DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Sep 21, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,111 of 2,123

WOW I CAN'T WAIT TO B...Oh

No detachable cable.

No thanks.

Not spending $3XX on earphones when the cable is going to break every 3 months. I don't see why they can't just make the change.

Had mine way longer than 3 months, and the DN1000 a lot longer than that.  Cables are still in great condition.  One of the most robust IEMs I've come across.  I'm afraid I can't quite get some people's insistence on replaceable cables.  In my experience (mmcx connectors) there is actually more chance of breakage or issues with the replaceable cables than without.

If you're judging the 2000J on lack of replaceable cable - you're missing out IMO. 

To some extent I think it is a prestige thingy. You know, like having four exhaust pipes on you car. It may look really cool but isn't very useful. Never had a problem with fixed cables, but indeed with replaceable cables (loose connection).

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,112 of 2,123

Had mine way longer than 3 months, and the DN1000 a lot longer than that.  Cables are still in great condition.  One of the most robust IEMs I've come across.  I'm afraid I can't quite get some people's insistence on replaceable cables.  In my experience (mmcx connectors) there is actually more chance of breakage or issues with the replaceable cables than without.

If you're judging the 2000J on lack of replaceable cable - you're missing out IMO. 

I agree with you on the whole removable cables thing. I really do think they're overrated and can of course lead to more problems. But, if someone likes the piece-of-mind from having removable cables, or just likes the customization option of switching out for different cables, that's understandable. 

On the 2000J - I've had mine for almost a week and loving it. The cable seems very sturdy and well constructed in my opinion and is one of my favorite iem cables so far. 

In terms of a build quality peace-of-mind, I absolutely agree as well.  But in a back of my mind I'm still curious how I can smooth out sound signature of DN2kJ with a pure copper cable or some other type of wire.  The only advantage of removable cable in this case, at least for me, is using it as another tool for soundshaping
wink.gif

But as I pointed out in the link above, DUNU already announced their huge line up of new DN and Titan models, mostly with removable mmcx connector cables!

Right! Heard about some Head-Fi:er who soaked the entire 3.5mm connector (on the fixed cable) in some sort of substance overnight and now reports tremendous improvements overall. Especially sound stage; "very 3D and extremely live" Another guy told me that this is what he used. I already ordered 10 to make sure I never run out.

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,113 of 2,123
  Right! Heard about some Head-Fi:er who soaked the entire 3.5mm connector (on the fixed cable) in some sort of substance overnight and now reports tremendous improvements overall. Especially sound stage; "very 3D and extremely live" Another guy told me that this is what he used. I already ordered 10 to make sure I never run out.

Do you know what is not snake oil? Try this.

Applied this on my RCA ends and it is amazing how it improved sound.

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,114 of 2,123
I don't want to be a jerk (I'm no cable guy either), but when applied to IEMs with varying impedance response, cables very well do have an influence on the frequency response.
In another community, the owner of a German CIEM company (who is no cable guy himself) tested some cables his clients brought along, just for fun, and it turned out that some of them altered the frequency response, which was by the way measured.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,115 of 2,123

Do you know what is not snake oil? Try this.

Applied this on my RCA ends and it is amazing how it improved sound.

Interesting stuff and I'm sure it improves conductivity. Could come handy, thanks!

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,116 of 2,123
I don't want to be a jerk (I'm no cable guy either), but when applied to IEMs with varying impedance response, cables very well do have an influence on the frequency response.
In another community, the owner of a German CIEM company (who is no cable guy himself) tested some cables his clients brought along, just for fun, and it turned out that some of them altered the frequency response, which was by the way measured.

I don't doubt it (much) but wouldn't an EQ be more convenient? Anyway, if cables do something for someone I'm all for it. Personally I think it's a complete waste of money, unless your cables are broken and need to be replaced.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,117 of 2,123

I don't doubt it (much) but wouldn't an EQ be more convenient? Anyway, if cables do something for someone I'm all for it. Personally I think it's a complete waste of money, unless your cables are broken and need to be replaced.

Well, isn't everything a waste of money? Wouldn't a rope on a pair of Walmart jeans be just as effective as a belt on my Levi's?
Are race fuel and high performance tires really necessary on a daily driven car?
Does my Seiko watch do a better job than my smartphone?

To each his own. Some people use EQs for their headphones to achieve their desired frequency response, others cables and different gear.
What counts is what you as individual know which is the better choice for you. What counts is the personal listening experiece, and if some use cables to get what they want, then I am happy for them.
All I know is that cables can change a headphone's frequency response, which is also measurable, but I don't know if they can improve performance or soundstage because I just haven't tested because my philosophy is "stock cables and stock eartips without any other modifications".

