1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Dunu DK-3001 IEM - 4 driver, 1Dynamic + 3BA

Tags:
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. subguy812
    Chris...I think you meant that message for someone else I already own and have reviewed them. I love them minus the sadism involved when using them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. HiFiChris Contributor
    Oops, you're 100% right. I should have been referring to @phthora but my eyes skipped a line for some reason. My bad.

@phthora Is it actually sibilance (roughly somewhere between 7 and 11 kHz for most people) or just that the 5 kHz range doesn't really have a recession/dip unlike most IEMs?

Dobrescu George likes this.
  3. phthora
    It's much better through my DP-X1 than through my Black Label. I will have to play around with the settings on the BL, maybe it's a synergy thing. Also, I still don't know if I'm using the right tips and getting a good seal.

That being said, the sibilance is actually not that noticeable. And, as HiFiChris suggested, it may just be a FR I'm not as used to and details I've not noticed before. No way in hell I'm returning these, BTW. They'd have to be an absolute mess in the rest of the spectrum for me to give up that bass.

4. phthora
    It's an exaggerated S and sometimes T sound, also occasionally making the cymbals oddly splashy. 7-8k maybe. But, as I said, it seems to only happen on the BL. I think I need to play around with some settings.

5. PinkyPowers
    This makes more sense. In my review of the Black Label, I talk about the treble being a little hot for some headphones. I didn't like how it made my Meze 99 Classics sound, for instance.

6. hi-fi amateur
    @HiFiChris - Will you be reviewing the 3001 anytime soon? I’m interested in getting your take on them.

7. HiFiChris Contributor
    You can expect my full review (in German, however as always with a Google Translate widget option) in about 2-3 weeks from now.

Yeah, that texture is really nice, isn't it? :)

8. phthora
    Aww... That's a bummer. I haven't noticed that effect before, but as mentioned, I mostly listen to polite 'phones when it comes to treble.

The MEE single flanges seem to cut the sibilance back, but they also reduce the bass. That's a poor trade-off, if you ask me.

The bass is incredible. It hits so hard, but it's so controlled and not soaked in mid-bass. It's like the best combination of the features of planar bass and dynamic bass. Wonderful presentation.

9. PixelSquish
    I'll be buying these in a couple weeks, then probably selling my 2000J's :ksc75smile:

10. HiFiChris Contributor
    This. Exactly this.

It isn't the tightest or fastest bass presentations, however excellently controlled. And that texture that makes the lows appear almost palpable (even when it's turned down via EQ) is what makes it stand out - yeah, except for the quantity (the DUNU is a good bit bassier), the DK-3001's lows definitely remind me of my Audeze LCD-X's bass presentation.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  11. PixelSquish
    Does anybody who has the 3001's AND the Dunu 2000J's give a brief response as to the differences between the two? Thanks!

12. subguy812
    It has been a long long time sine I have heard or owned the 2000J. To be honest, I never liked the 2000J...harsh and sibilant with the wrong music files. Treble is not really my thing....I do love the DK-3001 this is an entirely different level. Keep in mind others love the 2000J , that is just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  13. PixelSquish
    I'm one of the folks who loves their 2000J's. I don't find them sibilant but I'd like a different sound as well for sometimes, like a bit darker. Although I love the bass on the 2000J's there is no doubt they are a bright sounding set. . Perhaps I'll keep both dunu iem's if the sound is so different.

14. phthora
    I know it's a bit odd, but could you talk a little more about this comparison? I have long lusted after the LCD-X and it would be helpful to have a comparison to something I actually own.

15. HiFiChris Contributor
    I'll try it. =)

In the mids and highs, the two are very different when it comes to tuning - the Audeze is quite a bit smoother and laid-back whereas the DUNU is brighter and tuned for an airy presentation with an elevated upper vocal range (while the LCD-X is tuned for a fuller and darker midrange). Actually, the LCD-X is more comparable with the Shure SE215 in the mids and highs (the Audeze is more laid-back in the lower treble, the Shure is a bit more prominent around 5 kHz, and the Audeze is smooth and laid-back although not as recessed as the Shure in the upper treble around 8-10 kHz).

The DUNU sounds quite noticeably bassier than the LCD-X, however even when EQing down its bass, it still has that nice, almost visceral and vivid texture and rumble. In that way it resembles the Audeze a lot. While bass is a bit more on the softer side on both the DUNU and Audeze, both are excellently controlled in the lows and well, that liquid texture is what makes both stand out.
    If the DUNU were a full-sized headphone, I'd say its soundstage would be wider than the Audeze's (that isn't really all that wide at all and appears quite narrow compared to my HD 800 that, as you might know, has got a super wide soundstage reproduction). On the other hand, the LCD-X would feature the deeper, more layered soundstage.

While their tuning is quite different, their bass slam, texture and almost visceral presentation are what make them special and unite them.

phthora likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last