DUNU DK-2001 - 3 BA + 1 beryllium DD hybrid: the long-awaited follow-up to the DN-2000 and DN-2000J!
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #46 of 292
How is the detail retrieval? Is it comparable to any other iem you have?

Regards.
I don't think I'm qualified to answer this. I listen for enjoyment and don't listen too critically. I have an (almost) 21 month old toddler, so my available listening time is limited. When I do get a chance to listen I also usually have to multi-task (probably ~2/3 of my listening time is while working). Huge part of why I switched from headphones to IEMs as well; so I can listen at work and run around the house instead of being limited to an area.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #47 of 292
Relative to price tag, I would say the detail retrieval strikes above it's price tag. The DK-2001 is more of a foot tapping type of experience. The musicality is very evident upon a listening session. The detail retrieval is certainly not analytical or clinical level. I did make reference to, in the Audio Rabbit Hole write up, that the depth of stage was impressive, which does allow details to appear in the stage. An example of a track was the new extended release Bigly Strictness, Snarky Puppy.

I do want to say something relative to seal and bass. While the profile of the shell is very thin and streamline I would recommend that you play with the depth of insertion. When I use the Sedna tips I found if I didn't push the IEM into my ear to it's furthest(so it sits flush) and I am talking very slight positioning, the response is very impressive. I kind of feel that while it still feels like you have a great seal with the DK-2001 inserted as far in as it can go, I feel it may actually slightly break the seal. This will be very tip dependent, firmness and stepping up a size. The bass levels are very impressive with this IEM.

Oh, very interesting information. I had never heard about sedna eartips, I currently use some final type e with falcon c and I am doing very well.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #48 of 292
I don't think I'm qualified to answer this. I listen for enjoyment and don't listen too critically. I have an (almost) 21 month old toddler, so my available listening time is limited. When I do get a chance to listen I also usually have to multi-task (probably ~2/3 of my listening time is while working). Huge part of why I switched from headphones to IEMs as well; so I can listen at work and run around the house instead of being limited to an area.

I understand my friend. Well, finally that's what this hobby is for, enjoy music. And if the headphone meets that premise, it's good.

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #50 of 292
So this arrived much faster than expected :ksc75smile: The NOBLE will be going on my Empire Ears Legend X.

I'm not a reviewer by any means. Normally I don't bother because there are plenty of other opinions from folks far more experienced than me, but this is actually my first time pre-ordering something that wasn't already hyped up by reviewers getting early access. Additionally, DUNU was FANTASTIC in terms of support. I PM'd on here back and forth several times with questions and they were very quick and thorough on their responses. I also think they are doing a fantastic job engaging with the community here on Head-Fi and provide thoughtful responses. I love to support a company willing to go above and beyond like that, so I'll share my first impressions.

Unboxing:
Very nice for the price point. Nothing left to be desired for me.

Accessories:
Wow, the cable is spectacular. The softness/flexibility is wonderful. The heatshrink for the ear guides is relatively thin and sits well. Very low microphonics. And obviously the interchangeable plugs are the showstopper. It comes with 3.5mm SE standard, but I also bought 4.4mm and 2.5mm balanced separately. I haven't listened to them extensively, but confirmed everything is working well on my FiiO M11 Pro, which has all 3 output types and it is very easy/quick to switch plugs. I haven't tried the stock tips, so no comment there (initial impressions are with SpinFits I already had) . My only niggle is the carrying case. The style and color way (bright blue with gold zipper) make it look like a woman's coin purse. I know this would increase the cost, but I think it would be better if the case color matched the IEM color (black, orange, or turquoise). Anyways, not a big deal for me because I already have other cases I use. Eventually the cable will be sold separately for $79, which I think is an amazing bargain.

Build quality & fit:
Stellar. A little heavy for the size, but feels like great quality. I love the size and fit. I can get them to sit flush in my ears, which is great because often times I like to listen to music when going to bed and I'm a side sleeper. Overall really pleased. I think even if it was double the price the entire kit wouldn't feel out of place.