There is just no general better or worse imo, as it is a personal thing what is better for each individual.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #1,119 of 2,123
  is this good for a bass lover? i'm coming from a jvc fx850

Less in quantity as mentioned above, but DN2000J bass quality is excellent!
I'm a bass lover, but so far using DN2000J, though I know the bass quantity is slightly less than what I would like, but I don't feel the bass is lacking. Probably the excellent sub bass extension makes the bass sounds sufficient. I really like the bass quality of DN2000J, fast enough to match the speed of the BA drivers, very good sub bass extension and texture. Btw, I'm using JVC HA-FXD80 eartips for DN2000J.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,120 of 2,123

(1) Well, isn't everything a waste of money? (2) Wouldn't a rope on a pair of Walmart jeans be just as effective as a belt on my Levi's?
Are race fuel and high performance tires really necessary on a daily driven car?
Does my Seiko watch do a better job than my smartphone?

To each his own. Some people use EQs for their headphones to achieve their desired frequency response, others cables and different gear.
What counts is what you as individual know which is the better choice for you. What counts is the personal listening experiece, and if some use cables to get what they want, then I am happy for them.
All I know is that cables can change a headphone's frequency response, which is also measurable, but I don't know if they can improve performance or soundstage because I just haven't tested because my philosophy is "stock cables and stock eartips without any other modifications".

There is just no general better or worse imo, as it is a personal thing what is better for each individual.

(1) No, I wouldn't say that. IEMs - for example - can sound vastly different and so may well be worth the money.

(2) That's exactly my point. What I didn't realize (I guess?) is that some people are in it for the cable itself then, and not for what it does, no?

Anyway, I don't wish to debate cables! All I can say is that I personally don't believe in cables. To me it is just "snake oil". I would recommend any new Head-Fi:er to spend his or her money on headphones/IEMs first, a decent source second (not that important) and CD quality files. As you say, to each his own and I don't mind it one bit as long as I get a chance to state my opinion which I now have done.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,121 of 2,123
Yeah, that's the right way: the headphone is still the most important part in the audio chain (except for quality recordings), then comes the source (DAC, Amp) and when everything is bought and mostly satisfying, one can try stuff like cables.

What I can say objectively is that some cables indeed have an effect on the frequency response of IEMs with varying impedance response (like all multi-driver IEMs and some single drivers). But as I am a "stock cables, stock ear tips" guy, I don't even want to try different cables.

Oh, and that doesn't stop me from wearing Levi's with a belt. :wink:

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #1,122 of 2,123
Yeah, that's the right way: the headphone is still the most important part in the audio chain (except for quality recordings), then comes the source (DAC, Amp) and when everything is bought and mostly satisfying, one can try stuff like cables.

What I can say objectively is that some cables indeed have an effect on the frequency response of IEMs with varying impedance response (like all multi-driver IEMs and some single drivers). But as I am a "stock cables, stock ear tips" guy, I don't even want to try different cables.

Oh, and that doesn't stop me from wearing Levi's with a belt. :wink:

To backtrack, my main point was not that I must use an "audiophile cable" with these earphones, but that 9/10  times that my earphones stop working, it's because of the cable. Sure, you could count it as me not being careful, but I use my earphones at work, and when working out, that's why I buy them, and when you spend $340 on earphones, their lifespan shouldn't be dependent on the resilience of a $25 cable.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #1,123 of 2,123
Got your point.
Sure, it could also be bad luck when the earphones break (even when they have been handled with care), and I feel with you. At least I haven't had problems with IEMs that don't have a good cable, even though I used them for endurance sports.

A replacable cable I a nice feature, sure. But it also takes up some space and makes the IEMs more expensive. The main purpose for replacable cables was for musicians on stage, not for audiophiles; I think this could have been one of the reasons why DUNU hasn't used replacable cables yet. But as others have already said, you may look into DUNU's upcoming IEMs.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,124 of 2,123
Got your point.
Sure, it could also be bad luck when the earphones break (even when they have been handled with care), and I feel with you. At least I haven't had problems with IEMs that don't have a good cable, even though I used them for endurance sports.

A replacable cable I a nice feature, sure. But it also takes up some space and makes the IEMs more expensive. The main purpose for replacable cables was for musicians on stage, not for audiophiles; I think this could have been one of the reasons why DUNU hasn't used replacable cables yet. But as others have already said, you may look into DUNU's upcoming IEMs.

Bit too late for that.

Already bought a pair of JVC HA-FX1100
evil_smiley.gif

We'll see how they fair against my T-Peos H-300, I'm a bit skeptical since the JVCs only have 1 dynamic driver. The hybrid design makes a lot more sense to me.

But hey, if I don't like 'em, I can just return 'em and wait for the new Dunu earphones or just settle for the Altone-350.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,125 of 2,123

Can you please post or pm me a link to this? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back