do this at a reasonable cost.

So while we love novel technologies as much as anyone in this community, for there to be a dramatic improvement in electrical conductivity in graphene, the graphene would need to be formed into a continuous film for the entire length of the wire, and doing so seems to be both limited by technical viability and financial practicality. Utilizing small, fragmented pieces of graphene in wire seems to benefit electrical conductivity minimally.
I know of one Canadian cable company using it as follows:

DIELECTRIC/SHIELD 4: GRAPHENE 1 EXTRUSION

DIELECTRIC 5: GRAPHENE 2 ABSORPTION LAYER

I personally have not tried it as they priced this cable almost 6 times the cable right below the one with grephene.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #245 of 404
Just curious if any DUNU cable (MMCX) owners have tried theirs with the Sennheiser IE 900? Do the DUNU MMCX connectors fit in the IE 900?
The DUNU Blanche cable definitely doesn't fit.
The diameter of the base of the MMCX DUNU connector is 6.15 mm, while the recess diameter of the MMCX connector on the IE 900 is 4.8 mm.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #246 of 404
The Blanche arrived yesterday, nothing to say about the cable, indeed excellent as quality. But it must be said that, as others have noted, the interchangeable jack is totally to be redone. Far from the quality of the system that Fiio has created for their Lc-re (which costs half the price), it is a shame to ruin an excellent cable like the Blanche with a system like this and it seems strange to me that a serious and quoted house like the Dunu don't realize how bad it is for your image to bring out a connector with these problems on a cable of this quality and at this price. They should try the cables before they sell them and at most use a normal connector and take $ 50 off the price. Pity about the missed opportunity.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #247 of 404
But it must be said that, as others have noted, the interchangeable jack is totally to be redone. Far from the quality of the system that Fiio has created for their Lc-re (which costs half the price),
What are the problems or issues you're experiencing with the DUNU quick-switch plugs? What are other people's issues?

I certainly haven't read any but likely I've just missed them. For me, I haven't experienced any issues myself, then again I haven't been switching out the plugs that often and also don't have experience with any of the other competing products (FiiO, DITA Audio, OEAudio, QYFANG, Moondrop, and others). Not that I'm saying there isn't, but would be good to point them out for DUNU to improve on.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #248 of 404
The Blanche arrived yesterday, nothing to say about the cable, indeed excellent as quality. But it must be said that, as others have noted, the interchangeable jack is totally to be redone. Far from the quality of the system that Fiio has created for their Lc-re (which costs half the price), it is a shame to ruin an excellent cable like the Blanche with a system like this and it seems strange to me that a serious and quoted house like the Dunu don't realize how bad it is for your image to bring out a connector with these problems on a cable of this quality and at this price. They should try the cables before they sell them and at most use a normal connector and take $ 50 off the price. Pity about the missed opportunity.

What are the problems or issues you're experiencing with the DUNU quick-switch plugs? What are other people's issues?

I certainly haven't read any but likely I've just missed them. For me, I haven't experienced any issues myself, then again I haven't been switching out the plugs that often and also don't have experience with any of the other competing products (FiiO, DITA Audio, OEAudio, QYFANG, Moondrop, and others). Not that I'm saying there isn't, but would be good to point them out for DUNU to improve on.

There is a known issue with short circuiting leading to intermittent signal cut-outs that was only present in a small proportion of the very first production batch of the chrome plated modular connectors used on the BLANCHE and DUW-03. It was not detected initially because it was not an issue in the subtropical climate of Guangdong Province. However, once we received feedback from customers living in other, more arid regions of the world, we redesigned the connectors completely to eliminate the short circuiting, which was a byproduct of an air gap between the metal barrel and the dielectric layer. The revised connectors have been in production since January 2021. The champagne colored connectors, as well as the new brushed metal connectors on the HULK PRO, do not have this issue.

As for the suggestion of testing our cables before shipping them, we do this already. As mentioned, however, the short circuiting issue was not detectable in climates with higher humidity, and that's why the issue slipped through our factory in the first place. It was unfortunate for us not to have been able to detect the issue in advance, though since the redesign, we've received very few complaints of malfunctioning plugs.

@Polky74 if you are experiencing an issue related to intermittent signal cut outs, we highly recommend you open a support ticket with us: https://www.dunu-topsound.com/support --- we can get it sorted out for you. After sales service is something we've been working really hard on improving over the past two years. It's not perfect, but we're constantly working at improving on it. As for anyone else who may have encountered a similar problem, please feel free to contact us via the same support page.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #249 of 404
There is a known issue with short circuiting leading to intermittent signal cut-outs that was only present in a small proportion of the very first production batch of the chrome plated modular connectors used on the BLANCHE and DUW-03. It was not detected initially because it was not an issue in the subtropical climate of Guangdong Province. However, once we received feedback from customers living in other, more arid regions of the world, we redesigned the connectors completely to eliminate the short circuiting, which was a byproduct of an air gap between the metal barrel and the dielectric layer. The revised connectors have been in production since January 2021. The champagne colored connectors, as well as the new brushed metal connectors on the HULK PRO, do not have this issue.

As for the suggestion of testing our cables before shipping them, we do this already. As mentioned, however, the short circuiting issue was not detectable in climates with higher humidity, and that's why the issue slipped through our factory in the first place. It was unfortunate for us not to have been able to detect the issue in advance, though since the redesign, we've received very few complaints of malfunctioning plugs.

