DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #1,711 of 2,384
Very excited for more info on these. I love my SA6 to death and have been looking for a TOTL upgrade, so these might fit the bill nicely. My only piece of advice/criticism (if you want to call it that) is that the connectors should be recessed in the IEM shell. This is overlooked by too many manufacturers at the moment and it adds more strain to a potential failure point (it's the reason I haven't bitten the bullet on any of 64 Audio's TOTL IEMs).

Yes, this is noted and I will do my best to communicate that to my brand. In fact, it's something I'm working on communicating to all of my clients now to try and make it more industry standard.

@Jack Vang and his team at Empire Ears have some of the best built CIEMs because of how well this specific portion of their builds are done.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,712 of 2,384
Considering the PR disaster of the SA6 Ultra, the community does hope that SA10 and SA16 turns out well. Till today majority still haven't tried the SA6U and that left a sour taste in the branding. But like everything in life people learn from their mistakes and strive to do better in future, which we hope Dunu improves on it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #1,713 of 2,384
Considering the PR disaster of the SA6 Ultra, the community does hope that SA10 and SA16 turns out well. Till today majority still haven't tried the SA6U and that left a sour taste in the branding. But like everything in life people learn from their mistakes and strive to do better in future, which we hope Dunu improves on it.
What kind of PR disaster are you refering to? It was a limited batch like the vernus and announced couple of days before release with the right amount of transparent informations on several social media platforms. I see no mistakes here. First come, first serve. Like other brands does more often than Dunu.

I found the discussion and the harsh criticism afterwards to dunu and representives absolutely inappropriate.
That would be a reason for me as a company not to publish such limited batches anymore. which would be a shame.

Although I can understand Dunu's approach. After all, it is a company that wants and needs to make money.
It should rather be those in a bad mood who now see the SA6U exclusive cable for sale or the supposed SA6 V2 to follow your argumentation.

You can always generate reasons to complain about something.

So, please explain. 🙃✌🏻

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #1,714 of 2,384
Just dropping in to say hi to this thread (Dunu fan since the EST 112), and chill the Dunu SA6 Ultra:

The SA6 Ultra (both blue) is my favourite IEM atm, and I prefer it to most of my trybrids (I have a few, mest mk2 included). Has been my favourite IEM since I received my unit (new from Hifigo). No faults to speak of, always a delight from the moment it touches my ears, excellent fit and build. Coherent, extended, resolving - It is in fact an IEM that makes me wonder if Sonion estats are actually needed, for how good its treble is (layering, balance, resolution, smoothness: all there). I wasn't a big fan of the OG SA6, which I had and compared to the Ultra, since I didn't find it engaging enough for some genres, though it was already very coherent for a BA set.

A shame only 300 units of the Ultra were made, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dunu launches an SA6 mk2 with a similar tuning, and skip the colab fees, down the line. The SA10 and SA16 look very promising, but either they have a trick up their sleeve and improved their EST implementation since the 112 to produce god tier treble levels, or they will have though competition from the SA6 Ultra with its non-assuming 6 BAs (would that be the reason not to reissue the Ultras?). Anyway, I'm very impressed with what BAs can accomplish in the treble department.

P.S. not knocking on the EST 112, it is a misunderstood IEM in my view, its appeal deriving from its big dynamic driver, warm sound and crunchy mids, ESTs being almost redundant in that package.

EDIT: Just as I finished typing this, I noticed that a Dunu SA6 mk2 is already in the works!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,716 of 2,384
B2E5AE54-7977-4657-85DA-C6497318254E.jpeg

5DF51439-BCDD-4EDE-ADDA-56AACB29EBC0.jpeg

92B7AB61-6752-4E0A-9EB7-E65C8801F2F7.jpeg

4FDF9993-9937-481D-B080-DC47464DC6BE.jpeg

We are pleased to announce a first look at the next addition to the Studio line coming later this year, the SA16 - a 12 BA + 4 EST model that will fill the TOTL spot.

Additionally, we will be releasing the SA10, the 6 BA + 4 EST Model sometime in the new year. We are unsure if it will come before or after the SA16.

Please note, these shells and faceplates are very early prototypes that are subject to change. The tuning is as well, as we are building these with direct feedback.

Hey, new models from the SA line! A welcome surprise indeed. Looking forward for more details.

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #1,718 of 2,384
What kind of PR disaster are you refering to? It was a limited batch like the vernus and announced couple of days before release with the right amount of transparent informations on several social media platforms. I see no mistakes here. First come, first serve. Like other brands does more often than Dunu.

I found the discussion and the harsh criticism afterwards to dunu and representives absolutely inappropriate.
That would be a reason for me as a company not to publish such limited batches anymore. which would be a shame.

Although I can understand Dunu's approach. After all, it is a company that wants and needs to make money.
It should rather be those in a bad mood who now see the SA6U exclusive cable for sale or the supposed SA6 V2 to follow your argumentation.

You can always generate reasons to complain about something.

So, please explain. 🙃✌🏻

Thank you. The complaints have also been noted previously and we are taking it into account for the year ahead.

Just dropping in to say hi to this thread (Dunu fan since the EST 112), and chill the Dunu SA6 Ultra:

The SA6 Ultra (both blue) is my favourite IEM atm, and I prefer it to most of my trybrids (I have a few, mest mk2 included). Has been my favourite IEM since I received my unit (new from Hifigo). No faults to speak of, always a delight from the moment it touches my ears, excellent fit and build. Coherent, extended, resolving - It is in fact an IEM that makes me wonder if Sonion estats are actually needed, for how good its treble is (layering, balance, resolution, smoothness: all there). I wasn't a big fan of the OG SA6, which I had and compared to the Ultra, since I didn't find it engaging enough for some genres, though it was already very coherent for a BA set.