Sound:
Here's where I don't really have the vocabulary to do reviews, justice. Also keep in mind I don't have golden ears either, so take my impressions with a boulder of salt :) Real quick impressions from <2 hours of listening.
Rap/Hip-hop: nice dynamic bass. It can go deep and is rumbly, but it's not basshead quantities. Couple of my go-to tracks to test bass: J.Cole - Middle Child. Future - Mask Off. The bass on these is ridiculous (in a good way) on my EE LX. The 2001 don't get anywhere near close to that level, but it's good bass and definitely emphasized above neutral.
Orchestral: Star Wars theme. Sounds very nice. Pretty good soundstage and good separation between instruments. Clarity is average.
Rock/Alternative: My favorite on this set so far. Seether - Fine Again, Tool - Inoculum, Sublime - What I Got all sound great.

This is a pretty forgiving set as well. I have a CD rip of Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication and that album is recorded/mastered very poorly. There's distortion and clipping throughout and on revealing gear it's almost to the point of unlistenable. I listened to 4-5 tracks from the album and they were pretty enjoyable on this set.

Other:
Easy to drive. 40-50 steps out of 120 on my M11 Pro on low gain was plenty. Haven't tried it on my KANN CUBE yet, so no comment on how it scales.
Haven’t experienced any driver flex.
Isolation is not great. Wearing them in the living room with nothing playing and the TV on and I can hear the TV very clearly. Might not be great if the plan is to use them for commuting like on a plane/train.

Overall very pleased with these at the price point! I don't really have very many things to nitpick. It's a great package at an attractive price!
Glad to hear that about californication. It's my go to album to see if something is forgiving because there are a few songs on it I really love (this velvet glove in particular). I have some pairs that it sounds absolutely terrible with because it's such a crap recording and they're too analytical (CL2, tape, etc).

The most forgiving pair I've ever heard was the legend x, so if it's at all similar, for this price that's a big win.

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #51 of 292
So this arrived much faster than expected :ksc75smile: The NOBLE will be going on my Empire Ears Legend X.

I'm not a reviewer by any means. Normally I don't bother because there are plenty of other opinions from folks far more experienced than me, but this is actually my first time pre-ordering something that wasn't already hyped up by reviewers getting early access. Additionally, DUNU was FANTASTIC in terms of support. I PM'd on here back and forth several times with questions and they were very quick and thorough on their responses. I also think they are doing a fantastic job engaging with the community here on Head-Fi and provide thoughtful responses. I love to support a company willing to go above and beyond like that, so I'll share my first impressions.

Unboxing:
Very nice for the price point. Nothing left to be desired for me.

Accessories:
Wow, the cable is spectacular. The softness/flexibility is wonderful. The heatshrink for the ear guides is relatively thin and sits well. Very low microphonics. And obviously the interchangeable plugs are the showstopper. It comes with 3.5mm SE standard, but I also bought 4.4mm and 2.5mm balanced separately. I haven't listened to them extensively, but confirmed everything is working well on my FiiO M11 Pro, which has all 3 output types and it is very easy/quick to switch plugs. I haven't tried the stock tips, so no comment there (initial impressions are with SpinFits I already had) . My only niggle is the carrying case. The style and color way (bright blue with gold zipper) make it look like a woman's coin purse. I know this would increase the cost, but I think it would be better if the case color matched the IEM color (black, orange, or turquoise). Anyways, not a big deal for me because I already have other cases I use. Eventually the cable will be sold separately for $79, which I think is an amazing bargain.

Build quality & fit:
Stellar. A little heavy for the size, but feels like great quality. I love the size and fit. I can get them to sit flush in my ears, which is great because often times I like to listen to music when going to bed and I'm a side sleeper. Overall really pleased. I think even if it was double the price the entire kit wouldn't feel out of place.

Sound:
Here's where I don't really have the vocabulary to do reviews, justice. Also keep in mind I don't have golden ears either, so take my impressions with a boulder of salt :) Real quick impressions from <2 hours of listening.
Rap/Hip-hop: nice dynamic bass. It can go deep and is rumbly, but it's not basshead quantities. Couple of my go-to tracks to test bass: J.Cole - Middle Child. Future - Mask Off. The bass on these is ridiculous (in a good way) on my EE LX. The 2001 don't get anywhere near close to that level, but it's good bass and definitely emphasized above neutral.
Orchestral: Star Wars theme. Sounds very nice. Pretty good soundstage and good separation between instruments. Clarity is average.
Rock/Alternative: My favorite on this set so far. Seether - Fine Again, Tool - Inoculum, Sublime - What I Got all sound great.

