DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #721 of 2,381
I am highly, highly impressed with the speed / tactility of the Titan S driver. I find it more clean than even something like the Moondrop Kato. The dip in the upper mids makes percussion (and higher register vocals) sound effortless without losing any resolution. Imaging is respectable - something that I usually don't see under $200. The build quality of this set puts it over the top for me.

20A093E7-5209-40C1-83D4-595AFA03D805_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #722 of 2,381
I am highly, highly impressed with the speed / tactility of the Titan S driver. I find it more clean than even something like the Moondrop Kato. The dip in the upper mids makes percussion (and higher register vocals) sound effortless without losing any resolution. Imaging is respectable - something that I usually don't see under $200. The build quality of this set puts it over the top for me.

20A093E7-5209-40C1-83D4-595AFA03D805_1_201_a.jpeg
I actually like that more companies are putting a small dip there. I don't find i miss any information, and that is the area that murders my ears anyhow. It is a refreshing change from the shrill ess that has become the norm. And besides, it makes companies actually have to tune the highs properly for them to sound right rather than use that area for perceived clarity IMO.

Fantastic news!

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #723 of 2,381
Anyone can compare the soundstage/presentation of Vulkan vs UM bone conduction?

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #724 of 2,381
Anyone can compare the soundstage/presentation of Vulkan vs UM bone conduction?
I am not sure if my comparison will be relevant for you since you have the MEXT. My comparison is with the MEST Indigo and the Indigo is wider and deeper. That is not to say that the Vulkan is narrow but I don't think it is a fair comparison.

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #725 of 2,381
I am not sure if my comparison will be relevant for you since you have the MEXT. My comparison is with the MEST Indigo and the Indigo is wider and deeper. That is not to say that the Vulkan is narrow but I don't think it is a fair comparison.
Does it have that feeling of "grandeur" in its presentation? Like do you feel like you're in a concert hall?

I know it's an unfair question because think part of the experience with my MEXT is because of the tuning (lots of low end energy and low treble as well) + bone conduction driver. But I'm selling mine and looking for a cheaper temporary solution for that experience. It's such an addictive feeling

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #726 of 2,381
Does it have that feeling of "grandeur" in its presentation? Like do you feel like you're in a concert hall?

I know it's an unfair question because think part of the experience with my MEXT is because of the tuning (lots of low end energy and low treble as well) + bone conduction driver. But I'm selling mine and looking for a cheaper temporary solution for that experience. It's such an addictive feeling
The "grandeur" that you describe is what makes the MEST/MEXT special. The Vulcan does not do that for me. I am not saying that the soundstage is small on the Vulcan. It does have a wide soundstage. It just does not have the feeling of "grandeur" you are looking for.

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #727 of 2,381
The "grandeur" that you describe is what makes the MEST/MEXT special. The Vulcan does not do that for me. I am not saying that the soundstage is small on the Vulcan. It does have a wide soundstage. It just does not have the feeling of "grandeur" you are looking for.
Ah I guess I'll have to cope with not having it for a while.😔
Hopefully another brand can pick up the bone conduction tech and drive the price down🙏

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #728 of 2,381
Ah I guess I'll have to cope with not having it for a while.😔
Hopefully another brand can pick up the bone conduction tech and drive the price down🙏
How about the MEST mini?

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #729 of 2,381
How about the MEST mini?
My local audio shop don't sell them, at least not at a reasonable price. Aside from that, I know nothing about the IEM.

Right now I'm researching about SA6, which was the $500 benchmark until Variations appeared

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #731 of 2,381
Right now I'm researching about SA6, which was the $500 benchmark until Variations appeared

It's a beautiful looking and beautiful sounding IEM for sure. The only thing I don't like about it is the soundstage and imaging. However, I'm kind of a soundstage fanatic who leans toward tuning tricks and semi-open designs. I saw a review by a drummer recently who found that SA6 soundstage is enough for stage use.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #732 of 2,381
It's a beautiful looking and beautiful sounding IEM for sure. The only thing I don't like about it is the soundstage and imaging. However, I'm kind of a soundstage fanatic who leans toward tuning tricks and semi-open designs. I saw a review by a drummer recently who found that SA6 soundstage is enough for stage use.

My soundstage expectations for IEMs is always low. I found even the Andromeda 2020 to not be that amazing. Open back headphones and near-field monitors have spoiled me big time

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #733 of 2,381
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #734 of 2,381
I found even the Andromeda 2020 to not be that amazing.
Unpopular opinion: Andromeda does not have largest soundstage. It’s what it does with that illusion space matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back