Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Sep 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,208 of 2,536
Thanks for answering.  :)

Has anyone heard of the stiffening cable causing a problem after a year or more?  The slow/lack of response of their CS concerns me a bit. 

(edit) I've been reading through much of the thread and have a handle on the cable issue, i guess I was being a little lazy.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,210 of 2,536
OK, I've contacted Vivian/Rita (I think I spoke to a Rita some time ago) to ask what I must do to have the cables replaced.  When I compare to my DN-2000 the DN1K's cable is just not as supple.  Also, it seems to retain it's shape a little after taking it out of it's container.  Right now there is no immediate problem, but I don't want to sit with a problem in the future (and my pair looks suspect).

Currently it's apparently some National public holiday from the 1st to the 7th of this month.  So, I'll have to wait until she is back in the office before any response.  My warranty ends in December, so this is really my last chance.

Look at the images below, you can see how the DN1K's cable doesn't lie straight.  I stretched it out straight, but it just curls a little as I put them down.  I have the DN2K next to it for comparison.  I understand it's very difficult to come to any worthwhile opinion by just looking at images, but maybe it will make more sense if you can see.

I hope I'm not just being paranoid. But I have UE600s with a stiff cable close to the buds, and so I understand what they will be like with stiff cables, and I'm all about preventing that.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,212 of 2,536
Hey guys I am late to this party, But finally got myself a 2ND hand pair from E-bay recently. Conclusion is ... I don't know exactly how I did not get these earlier?  

At first I found the Dual flange using the Red spacers were my favorite configuration, alas only for the tips to be left lodged in my ears every time I went to take out the IEM's.

Anyway I followed Paulus XII's advice by placing medical grade tape around the bore of the IEM in effect fattening it so now the Dual flange tips stay on with more grip, I even taped those red spacers as I found they can get lost fairly easily.
These things are really incredible, to me they are simply amazing IEM's period. They punch well above their weight, they have a fairly roomy sound stage, bass & treble quality that's akin to listening to home Hifi system.
They even trumped my Merlin's which are a custom. Admittedly the Merlin's are 4 years old & the seal is not as good as it was in my ears, but even when I placed my fingers over then in effect pushing them in, I found the DN 1000's to be more engaging.
They produced more bass slam & sparklier livelier highs,mids were clearer to me also with a more pleasing rendition of the song. I used the Aussie band Skyhooks Living in the Seventy's as my test track between the 2.

Hmm, Bang for Buck these things are hard to beat.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,213 of 2,536
  Hey guys I am late to this party, But finally got myself a 2ND hand pair from E-bay recently. Conclusion is ... I don't know exactly how I did not get these earlier?  

At first I found the Dual flange using the Red spacers were my favorite configuration, alas only for the tips to be left lodged in my ears every time I went to take out the IEM's.

Anyway I followed Paulus XII's advice by placing medical grade tape around the bore of the IEM in effect fattening it so now the Dual flange tips stay on with more grip, I even taped those red spacers as I found they can get lost fairly easily.
These things are really incredible, to me they are simply amazing IEM's period. They punch well above their weight, they have a fairly roomy sound stage, bass & treble quality that's akin to listening to home Hifi system.
They even trumped my Merlin's which are a custom. Admittedly the Merlin's are 4 years old & the seal is not as good as it was in my ears, but even when I placed my fingers over then in effect pushing them in, I found the DN 1000's to be more engaging.
They produced more bass slam & sparklier livelier highs,mids were clearer to me also with a more pleasing rendition of the song. I used the Aussie band Skyhooks Living in the Seventy's as my test track between the 2.

Hmm, Bang for Buck these things are hard to beat.

I told ya
beerchug.gif
. They're the bomb. Bang for buck definitely. It's curious that I always wanted to try the UM Merlins, but always avoid buying custom due to audiologists and the waiting and all that hassle. But now I see that I didn't miss anything and still saved a small fortune as I got these for 199€ and they're even cheaper on amazon. I'm glad you agreed with me concerning the red spacers and the dual flange tips. They just need that little bit of adhesive tape in the nozzle to fatten it, but who cares...

Cheers!
cool.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #2,215 of 2,536
OK, I've contacted Vivian/Rita (I think I spoke to a Rita some time ago) to ask what I must do to have the cables replaced.  When I compare to my DN-2000 the DN1K's cable is just not as supple.  Also, it seems to retain it's shape a little after taking it out of it's container.  Right now there is no immediate problem, but I don't want to sit with a problem in the future (and my pair looks suspect).

Currently it's apparently some National public holiday from the 1st to the 7th of this month.  So, I'll have to wait until she is back in the office before any response.  My warranty ends in December, so this is really my last chance.

Look at the images below, you can see how the DN1K's cable doesn't lie straight.  I stretched it out straight, but it just curls a little as I put them down.  I have the DN2K next to it for comparison.  I understand it's very difficult to come to any worthwhile opinion by just looking at images, but maybe it will make more sense if you can see.

I hope I'm not just being paranoid. But I have UE600s with a stiff cable close to the buds, and so I understand what they will be like with stiff cables, and I'm all about preventing that.

This is a known issue with the DN-1000s. Does this prevent you from wearing them over-ear? If not, what are you concerned about?

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #2,217 of 2,536
I am now set, Dunu is the new star for me. The Titan1 with my phone & DN1000 handles everything else with style. Ive thrown every genre I could at them except (Kids Nursery rimes) & these things just pass with flying colors.
So detailed & then that bass hits you 
deadhorse.gif

OOOOhhhh loven it....Hit me Hit Me......

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,218 of 2,536
This is a known issue with the DN-1000s. Does this prevent you from wearing them over-ear? If not, what are you concerned about?

I don't wear them over-ear. I use them mostly on my commute to work and I'm sitting still on this journey.

So you're saying the cable is known to retain a shape, say from being housed in their case? And this is not an indication that the cable will become stiff - I still possibly have the newer cable?

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,219 of 2,536
I don't wear them over-ear. I use them mostly on my commute to work and I'm sitting still on this journey.

So you're saying the cable is known to retain a shape, say from being housed in their case? And this is not an indication that the cable will become stiff - I still possibly have the newer cable?

If you slide the cable through your fingers does it still bend easily? 

If its becoming stiff you will feel where its happening.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #2,220 of 2,536
  I am now set, Dunu is the new star for me. The Titan1 with my phone & DN1000 handles everything else with style. Ive thrown every genre I could at them except (Kids Nursery rimes) & these things just pass with flying colors.
So detailed & then that bass hits you 
deadhorse.gif

OOOOhhhh loven it....Hit me Hit Me......

Glad you like them. I want them back, now!!
atsmile.gif

I've gone back to over ears for awhile. The Momentum 2.0's should arrive next week. The most I've ever spent on headphones. Bloody expensive here in Oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back