This is a pretty forgiving set as well. I have a CD rip of Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication and that album is recorded/mastered very poorly. There's distortion and clipping throughout and on revealing gear it's almost to the point of unlistenable. I listened to 4-5 tracks from the album and they were pretty enjoyable on this set.

Other:
Easy to drive. 40-50 steps out of 120 on my M11 Pro on low gain was plenty. Haven't tried it on my KANN CUBE yet, so no comment on how it scales.
Haven’t experienced any driver flex.
Isolation is not great. Wearing them in the living room with nothing playing and the TV on and I can hear the TV very clearly. Might not be great if the plan is to use them for commuting like on a plane/train.

Overall very pleased with these at the price point! I don't really have very many things to nitpick. It's a great package at an attractive price!

Glad you're enjoying them! It's totally understandable that some people may find the blue carrying case is a little strange.

The idea for the case came from an evolution of the case that was included with the TITAN 6. We worked to improve its utility by including an elastic pouch for the modular plugs and any extra tips people may wish to carry, while improving the feel of the leatherette texture. Does it look/feel like a coin purse? Sure, some might construe it as being that, and some may even use it as such. We did receive quite a bit of feedback in China to make our cases appeal to both sexes, and fashion accessories are very much in the norm for any gender in Asia. We also understand many of our customers have a lot of cases, and if this case doesn't end up being used, it may end up being used for some other purpose.

One thing it is, though, is definitely a bit of a departure from the very stark, utilitarian look we had with our past products --- for example, our DK-3001 included a waterproof, Pelican-like case, as did our old DN series. We're just trying something different this time around.

We are always trying different things with our cases, we've had a lot of them over the years. It'd be great to get some audience feedback too.

For example, these are some of the various designs we've tried and prototyped as variants off the case included with the DK-3001 PRO and DK-4001:

IMG_5821.JPG

Great review! Totally agree about the support from the Dunu team. They have been excellent.

One thing I’ve found is that Dunu are very responsive to tip rolling so definitely try some others out.

We definitely encourage people to try out as many tips as possible to try to get the optimal fit. Isolation naturally comes with a good seal and a deep enough fit.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #52 of 292
Glad you're enjoying them! It's totally understandable that some people may find the blue carrying case is a little strange.

The idea for the case came from an evolution of the case that was included with the TITAN 6. We worked to improve its utility by including an elastic pouch for the modular plugs and any extra tips people may wish to carry, while improving the feel of the leatherette texture. Does it look/feel like a coin purse? Sure, some might construe it as being that, and some may even use it as such. We did receive quite a bit of feedback in China to make our cases appeal to both sexes, and fashion accessories are very much in the norm for any gender in Asia. We also understand many of our customers have a lot of cases, and if this case doesn't end up being used, it may end up being used for some other purpose.

One thing it is, though, is definitely a bit of a departure from the very stark, utilitarian look we had with our past products --- for example, our DK-3001 included a waterproof, Pelican-like case, as did our old DN series. We're just trying something different this time around.

We are always trying different things with our cases, we've had a lot of them over the years. It'd be great to get some audience feedback too.

For example, these are some of the various designs we've tried and prototyped as variants off the case included with the DK-3001 PRO and DK-4001:

We definitely encourage people to try out as many tips as possible to try to get the optimal fit. Isolation naturally comes with a good seal and a deep enough fit.

Uhhhhhh....How do I get that Camo one!!!!

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #53 of 292
Uhhhhhh....How do I get that Camo one!!!!

That one is a one-off, but we'll try to make it happen if enough people want it. We'll try to organize some kind of poll some time.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #54 of 292
Had been burning the DK-2001 for the last 7 days. It sounded fantastic out of the box and has tightened up a bit more after burning. The mid bass looseness is gone ans it sound tighter and more focused rather than being a bit out of place. I just simply didnt had any problem with the mid range but the upper mid sounded slower which has been tightened up. Treble just simply had nothing to correct about.
The Overall signature is very smooth and delivers one of most engaging sound with plenty of details to it.

Driving the DK-2001 is fairly easy, one can easily drive it out of mobile phones and entry level DAPs.

ffff-5212.jpg

One of the best things about the new DK series is their modular cable, one just dont need to work on the earpieces which can be a problem with time.
Dunu has implemented a simpler modular design to change plug termination. Much easier and less stressing.
The cable itself is one of the most supple and least microphonic stock cables for under $500 earphones.