A shame only 300 units of the Ultra were made, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dunu launches an SA6 mk2 with a similar tuning, and skip the colab fees, down the line. The SA10 and SA16 look very promising, but either they have a trick up their sleeve and improved their EST implementation since the 112 to produce god tier treble levels, or they will have though competition from the SA6 Ultra with its non-assuming 6 BAs (would that be the reason not to reissue the Ultras?). Anyway, I'm very impressed with what BAs can accomplish in the treble department.

P.S. not knocking on the EST 112, it is a misunderstood IEM in my view, its appeal deriving from its big dynamic driver, warm sound and crunchy mids, ESTs being almost redundant in that package.

EDIT: Just as I finished typing this, I noticed that a Dunu SA6 mk2 is already in the works!

It is indeed, but in very early stages. Not much we can say officially on that end yet. Keep your eyes peeled!

Hey, new models from the SA line! A welcome surprise indeed. Looking forward for more details.

We are too.

And the answer to the 6 and 4 riddle presented earlier in this thread. :) (SA10).

Riddle me this!

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,719 of 2,384
To add to the EU availability discussion a few pages back, I'm also hoping that DUNU will have an EU distributor in the future.
I'm interested in buying one of the upcoming models, but I'd much prefer to buy from a local dealer than import it from abroad due to various issues my country has with international shipping.

A local shop here, Wifimedia, already carries FiiO and Kinera products since quite some time, and recently they started offering Moondrop products as well, which was a very welcome surprise since the latter had the same availability problem before that. Since then, their stock of the latter is almost always sold out, so demand for those IEMs is definitely there.

@Sebastien Chiu : maybe it's an idea to contact them and inquire if they could carry DUNU products as well?
Another option would be to offer your products on Amazon via an EU warehouse.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,720 of 2,384
To add to the EU availability discussion a few pages back, I'm also hoping that DUNU will have an EU distributor in the future.
I'm interested in buying one of the upcoming models, but I'd much prefer to buy from a local dealer than import it from abroad due to various issues my country has with international shipping.

A local shop here, Wifimedia, already carries FiiO and Kinera products since quite some time, and recently they started offering Moondrop products as well, which was a very welcome surprise since the latter had the same availability problem before that. Since then, their stock of the latter is almost always sold out, so demand for those IEMs is definitely there.

@Sebastien Chiu : maybe it's an idea to contact them and inquire if they could carry DUNU products as well?
Another option would be to offer your products on Amazon via an EU warehouse.

What I’ve been saying. Thank you, Sir.

Same situation here. Absolute Sound & Vision in Lisbon sells Fiio, iFi, Meze, Hifiman and many other hi-fi brands. They’re website also shows Campfire Audio but I’ve never seen any product, I guess it’s “on order”. Very few companies here hold stock of whatever.

Most Asian or American brands are nowhere to be found. Amazon and EU DISTRIBUTORS are the sole chance of: getting low or free shipping costs, no tax or service fees involved, easy returns or warranty claims. Sure enough, nowadays, online stores (outside EU, mostly Asian) provide for free shipping and no tax but, from what I’ve read from others experiences, returns and warranty claims aren’t that easy or problems arise. After Brexit, most bigger UK companies were forced to open warehouses in the EU just to be able to combat drastically declining sales.

So, it’s not me being stubborn, it’s just how the market works. There are workarounds but they’re not seamless. And there’s nothing worse, for me at least, than having a potentially problematic customer experience with a product I’ve been saving up for months to be able to get.
Anyway... I’ll live. Life’s good. And listening to music through quality devices is bliss. Cheers.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,721 of 2,384

We are pleased to announce a first look at the next addition to the Studio line coming later this year, the SA16 - a 12 BA + 4 EST model that will fill the TOTL spot.

Additionally, we will be releasing the SA10, the 6 BA + 4 EST Model sometime in the new year. We are unsure if it will come before or after the SA16.

Please note, these shells and faceplates are very early prototypes that are subject to change. The tuning is as well, as we are building these with direct feedback.
SA16 is interesting.
SA6 certainly deserves a good spot among qdc family tuning, I’m also the one felt DUNU supposed not to engaged in “limited“ sales tactics especially for their full-BA flagship product SA6.

Hopefully this time SA10/16 stands on their own feet, not like recent reviewer channel collaboration styled sales promotion that I personally feel “DUNU your brand name needs tik tockers or someone to back up? No confidence in own tuning? Does Mercedes ever had collaboration models with Justin Bieber or any hollywood celebrities? “

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,722 of 2,384
Does Mercedes ever had collaboration models with Justin Bieber or any hollywood celebrities
plenty, George Clooney, The Weekend, Will.I.Am., to name a few :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,723 of 2,384
plenty, George Clooney, The Weekend, Will.I.Am., to name a few :)
Oh ok. I may change subject to Top Gear and Grand Tour, the car review big names to be more appropriate examples.

Any Car reviewer collaboration with actual high-brands? The relationship of them is a better fit,

Notable reviewers provide consumer advice to general public, and makers publish/produce consumer goods.

At least to my own impression, makers slapping names of reviewers on their product does not impress a positive one.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,724 of 2,384
A local shop here, Wifimedia, already carries FiiO and Kinera products since quite some time, and recently they started offering Moondrop products as well,

Fiio is everywhere, but Kinera and Moondrop? Someone at your local shop is deep in the IEM addiction :dt880smile: Lucky you. My local store does carry Dunu, but it takes a long time for new releases from Dunu to be available here. But the general consensus at my local store is “Dunu good.” They put SA6 and Zen on display next to U18s.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,725 of 2,384
I had been eyeing the SA6 but was hoping for a refresh before I picked up a pair. Now wondering if I should start saving for the SA10 instead. 😉 Anyone have a feel for the timing between announcement and availability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back