DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Sep 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,126 of 2,123
I personally don't like replaceable cables, I find them to be more trouble than fixed cables. I've had my DN1K for well over a year with no problems and I expect the same from the D2Kj. I look at it as simply a preference and I certainly wouldn't spend $350. if I preferred replaceable cables. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,127 of 2,123
So now this has turned into a cable discussion,unbelievable.

Are there any other head-fiers out there ,that are not totally thrilled ,by the DN-2Kj???

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,128 of 2,123
  So now this has turned into a cable discussion,unbelievable.

Are there any other head-fiers out there ,that are not totally thrilled ,by the DN-2Kj???

The piercing highs were a bit too much for me so I returned mine.  Is that what you're looking for?  :)

Back to the DN1Ks...they just seem to tick the most boxes for me at this point.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,129 of 2,123
I don't have an issue with the highs...
I've been at it,trying to find a reason ,why I seem to prefer the Titan's over these,and cant find one.,I even put them up for sale,but,my timing is bad,with all the new models coming out..

I'm approaching 100 hours on my break-in,maybe that has something to do with it?,bass seems to be a little stronger,separation is stronger.

Question :..are any of you guys using the bass filters,???..do they really make a difference.?
Are they put on,all together?,or,one at a time, till the SQ gives you want you ..think???,you want-LOL
Any links will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,130 of 2,123
I love my 2kj's. I own quite a few high end earphones without the detachable cable. When they are not is use they are in their protective cases. I haven't had trouble with any. If handled properly, I don't think most folks would have any issues. Also diy recabling is not rocket science. They have great forums here for that as well, cheers

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,131 of 2,123
I agree,
I see kids on the subway ,here in NYC,and in Starbucks,all of them have high end earphones
You would not believe ,how they treat them,no wonder cables get broken

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,132 of 2,123
IMHO the D2Kj, is the best sounding universal there is, save the AKG K3003 and the FitEar To Go! 334. Of course everything is subjective but for me jazz has never sounded so good. I'm well aware that many of us are more sensitive to highs or just don't care for the extended treble these offer. I'm pretty sure when Dunu tuned the 2Kj they knew this sound wouldn't be for everyone, I'm just happy that they chose to go ahead and release it in this configuration. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,133 of 2,123
  IMHO the D2Kj, is the best sounding universal there is, save the AKG K3003 and the FitEar To Go! 334. Of course everything is subjective but for me jazz has never sounded so good. I'm well aware that many of us are more sensitive to highs or just don't care for the extended treble these offer. I'm pretty sure when Dunu tuned the 2Kj they knew this sound wouldn't be for everyone, I'm just happy that they chose to go ahead and release it in this configuration. 

Good reply-KC,
I don't think my ears are that sensitive..
Even when I had the HD800's,everyone was complaining  about the highs...except me,I found them..normal,..accurate,,same with these earphones
Now,that I have logged about 100 hours on them,and changed my tips to the comply-500,thinks seem to be falling in place,and now,I find them ,very musical.,maybe another 50 hours will bring even better results..,we shall see..,??
Overall,an excellent product,and ,will leave my Titan-1's for other types of music,but I find them excellent ,as well.,just a different flavor.

Mike

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,134 of 2,123
Mike, I'm glad you like them. I probably have 200 hours on mine and I really didn't notice much of a change after maybe a little over 100. The high end just gradually came together a bit more, possibly a tad smoother but it's very subtle, at least for my ears.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,135 of 2,123
Morning KC,

Maybe I'm expecting too much,from the 2Kj's ,or,maybe there is something wrong ,with my ears?.
Last night ,I did another,a-b comparison with the Titan's,a very long session,on & off for about 13 hours.,using the same soundtracks,and volume levels
My desktop setup is Magni-2 ,Parasound 1500 vintage{1995}  dac.
I know,this might be a little ..overkill,..but?..volume levels are usually at 9 o'clock..

The 2Kj's are back up ,for sale.

Mike

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,136 of 2,123
  Morning KC,

Maybe I'm expecting too much,from the 2Kj's ,or,maybe there is something wrong ,with my ears?.
Last night ,I did another,a-b comparison with the Titan's,a very long session,on & off for about 13 hours.,using the same soundtracks,and volume levels
I know,this might be a little ..overkill,..but?..volume levels are usually at 9 o'clock..

Mike

Clearly there's something in the DN-2000J's you don't like and you're not alone. You probably don't enjoy its tuning. Titans are probably more your style, more bass, more balanced. But certainly they're not the better IEM for many.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,137 of 2,123

Yeah, that's the right way: the headphone is still the most important part in the audio chain (except for quality recordings), then comes the source (DAC, Amp) and when everything is bought and mostly satisfying, one can try stuff like cables.

What I can say objectively is that some cables indeed have an effect on the frequency response of IEMs with varying impedance response (like all multi-driver IEMs and some single drivers). But as I am a "stock cables, stock ear tips" guy, I don't even want to try different cables.

Oh, and that doesn't stop me from wearing Levi's with a belt. :wink:

To backtrack, my main point was not that I must use an "audiophile cable" with these earphones, but that 9/10  times that my earphones stop working, it's because of the cable. Sure, you could count it as me not being careful, but I use my earphones at work, and when working out, that's why I buy them, and when you spend $340 on earphones, their lifespan shouldn't be dependent on the resilience of a $25 cable.

I don't know what kind of work you do, but for me personally I would instead go for rugged phones designed for workout and similar activities. There's a lot to choose from that's quite inexpensive. Of course, sound quality won't be quite the same, but do you really hear and enjoy all the fine qualities of a phone like the 2000J when working out? I for one can't! (That's not to say the same goes for you, though!).

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,138 of 2,123
I love my 2kj's. I own quite a few high end earphones without the detachable cable. When they are not is use they are in their protective cases. I haven't had trouble with any. If handled properly, I don't think most folks would have any issues. Also diy recabling is not rocket science. They have great forums here for that as well, cheers

That's a habit of mine too, and I've never had any problems with fixed cables. A protective case, some common sense and that's all there is to it. Oh, and I always move a bit slowly when I'm around cables, all sorts of cables!

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,139 of 2,123

Allow me to disagree! I've owned both the K3003 and the 334 and although I've sold both (had each for over a year) the DN2KJ is IMO definitely on par with the K3003 (High Boost Filters) and bests the 334. The treble and bass of the 334 is simply no match for the DN2KJ but I still think the tuning and timbre of the mids of the 334 is some of the best I've heard; plus more forward which I prefer (can be fixed with a bit of EQ though).

Anyway, in my book the DN2KJ is definitely up there with the best and most expensive IEMs! I'm still assessing my loaner but will eventually publish my impressions.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,140 of 2,123
  Morning KC,

Mike

So, mike200, what is it about the Titans that make you prefer them? It would be very interesting to read. Thanks!

BTW, haven't heard the Titans myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back