DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,096 of 2,123
Sometimes more is better, sometimes not.  Depends on who you're asking.  Depends on the company producing the earphone.  Some people think they know everything and some people give an honest opinion.  All depends on who you're asking once again.  Being on head-fi for a decent period of time and you're figure it out.  

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #1,097 of 2,123
  More BA's, if well implemented and depending of the drivers quality, can guarantee more accuracy and precision, as well as superior instrument separation.

Or if not so well implemented can totally muck up the sound sig.

Either way - as I stated earlier - more drivers does not guarantee better sonics.

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,098 of 2,123
Short (admittedly OT) remark regarding treble extension, here's a little experiment which may help putting things in perspective: download Audacity (or any other sound editor that offers a high pass filter). Then load one of your favorite music files and apply a high pass filter with steep rolloff, e.g. 48db @ 12000Hz. This will wipe out all information below that frequency. Then pick a headphone / IEM with good treble extension and listen to the remaining information. Repeat the experiment with higher cut-off frequencies to get an idea of what you'll miss out on phones that don't reach 20kHz.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,100 of 2,123
Short (admittedly OT) remark regarding treble extension, here's a little experiment which may help putting things in perspective: download Audacity (or any other sound editor that offers a high pass filter). Then load one of your favorite music files and apply a high pass filter with steep rolloff, e.g. 48db @ 12000Hz. This will wipe out all information below that frequency. Then pick a headphone / IEM with good treble extension and listen to the remaining information. Repeat the experiment with higher cut-off frequencies to get an idea of what you'll miss out on phones that don't reach 20kHz.

Great recommendation! Of all the ones I've owned, auditioned, and reviewed only TWO IEMs have passed this test with flying colours.

Both are on my signature...

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,101 of 2,123

Great recommendation! Of all the ones I've owned, auditioned, and reviewed only TWO IEMs have passed this test with flying colours.

Both are on my signature...

Let me guess; InEar StageDiver 2 and  DUNU DN-2000J, no?

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,102 of 2,123
  Let me guess; InEar StageDiver 2 and  DUNU DN-2000J, no?

SD-2 and MH-1 
wink_face.gif

Runners-up:frowning2:not in order)
Noble PR pure mode
Dunu Titan 1
Dunu D2000j
Tralucent 1Plus2
UM Mentor
Sony XBA H3
Sony XBA 4 (not sure but it's pretty extended from what I recall of a brief 10mins audition)
Brainwavz R3

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,103 of 2,123
WOW I CAN'T WAIT TO B...Oh

No detachable cable.

No thanks.

Not spending $3XX on earphones when the cable is going to break every 3 months. I don't see why they can't just make the change.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,104 of 2,123
Sep 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,105 of 2,123

No detachable cable.

No thanks.

Not spending $3XX on earphones when the cable is going to break every 3 months. I don't see why they can't just make the change.

Had mine way longer than 3 months, and the DN1000 a lot longer than that.  Cables are still in great condition.  One of the most robust IEMs I've come across.  I'm afraid I can't quite get some people's insistence on replaceable cables.  In my experience (mmcx connectors) there is actually more chance of breakage or issues with the replaceable cables than without.

If you're judging the 2000J on lack of replaceable cable - you're missing out IMO. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,106 of 2,123

Had mine way longer than 3 months, and the DN1000 a lot longer than that.  Cables are still in great condition.  One of the most robust IEMs I've come across.  I'm afraid I can't quite get some people's insistence on replaceable cables.  In my experience (mmcx connectors) there is actually more chance of breakage or issues with the replaceable cables than without.

If you're judging the 2000J on lack of replaceable cable - you're missing out IMO. 

I agree with you on the whole removable cables thing. I really do think they're overrated and can of course lead to more problems. But, if someone likes the piece-of-mind from having removable cables, or just likes the customization option of switching out for different cables, that's understandable. 

On the 2000J - I've had mine for almost a week and loving it. The cable seems very sturdy and well constructed in my opinion and is one of my favorite iem cables so far. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,107 of 2,123

I agree with you on the whole removable cables thing. I really do think they're overrated and can of course lead to more problems. But, if someone likes the piece-of-mind from having removable cables, or just likes the customization option of switching out for different cables, that's understandable. 

On the 2000J - I've had mine for almost a week and loving it. The cable seems very sturdy and well constructed in my opinion and is one of my favorite iem cables so far. 

In terms of a build quality peace-of-mind, I absolutely agree as well.  But in a back of my mind I'm still curious how I can smooth out sound signature of DN2kJ with a pure copper cable or some other type of wire.  The only advantage of removable cable in this case, at least for me, is using it as another tool for soundshaping
wink.gif

But as I pointed out in the link above, DUNU already announced their huge line up of new DN and Titan models, mostly with removable mmcx connector cables!

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,108 of 2,123

No detachable cable.

No thanks.

Well, it is also about the way how someone treats his/her IEMs.

For doing (endurance) sports, I mostly use my UE600vi which still works, despite the bad cable quality. The TripleFi 10's cable is also not known for its durability, but mine's still stock, though I used it quite frequently some years ago.

The only two earphones where the cable stopped working were the Bose Triport IE (but that was more or less my own fault as I wore them underneath my jacket) and Sennheiser CX200 Street II (it worked perfectly, I put them in the locker, took them out a couple of years later, one side stopped working).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back