Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #511 of 543
I get mixed feelings on whether to pull the plug on the 3001. I worry that at it's price it might not offer the same value as a lot of the newer hybrids from Asia in the £200-300 range. Fit also worries me.

Earlier in this thread I said I was going to return mine.. but I changed my mind. I usually don't like too much of a v-shape, which this IEM has, but I have played with the EQ a bit and I love it now. I EQ the mids and vocals come forward in a beautiful way. I EQ the bass and it ****ing rumbles! What I would do if I were you is wait until eBay has a 20% off day and pull the trigger then. That's how I got mine for 320. For that little, I don't think you can beat it. I've been going back and forth between it and a Rhapsodio Solar and honestly it's not that far apart in technicality. The dk3001 is more clear and has much bigger bass, but the Solar has a bigger soundstage and sounds... Sweet.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #512 of 543
Thanks for feedback. May sound silly but I'm a bit of a purist and don't tend to care for EQ. I chance between IEMs too often and don't have equipment that saves or stores different EQ settings for a certain IEM like more modern DAPs do

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #513 of 543
Thanks for feedback. May sound silly but I'm a bit of a purist and don't tend to care for EQ. I chance between IEMs too often and don't have equipment that saves or stores different EQ settings for a certain IEM like more modern DAPs do

I get that completely. I felt the same way no more than 4 months ago. After I saw what it could do, though, it's become part of all the fun as well as an invaluable tool.

What I realized about the dk3001 is that with a small bump in EQ, it can go from being great in some genres to an awesome all-arounder, and you can do it on your phone or anything. I'll shut up now lol.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #514 of 543
Not silly at all. The problem with EQ (IMO) is that people who use it tend to try and make every IEM sound the same. They have their personal preference on tonality and try to make every IEM conform to that specific signature.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #515 of 543
Not silly at all. The problem with EQ (IMO) is that people who use it tend to try and make every IEM sound the same. They have their personal preference on tonality and try to make every IEM conform to that specific signature.

After EQ'ing for a long time, I gotta say, this is quite true. You can't just EQ anything to any signature, most IEMs and Headpohones have their own limits and EQ'ing them too much can result in sound that isn't their best.

This being said, I have a ceretain sound I want my music to have and my EQ curves tend to try to bring every IEM to the most natural sound (to my ears and for my music), but not everything can respond the same to EQ, this is why my advice for EQ can vary widely between IEMs and Headphones, simply, some respond really well to EQ and imrpove, while others do not respond well at all to EQ.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #516 of 543
If I have to EQ more than reducing a specific peak or adding a bit of bass, I generally don't listen to those 'phones. I'd much rather swap pads/tips or mod the hardware a bit instead. The idea of a Procrustean EQ bulldozing all variety and ignoring distortion strikes me as the worst possible use.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #517 of 543

Man... This made me defensive and probably cause you're (mostly) right haha. It makes me curious to see something. Am I the only one here who found the 3001 Mid-range to be way too thin? That's the only place I feel like I need to EQ.. Well and bass, but nothing ever has enough bass for me. They sound incredible with the mid-range brightb out by just a few db.

After EQ'ing for a long time, I gotta say, this is quite true. You can't just EQ anything to any signature, most IEMs and Headpohones have their own limits and EQ'ing them too much can result in sound that isn't their best.

This being said, I have a ceretain sound I want my music to have and my EQ curves tend to try to bring every IEM to the most natural sound (to my ears and for my music), but not everything can respond the same to EQ, this is why my advice for EQ can vary widely between IEMs and Headphones, simply, some respond really well to EQ and imrpove, while others do not respond well at all to EQ.

Well put!

If I have to EQ more than reducing a specific peak or adding a bit of bass, I generally don't listen to those 'phones. I'd much rather swap pads/tips or mod the hardware a bit instead. The idea of a Procrustean EQ bulldozing all variety and ignoring distortion strikes me as the worst possible use.
That's honestly not that different but more work and more expensive. If you can nudge the sound a bit to satisfaction, to me that's a much simpler solution and should be attempted first before spending money.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #518 of 543
All I do is EQ my 3001's with a bit of extra bass through my ES100 EQ and they sing like a dream

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #520 of 543
Man... This made me defensive and probably cause you're (mostly) right haha. It makes me curious to see something. Am I the only one here who found the 3001 Mid-range to be way too thin? That's the only place I feel like I need to EQ.. Well and bass, but nothing ever has enough bass for me. They sound incredible with the mid-range brightb out by just a few db.

I found the mid-range to be fairly dependent on insertion depth and seal. Getting the nozzles further into my ears was key. Rolling tips helped with that and filled out the mids to be more on the level of the bass. The 'phones certainly take some work to get just right.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #521 of 543
I found the mid-range to be fairly dependent on insertion depth and seal. Getting the nozzles further into my ears was key. Rolling tips helped with that and filled out the mids to be more on the level of the bass. The 'phones certainly take some work to get just right.

Interesting. I gave up on deep insertion and went for a good seal instead. Which tips do you use? I ordered some Symbio Ws and I'm hoping they'll do the trick .

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #522 of 543
Interesting. I gave up on deep insertion and went for a good seal instead. Which tips do you use? I ordered some Symbio Ws and I'm hoping they'll do the trick .

Well, I use Symbio W's. They've been a real lifesaver with these shallow insertion nozzles. Returning to the mids question, I should also add that I swapped the cable for a very good copper one, run them balanced, and have put about 60 hours on them. Depending upon your various audio beliefs, that information might matter to you. Whatever did it, they now sound like a wide and shallow U, with less treble tizz and more mid-bass than new with all stock parts.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #523 of 543
Well, I use Symbio W's. They've been a real lifesaver with these shallow insertion nozzles. Returning to the mids question, I should also add that I swapped the cable for a very good copper one, run them balanced, and have put about 60 hours on them. Depending upon your various audio beliefs, that information might matter to you. Whatever did it, they now sound like a wide and shallow U, with less treble tizz and more mid-bass than new with all stock parts.
That's awesome to hear. I'm even more excited to receive the tips now. I don't know what I believe about cables because I haven't really tested many out, but I do run them balanced as well.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #525 of 543
OK all.

I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to this. But I need some advice.
As much as I love the DK-3001, my left ear is very sensitive to a certain frequency (obviously in the upper range), and the 3001 unfortunately "hurts" my ear on certain parts of songs - not the fault of the DK-3001, I still think they're great.
The DN-2002 and the Falcon-C both give my left ear no hassle. I'm not in the market to buy any new pair, but now I need to know what should I now look out for in future. Also, the AKG K702 I use on my PC doesn't seem to hassle me either.

I've been looking at these measurements and maybe some input from someone who knows more on this could help:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/dunu-dn-2002.php
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/dunu-falcon-c.php
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/dunu-dk-3001.php

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back