1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA

Tags:
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last
  1. Brooko Contributor
    They always seem to nail the sound - so if they can tick the ergonomics box, you'd have something to compete with TOTL.

2. subguy812
    They nailed the sound on the DK-3001 for sure. I do hope they work on eliminating ridges and sharp edges.

Brooko likes this.
  3. phthora
    Just got mine!

Impressions after 60 seconds of listening through my Black Label:
    They fit! And they are comfortable. That's a relief. I will be changing the tips though. The fit is very shallow, hard to even tell they are there.
    Hot damn -- that is some hard-hitting bass. Only my Sony MDR-XB90EX with 16mm drivers punch harder. Better control with these though.
    Love the cable. No microphonics past about chin level. Sits behind my ears and glasses quite nicely.

More to come.

4. subguy812
    Yes the bass is hard hitting and excellent, I love DD bass..I am glad you are not experiencing comfort issues. The fit is shallow and I found the best luck with SpinFit tips. Unfortunately there is no lip on the nozzle to keep many other tips from staying in your ears when you remove the IEM. Enjoy

5. phthora
    I think it's down to SpinFits vs Spiral Dots. Sort of predictable. Rolled through Trinity audio single and double flange silicon, Sony Hybrids (thought they explode putting them on), MEE single/double/wide double/ and triple flange, and the stock tips.

The Spiral Dots really up the bass, but wash out the mids a bit. The SpinFits are more balanced, but less impactful. I think I'll have to spend a couple days with each before deciding. Admittedly, the fit and seal is better with the SpinFits.

6. subguy812
    The SpinFits appeared to allow a better seal for the shallow fit. I would like to have used the JVC but I would of had to use a sleeve so they stayed on the nozzle, I always left the Spiral Dots in my ears.

7. phthora
    I was concerned about that with the Spiral Dots, but so far they haven't stuck in my ears. However, the seal is pretty light for me, which could explain that. Right now I'm trying to find tips that cut the sibilance a bit, maybe up the mids while they're at it.

8. subguy812
    If you are having sibilance issues I would think a more narrow bore tip would benefit you. Did you try Symbio Mandarins? I would venture a guess and say if you went up a size in the Spiral Dot tips you would achieve a better seal but they would also stay in your ears when you remove the monitor.

9. phthora
    I revisited the MEE single flange tips and they cut down the sibilance a bit. They are slightly longer and slightly narrower in bore than the stock tips, but have a stiff core unlike the SpinFits. But then the bass isn't as defined.

I think the larger size of Dots would be too big, just going by the larger sized tips I have. The mediums are just a touch too small.

The Mandarins are going on my list to buy, but my guess is that the wide bore will preserve the sibilance anyway. The Sony Hybrids did. Only one way to find out...

10. PinkyPowers
    I am shocked anyone is hearing sibilance with these. Not a hint of it from mine, no matter which tips I use.

11. Dobrescu George
    I agree. If anything, DK-3001 are too friendly, I'd want way more treble to be happy, especially with metal and acoustic music.

12. Brooko Contributor
    A headphone can't cause sibilance. It can only reproduce it if it exists in the recording. And it will either reproduce it, mask it or enhance it.

I agree with Pinky - the DK-3001 has a pretty benign (but detailed) treble with no major peaks. So if you're hearing sibilance - look for a better recording / master :)

Dobrescu George likes this.
  13. crabdog
    Yep the DK-3001 is definitely smooth sailing up top. Try getting a better seal @phthora because unless you're ultra-hyper-sensitive to treble something aint' right.

14. subguy812
    It was the first mention of anything harsh I have read from anyone regarding these, it kind of caught me off guard. If DUNU corrects a couple of annoyances, one major and one not so major IMO, they have nailed it. The "ridge" has to go. The lack of isolation due to shallow insertion, I can live with because the music forms a barrier. The sound really agrees with me.

PinkyPowers likes this.
  15. HiFiChris Contributor
    I agree - DUNU has managed to implement a very good compromise between brightness/airiness and evenness while avoiding accentuated sibilance/sharpness. Sure, the mids and highs are a bit more on the coloured side (and therefore definitely not to everyone's tastes), however they don't appear displaced or any peaky.

@subguy812 Looking at the IEMs and full-sized headphones you used to have/still have, I noticed that some of them are rather polite in the highs. If you don't mind using an EQ, there are a few tweaks you could apply. If not, then I fear the DK-3001 just isn't the right product for you and that the DN-2002 (although it isn't on the same technical level overall) would be a better match if we're talking DUNU hybrids.

Dobrescu George likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next

Last