The nozzle has been re worked since the DK-3001 which had been facing some heat for its shallow fit.
The DK-2001 bodyis now smaller, doesnt have the notch on the inner side of the earpiece and the nozzle now is longer for deeper insertion.

ffff-5221.jpg

ffff-5214.jpg

ffff-5219.jpg

The most impressive aspect of the DK-2001 is its stage size and its ability to place cues farther than anything else for under $500. The sonicality is simply outstanding.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #55 of 292
Had been burning the DK-2001 for the last 7 days. It sounded fantastic out of the box and has tightened up a bit more after burning. The mid bass looseness is gone ans it sound tighter and more focused rather than being a bit out of place. I just simply didnt had any problem with the mid range but the upper mid sounded slower which has been tightened up. Treble just simply had nothing to correct about.
The Overall signature is very smooth and delivers one of most engaging sound with plenty of details to it.

Driving the DK-2001 is fairly easy, one can easily drive it out of mobile phones and entry level DAPs.

One of the best things about the new DK series is their modular cable, one just dont need to work on the earpieces which can be a problem with time.
Dunu has implemented a simpler modular design to change plug termination. Much easier and less stressing.
The cable itself is one of the most supple and least microphonic stock cables for under $500 earphones.

The nozzle has been re worked since the DK-3001 which had been facing some heat for its shallow fit.
The DK-2001 bodyis now smaller, doesnt have the notch on the inner side of the earpiece and the nozzle now is longer for deeper insertion.

The most impressive aspect of the DK-2001 is its stage size and its ability to place cues farther than anything else for under $500. The sonicality is simply outstanding.

Ok, I don't need to hear more feedback, I just bought a DK2001 for Penon Audio. I hope it is a good upgrade of my Falcon C.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #56 of 292
Ok, I don't need to hear more feedback, I just bought a DK2001 for Penon Audio. I hope it is a good upgrade of my Falcon C.

I have not tried the Falcon C but the DK-2001 is fantastic for the price.

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #57 of 292
It's been 4-5 years for me, DUNU the brand I knew is completely transformed I see, The new website is completely changed. I think they got a new place in CA to work with. Cool because direct US Shipping (But it should be free tbh, I'm seeing payment for even 400USD and 300USD IEMs).

I started my IEMs with CX300, Bose, Klipsch S3, IE80, GR07BE, MA750 and ended with DN1000, which I sent to repair to China twice (one was my mistake), and got them back in great condition thanks to Vivian, hope she is still with DUNU. I love these IEMs, my take on these is at the DN1K thread.

I was periodically checking on DUNUs the 3K was in my radar, Big DD and massive Bass response with that solid clarity across spectrum from what I read...but due to budget i dropped add the discomfort too. Where as DN2000 had somewhat refined sound from what I read but more of a sidegrade, esp as per Joker's [THL] gold standard reviews back then and 2KJ was too analytical. The DN1000s Visceral bass is just insane that you can actually feel the Sub bass on par/rivals with IE800/K3003i in terms of Sound quality and excellent build. My next purchase was FLC8D or E5000 due to massive Bass response and clarity without mudding up because the sharp highs on the DN1K were fatiguing due to Knowles BA (yeah since then DUNU used quality BA, hats off, not only that the DD on DN1K is king) despite the end game status. However now I'm into speaker system + my Senns. I spend less time on DN1Ks, but my V30 / iPod 5.5G are always there with me so are the DN1Ks.

I wonder why DUNU is pushing for so many IEMs, back then they had only 1-2, it was super easy now I'm very confused. Also DUNU should keep a webpage on their legacy products too, because that's what they are made of, the journey of Delicate, Unique, Utmost..So yeah now we have a 4 IEMs for DD, 4 IEMs in Hybrid and 1 flagship.

Finally can anyone compare the DN1K's or IE800 / K3003i's vs these new Hybrids DK series - 4001, 3001 Pro, 2001 ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #58 of 292
I wonder why DUNU is pushing for so many IEMs
Because personal audio, especially portafi, has experienced unreal enthusiast demand over the past three years. They, like many other manufacturers, want to have something that is a fit for every level of audio lover and many differing tastes.

