Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,536

djvkool

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I just pulled the plug on this baby, first reason was because somehow I've a good feeling about this, kinda the same feeling I had before I plunged to VSonic VC-1000 (which turned out to be superbly excellent), and the second reason was because I kinda owe it to Rocky, he picked me as one of the receiver of DN-23's review copy, but I never gave it a proper review back then for various reason.

If anyone is interested in taking the plunge too, seems that the only place to buy from at the moment is bigbargainonline's ebay store (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNU-DN-1000-High-Fidelity-Ultimate-Quality-Hybrid-IEMs-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/290958912285?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43be80ab1d)

I'm pretty sure this is a dual-hybrid IEM, and at $185 (+$14 freight), it's certainly not cheap ($50 more and you can get T-Peos H-200 triple hybrid), however, T-Peos H-100 was around the same price upon release.

Let the waiting game begin, apparently it will be about 2 weeks.

Some pics from Dunu's website

DN-1000B.jpg

DN-1000D.jpg

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 2,536
After spending a week or so with it, combination of brain burn in and mechanical burn in, I can say that my impression now is slightly different to my initial impression.

picture below credit to bigbargainonline ebay shop
DN_1000_zps02759464.jpg

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES
I won't get to too much detail of this, the usual Dunu standard, like all of their IEM, book-style box with magnetic side - accessories wise, you get a tin case, as well as leather string pouch, ear guide, shirt clip, airline adapter, 4 pairs of foam tips, 6 pairs of silicone tips, a pair of dual-flange, and the adjustment ring (more on this one later)

DESIGN
Barrel style, made from metal, good quality cable, this is built like a tank and should be able to withstand rough environments

FIT
OK now, this can get tricky for some people, to be honest with you, none of the included tips fit me well, due to my large canal, I have to use my trusty V-Moda silicone, or the good old Ts Comply foam (the spherical one), you MUST, I repeat, MUST fit this in properly to enjoy its proper sound, I wasn't able to do this until about the 3rd day of mucking around with tips.
This IEM is rather on the heavy side, so those of you with small ear/canal will feel the weight after a while.

ADJUSTMENT RING
Now this is where it gets interesting, the purpose of this is to give you options whether you like shallow fit, or deep fit. There are 3 rings, 2mm, 1.5mm, and 1.2mm. You can mix and match the rings and tips, and I can tell you each combination will give you different sounds; No ring = bassy, smooth treble; 2mm ring = balanced sound, and the other two rings' sound are somewhere in between

At the end, I settled with 1.5mm ring + medium comply Ts = gives me the best sound

SOUND (based on my combination of adjustment ring and tips as above)
Treble - smooth, detailed, and laid back, some spike here and there depending on the song and quality of recording, but I never got annoyed thus far (I'm quite sensitive to treble spikes), and I have yet to hear any sibilance
Mids - not recessed nor forward, slightly behind the bass, very very slightly veiled (though I dare to bet that not everyone will notice this), good detail and timbre, and again very small spike here and there (depending on the song and quality of recording) but rest assured, the spike is nowhere as bad as H-200
Bass - I think given the right combination of ring and tips, this is the centre piece of this IEM. The bass is hard hitting and full, goes down pretty deep, down to perhaps around 30hz before rolling off, the quality of the bass is excellent, and I have a feeling that it will satisfy some basshead to some extent
Sound stage is wide, and separation is excellent

COMPARISON TO OTHER HYBRID
My experience in hybrid IEM is still rather limited, I own H-100 and had a week audition with H-200, I was going to buy Rooth LSX5 but decided to hold off for a while (because my hometown team got to the grand final of Australian Football, so I spent quite a lot of money to fly to Melb to watch them - mind you, AFL grand final is one of the biggest event in Australia so match tickets, airline tickets, and accommodation price around this day is always quadrupled)
In comparison to H-100, this is definitely better (and I am an H-100 fanboi), there are some similarity in the signature, but DN-1000 sounds fuller and much more refined
In comparison to H-200, I can say that H-200 has slightly better sound overall, but one thing that annoyed me with H-200 is its mid-spike

So to conclude - I love the sound, and I like it better than H-100 (even during the time when I was completely in love with H-100) - one let down is the fit, I don't really like it, but then again, most likely its because of my large ear and canal.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 2,536
YES! Someone finally bit. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's one other seller on eBay who has these listed at the moment as well, though bigbargainonline has a lot more positive feedback.

Which IEMs do you think you will be comparing them to from your inventory? Do you have a current favorite?

Also, do you have any proof that it's only a single BA inside? Some people speculated that based on DUNU's website (which doesn't make it clear) even though ClieOS and some sites with impressions I've read online from Vietnam/Japan all mention it as a dual-BA/dynamic configuration.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 2,536
  YES! Someone finally bit. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's one other seller on eBay who has these listed at the moment as well, though bigbargainonline has a lot more positive feedback.

Which IEMs do you think you will be comparing them to from your inventory? Do you have a current favorite?

Also, do you have any proof that it's only a single BA inside? Some people speculated that based on DUNU's website (which doesn't make it clear) even though ClieOS and some sites with impressions I've read online from Vietnam/Japan all mention it as a dual-BA/dynamic configuration.

Hey mate - I will be comparing it other hybrids (I have H-100 and had a week audition with H-200) and some of my goods ones (SM3, 3-Ai, VC1000, etc), and I've also bought Rooth LS5X and will be comparing that to this one too in due time (though this will be about 6-8 weeks wait apparently)

I don't have any proof unfortunately, and I agree with you that the description is quite unclear from everywhere, though from what I understand, this is a dual-hybrid, if this is a triple hybrid then it would be much better and definitely justifies the asking price 
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 2,536
Last time I asked (~ 2 months ago?), DUNU said they have planned to bring it to international market by August. I hope it is just a push back, not a no-show. They have faced some housing issue after the Chinese launch so maybe they are doing more tweaking.

Also, it is definitely a dual BA as since DUNU already makes know that it is using a TWFK + dynamic.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 2,536
Just receive mine - at work now and a quick listen at lunchtime, rest assure it sounds nothing like its FR.

Impressions/review coming soon, but I can say this - sounds better than H-100 (...and yes, I was, and still am, a H-100 fanboi).

Treble is smooth, warm, and laid back, similar to XBA-1/A151 treble, and I have yet to hear any sibilance/spike so far.

Mid is slightly behind the bass, slight spike here and there but nowhere as much as H-200's mid spike

Bass -- YUMMY!!! reminds me of MTPC's bass, except this goes deeper (up to about 40hz before rolling off), thicker, and fuller. Not as controlled as H-200 but 

I have not play around with the 'rings' yet to experience different insertion depth of the tips

more soon...

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 2,536
popcorn.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 2,536
Will have mine tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back