@Polky74 if you are experiencing an issue related to intermittent signal cut outs, we highly recommend you open a support ticket with us: https://www.dunu-topsound.com/support --- we can get it sorted out for you. After sales service is something we've been working really hard on improving over the past two years. It's not perfect, but we're constantly working at improving on it. As for anyone else who may have encountered a similar problem, please feel free to contact us via the same support page.
I contacted the support as suggested by you, but there are two problems ... the first is that neither on the box nor on the cable is the serial number present and the second is that Hifigo, the shop where I bought the cable is not present in the your list of authorized dealers. It seems strange to me given that Hifigo has almost all Dunu products in the list and another strange thing is that with the great sales it has, being much discussed and appreciated also here on HeadFi, it still has in stock the first batch of Blanche that reports these malfunctions connector. Finger crossing.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #250 of 404

And in fact I reported him for this, and Dunu (from a serious company as I think it is) promptly replied. Let's just hope it can be resolved now.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #251 of 404

Oooo. Reference to Hulk Pro. Where can I get more information on this? I was informed by my supplier that these will be released soon but I have yet to see any information on these! Any details you can give here is appreciated!!

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #252 of 404
I contacted the support as suggested by you, but there are two problems ... the first is that neither on the box nor on the cable is the serial number present and the second is that Hifigo, the shop where I bought the cable is not present in the your list of authorized dealers. It seems strange to me given that Hifigo has almost all Dunu products in the list and another strange thing is that with the great sales it has, being much discussed and appreciated also here on HeadFi, it still has in stock the first batch of Blanche that reports these malfunctions connector. Finger crossing.
do all the blanche still have issues ? I was thinking of getting one from hifigo as that's the easiest from my country.. but if there are still issues might hold on the purchase first.

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #253 of 404
This is Dunu's offer of assistance on their faulty cable ...

Hello Angelo,

Thanks for contacting us regarding below issue and sorry for the inconveniences caused, we can fix your Blanche, to inspect its detailed problem, please send back the cable to:
Address:16F.-4, No.736, Zhongzheng Rd., Zhonghe Dist.,New Taipei City 23511, Taiwan,
Company name: WANG WANG DAH ENTERPRISE CO., LTD.
TEL: +886-2-82269858

Please send back only the cable, no need package and accessories, we'll have it overall checked and fix it for you, the only cost is the basic shipping cost from China to Italy, US$10,

you can wire it to our Paypal: DUNU@dunu-topsound.com
Please inform me after you done the shipment and the payment, I'll send back the fixed Titan6 to you directly.

Thanks
Vivian

This is my answer ...

Let's see if I understand correctly ... I should send a package to Taiwan, (minimum 43 euros), hope it arrives, pay you the price of the shipping back after the repair (10 dollars) and hope it arrives, otherwise I would have lost 329 dollars + 43 euros + 10 dollars. Did I get it right? If I understand correctly, I throw the defective cable (losing only 329 dollars) that you yourself have declared to have this design and construction defect (on HeadFi) and I do not buy anything with the Dunu brand until your company no longer exists and I will discourage everyone from buy anything from you. It seems to me a fairer solution. Thanks for the great assistance. Yours sincerely from a former customer of yours.
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

In a nutshell, despite having also admitted here on HeadFi that the cable is defective, instead of sending me a new cable, having the defective one collected by the courier (which would cost them very little) they ask me to send the cable to them without any guarantee if it gets lost on my part and icing on the cake even 10 dollars to send it back "repaired".
We are talking about a $ 329 cable of which I have sent the screenshot of the invoice and photo of the cable itself.
Draw your own conclusions, I don't think it will end well now, but if there are any news, I will certainly keep you updated.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #254 of 404
@Polky74

We do offer direct replacements for units that are found to be problematic within 30 days of purchase. Vivian may have mistakenly believed your cable was purchased last year. The vast majority of tickets (96%) we receive are from individuals who purchased products over two years ago. About 3% of tickets are from individuals who purchased products between 1-2 years ago, and 1% is from individuals who purchased our items within a year of purchase. Of this 1%, <10% of them (<0.1% of the total number) are from individuals who purchased a product within a month ago. Our working areas are in separate time zones, and thus there's no real-time communication of special situations such as yours. Please do allow us a couple of days to understand fully what went wrong in communication, and then we'll get back to you as best as we can.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #255 of 404
Oooo. Reference to Hulk Pro. Where can I get more information on this? I was informed by my supplier that these will be released soon but I have yet to see any information on these! Any details you can give here is appreciated!!
We're in the process of taking orders from dealers. It's also available factory direct now: https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/hulk-pro

The short summary is that HULK PRO uses 22 AWG monocrystalline copper wire in a hand-braided, four conductor design, but with additional structural and metallurgic enhancements over its predecessor. Although it is not advertised as such, the new cable structure of the HULK PRO is combination of a Type 2 & 4 Litz configuration, with:
  • Aramid (Kevlar) Fiber Core
  • Furukawa Electric OCC Copper, further purified via secondary fire refinement (similar to the process employed with the wires in the LYRE cable), 6 discrete insulated bundles of which are arranged around the fiber core
  • Dielectric Insulating Layer
  • Aluminum Shielding Layer
The added shielding and enhanced Litz structure all serve to further improve crosstalk characteristics and minimize signal interference.

Diagram_HULK_PRO_Dealer_Watermarked.png

EDIT: Applied Watermark to Image

do all the blanche still have issues ? I was thinking of getting one from hifigo as that's the easiest from my country.. but if there are still issues might hold on the purchase first.
All cables produced since January 2021 have been redesigned to avoid any intermittent signal issue. The full explanation can be found in our previous post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back