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #59 of 292
Will split this post into multiple replies:

It's been 4-5 years for me, DUNU the brand I knew is completely transformed I see, The new website is completely changed. I think they got a new place in CA to work with. Cool because direct US Shipping (But it should be free tbh, I'm seeing payment for even 400USD and 300USD IEMs).

We're looking at refining our shipping options and will post a revamped shipping policy in the new year.

The reason for the current shipping policy is that it is not actually direct US shipping for most items. We keep a few things in our US office, but what we've found is that logistics is easier if we coordinate it with our Shenzhen office (which coordinates all international shipping). And due to the weight and size, shipping costs aren't actually much different. We will look at absorbing shipping costs for certain items over a cost total, for instance $200 US (just a random number), in which we can absorb all costs directly. We are still working things out and looking at various couriers that can help us achieve the lowest shipping cost without compromising on shipping speed and quality. There will be a select few items that we will continue to stock locally, such as cables and some of the smaller items, but for most items, they will be sent from Shenzhen.

In the near future, hopefully during the first half of 2020, we'll be working our way back to Amazon in the US, which will make sales and returns easier for us.

got them back in great condition thanks to Vivian, hope she is still with DUNU. I love these IEMs, my take on these is at the DN1K thread.

Yes, Vivian is very much still a big part of our operations --- she's just not on the Head-Fi side of things these days because it's difficult for her to use VPN all the time. If you still need service with your DN-1000 (or any DUNU product you purchase), Vivian will be the first line of assistance! We now have a handy support form (https://www.dunu-topsound.com/support) that allows us to gather the necessary basic information first, and Vivian will ask for any additional information via e-mail if necessary.

I wonder why DUNU is pushing for so many IEMs, back then they had only 1-2, it was super easy now I'm very confused. Also DUNU should keep a webpage on their legacy products too, because that's what they are made of, the journey of Delicate, Unique, Utmost..So yeah now we have a 4 IEMs for DD, 4 IEMs in Hybrid and 1 flagship.

There are multiple reasons for this, in which @buonassi 's excellent reply is included. The main reason is that our sales in mainland China have taken off over the past few years. We're now among the top five leaders in domestic Chinese sales for enthusiast level personal audio products. Unfortunately, because we concentrated on shoring up the Chinese market, our international service has suffered over the past few years. That's why we're redoubling our efforts to try to rectify this situation. We want to rebuild the close-knit interactions we've had with members here in the past, speed up customer service, time to shipping, and the overall brand experience as a whole. Doing so will take some time. But we're definitely back and, not to toot our own horn, but ever better!

Fortunately, for international enthusiasts, the increased demand in the Chinese market has helped us broaden our portfolio and bring out a more diverse set of features for every kind of audio taste.

Our DM series is an affordable product line, in which we will offer diverse types of sound signatures on a shortened release cycle. We're looking to add to that portfolio with a range of affordable BA-only IEMs soon.

Our DK series will pretty much stay as is for some time, barring mid-cycle refreshes. We think the DK-2001 will be a hybrid that appeals to a diverse range of people because it's a fun little chameleon. (Changes colors, adaptable to different genres of music...). The DK-3001 will be phased out soon, in favor of the DK-3001 PRO, which is designed for longer term listening and just fundamentally sound all-around characteristics. The DK-4001 will undergo a refresh during the second half of next year because its amorphous Zirconium alloy construction is difficult to maintain a consistent production schedule with. We may consider an entry-level DK model, but there haven't been concrete discussions around it.

Similar to the DK-4001, our FALCON-C, because of its metallic glass construction, will be phased out. We'll be looking at a replacement for it, but the timeline is unclear.

On the high end for single dynamics, the 17th Anniversary Limited Edition model is exactly what it is --- a limited run. There will not be any more of these in the future. However, a similar model that we're dubbing 'Zen' at the moment, will use its driver and be re-tuned for a new housing design. LUNA is our flagship --- the very best of what we can offer from our engineering team. We believe its pure beryllium foil and speaker-like driver design will make it a performance benchmark for years to come. Through LUNA, we're looking to unify our design language across product lines, so expect more cohesion between products in the future, from concept to sound to packaging.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #60 of 292
Have to say i really appreciate the very open abd transparent in depth communication dunu is doing here. I'm on the fence of getting one of their DK models. Though the lack of distributors in europe (germany) is holding me back for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back