Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #136 of 543
I'll try it. =)

In the mids and highs, the two are very different when it comes to tuning - the Audeze is quite a bit smoother and laid-back whereas the DUNU is brighter and tuned for an airy presentation with an elevated upper vocal range (while the LCD-X is tuned for a fuller and darker midrange). Actually, the LCD-X is more comparable with the Shure SE215 in the mids and highs (the Audeze is more laid-back in the lower treble, the Shure is a bit more prominent around 5 kHz, and the Audeze is smooth and laid-back although not as recessed as the Shure in the upper treble around 8-10 kHz).

The DUNU sounds quite noticeably bassier than the LCD-X, however even when EQing down its bass, it still has that nice, almost visceral and vivid texture and rumble. In that way it resembles the Audeze a lot. While bass is a bit more on the softer side on both the DUNU and Audeze, both are excellently controlled in the lows and well, that liquid texture is what makes both stand out.
If the DUNU were a full-sized headphone, I'd say its soundstage would be wider than the Audeze's (that isn't really all that wide at all and appears quite narrow compared to my HD 800 that, as you might know, has got a super wide soundstage reproduction). On the other hand, the LCD-X would feature the deeper, more layered soundstage.

While their tuning is quite different, their bass slam, texture and almost visceral presentation are what make them special and unite them.

Thank you! That was very helpful. It's hard to find comparisons between the LCD-X and something I have actually heard.

Your comparison of the soundstage of the two is interesting. I actually feel that the DUNU have a wide soundstage for IEMs, definitely the widest out of those I own, and fantastic separation and layering. I was unsure if that was just because it was among the brightest 'phones I own or if that was because they were really good at it.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #137 of 543
Not many vendors have these in the US but there is a store in NYC that has them and via an ebay storefront - audio46. Ordered my set today, should be here Tuesday. I have a feeling I'll keep both these and the 2000J's but can't wait to hear the 3001's!!!!!!!!

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #138 of 543
Not many vendors have these in the US but there is a store in NYC that has them and via an ebay storefront - audio46. Ordered my set today, should be here Tuesday. I have a feeling I'll keep both these and the 2000J's but can't wait to hear the 3001's!!!!!!!!
If you can manage to get a comfortable fit I'm sure you will love the sound.

Sep 24, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #139 of 543
If you can manage to get a comfortable fit I'm sure you will love the sound.

I tried out the 2002's awhile back but preferred the 2000J's, but got an easy fit with the 2002's. The 3001's look easier to fit so I hope it will be another easy go at it!

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #140 of 543
The 3001's look easier to fit [...]

They are - well, at least for me. While I have to rotate the 2002's shells a bit forward so that the connectors are not in the way, the DK-3001 fits very comfortably and great in my ears (however due to its design, I can definitely understand that some people are having comfort issues).

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #141 of 543
They are - well, at least for me. While I have to rotate the 2002's shells a bit forward so that the connectors are not in the way, the DK-3001 fits very comfortably and great in my ears (however due to its design, I can definitely understand that some people are having comfort issues).

Turns out the 3001's fit perfectly in my ears as well. Initial impressions are the sound is more spacious and 3 dimensional vs the 2000J's. Only been listening to them for 30 minutes but sound so good so far. Still feel super comfy too. I think this investment is gonna pay off :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #142 of 543
Turns out the 3001's fit perfectly in my ears as well. Initial impressions are the sound is more spacious and 3 dimensional vs the 2000J's. Only been listening to them for 30 minutes but sound so good so far. Still feel super comfy too. I think this investment is gonna pay off :)
Interested in your comparison between the 3001 and the 2000j

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #143 of 543
Anyone else get the feeling that the DK-3001 are the hybrid IEM's that Sony has been trying to make for the last five years?

:laughing:

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #144 of 543
Interested in your comparison bettween the 3001 and the 2000j

Definitely. Gonna stick with the 3001's for a couple days before I throw on the 2000J's and start making comparisons. I think Brooko always says to do that. I think it's Brooko - keep the new pair on a couple days before starting comparisons.

Have had the 3001's on since 1:30 and they are indeed pretty amazing. My gut tells me these are without a doubt superior to the 2000J's and will become part of my EDC. Trying the spinfit tips and the include grey silicone tips. One other impression I have is that the spinfits slightly muddy the presentation by dulling the highs and emphasizing bass. I like the gray silicone tips better so far.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #145 of 543
Overall balance is a lot better with the 3001 - and I’d regard them as sonically superior as well -so you are not alone here.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #146 of 543
Overall balance is a lot better with the 3001 - and I’d regard them as sonically superior as well -so you are not alone here.

Yeah totally. I have barely taken these off in the last almost 6 hours. Well recorded songs just blow me away more so than I remember on the 2000J's, which I was listening to a couple days ago. The Riot's Gone by Santigold is just epic on these things. I ordered some Auvio and Spiral dot tips to play around with the sound and seal a bit. I'm pleased with where my $500 has gone.

I also love the build quality feel of these things. They feel like little audio producing tanks. The 2000J's feel tough but the wire attachment, look-wise, does not inspire confidence.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #147 of 543
I just wish they fit me better. If it wasn't a review sample - I'd be modifying mine.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #148 of 543
I just wish they fit me better. If it wasn't a review sample - I'd be modifying mine.

Fun thing is, they actually fit me extremely well, but I'd be modifying them if they weren't, then add it as a part of the review, simply because it might help some people if they wanted to apply similar changes. I can totally understand how they could be uncomfortable to some, but they work really well for me, but only with Spinfit tips. With the other tips, I can feel the edge being a bit too much :smile_phones:

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #149 of 543
Fun thing is, they actually fit me extremely well, but I'd be modifying them if they weren't, then add it as a part of the review, simply because it might help some people if they wanted to apply similar changes. I can totally understand how they could be uncomfortable to some, but they work really well for me, but only with Spinfit tips. With the other tips, I can feel the edge being a bit too much :smile_phones:

yeah i took a look in the mirror and they fit my ears like a glove. I just wish there was an ML sized tip. I'm like right in between Medium and Large on the silicones. The spinfits fit me fine but I don't like them quite as much. So I'll see if the spiral dot ML works out for me.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #150 of 543
oh and why is this thread so damn short lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back