DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #991 of 2,478
All I need is Luna II one day.
Always wanted to try that one, sadly it was out of my budget while it was available. Haven't seen them up for sale in any of the classifieds in a loooong time.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #992 of 2,478
Always wanted to try that one, sadly it was out of my budget while it was available. Haven't seen them up for sale in any of the classifieds in a loooong time.
They were very mid focused and definitely not for everyone. I think that is the only mid focused IEM I've ever enjoyed and I wish I would of bought one back then.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #993 of 2,478
Throwback to the Dunu Luna. One of the few pure Beryllium-foil IEMs. The tuning worked exceptionally well with rock and metal. One of the most detailed single-DD IEMs ever made IMO.

IMG_7259.JPG

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #994 of 2,478
Throwback to the Dunu Luna. One of the few pure Beryllium-foil IEMs. The tuning worked exceptionally well with rock and metal. One of the most detailed single-DD IEMs ever made IMO.

I was interested in luna too for metal, but read in many reviews that can be a bit too bright sometimes or isn't it?

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #995 of 2,478
I was interested in luna too for metal, but read in many reviews that can be a bit too bright sometimes or isn't it?
It was intense at times, but never harsh or sibilant or... overly bright.

It's ironic because a lot of the IEMs those reviews "praise" have way too much upper-treble for my taste, as they make cymbal hits more shimmery than physical. As a result, the resonance is highlighted whereas the initial hit is dampened, resulting in an ethereal representation of drums which is not realistic at all.

Either way, Luna was extremely source and tip dependent, and took on three different tonal characters on three different sources I had back then. Neither of them made them sound bright though, so there is that.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #996 of 2,478
As long as you have a right fit, they are fine. One of my most comfortable IEMs. I use AzlaSednaLight Short tips on mine. They need burn in, and if you do not hear good bass, the fit is not correct. It is actually superior to many higher priced IEMs in my opinion and great for vocals. I have preferred it to the Elysium for example on a number of tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #997 of 2,478
I need some feedback from the group. I recently purchased the Talos. I noticed in Planar I get vocals more upfront. Is that what others appear to be getting? I am comparing these to my SA6's. Bass is not very heavy but neither are the SA6's. I notice that while listening with the Talos I also hear some finer details that I necessarily did not hear before. Listening to Glenn Frey right now and I hear the vocals up close and the instruments more in the background. I have not tried these in hybrid yet since I really want to get a better listening of these in Planar mode before switching. Soundstage also appears a bit smaller than the SA6's. Not sure if I am right with this but my impression.
I also wonder if changing the cable will have any impact.
Well, would love to hear others and what they have experienced so far.
J

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #998 of 2,478
It was intense at times, but never harsh or sibilant or... overly bright.

It's ironic because a lot of the IEMs those reviews "praise" have way too much upper-treble for my taste, as they make cymbal hits more shimmery than physical. As a result, the resonance is highlighted whereas the initial hit is dampened, resulting in an ethereal representation of drums which is not realistic at all.

Either way, Luna was extremely source and tip dependent, and took on three different tonal characters on three different sources I had back then. Neither of them made them sound bright though, so there is that.

As long as you have a right fit, they are fine. One of my most comfortable IEMs. I use AzlaSednaLight Short tips on mine. They need burn in, and if you do not hear good bass, the fit is not correct. It is actually superior to many higher priced IEMs in my opinion and great for vocals. I have preferred it to the Elysium for example on a number of tracks.
Great to hear, I take the opportunity to ask also about mids, are neutral or with a bit of warm and colouration?

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #999 of 2,478
Great to hear, I take the opportunity to ask also about mids, are neutral or with a bit of warm and colouration?
The slightly brighter side of neutral. Now, the Luna is also lighter as well which allows it to make some bad vocal recordings listenable, but still detailed in its presentation. And when the bass gets going it can hammer. It needs some juice though. But it is in no way a dark presentation. For that you would need to look elsewhere.

The below link should take you to a review I did of it in comparison to two other IEMs.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#review-24019

Oct 4, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,000 of 2,478
The slightly brighter side of neutral. Now, the Luna is also lighter as well which allows it to make some bad vocal recordings listenable, but still detailed in its presentation. And when the bass gets going it can hammer. It needs some juice though. But it is in no way a dark presentation. For that you would need to look elsewhere.

The below link should take you to a review I did of it in comparison to two other IEMs.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#review-24019
Thanks! Very useful

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,001 of 2,478
I need some feedback from the group. I recently purchased the Talos. I noticed in Planar I get vocals more upfront. Is that what others appear to be getting? I am comparing these to my SA6's. Bass is not very heavy but neither are the SA6's. I notice that while listening with the Talos I also hear some finer details that I necessarily did not hear before. Listening to Glenn Frey right now and I hear the vocals up close and the instruments more in the background. I have not tried these in hybrid yet since I really want to get a better listening of these in Planar mode before switching. Soundstage also appears a bit smaller than the SA6's. Not sure if I am right with this but my impression.
I also wonder if changing the cable will have any impact.
Well, would love to hear others and what they have experienced so far.
J
I used CP100+ tips which definitely boosted the bass and improved the overall signature for my preferences. I also changed the cable to the DUW-02S 4.4mm these really sound amazing with more power

Oct 6, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,002 of 2,478
A further note on the Talos after 60 hours burn in these wonderful iems open right up the bass is more authoritive with deep reach and slam in pure Planar mode they rock. On the right albums the ba mode adds a little magic on the wrong albums its a touch intense so worth experimenting. Switched to the black silicon tips included in the box very nice. Definitely the best tuned planar I've heard, I own the Timeless, S12, P1, GL12 and Hook X.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #1,003 of 2,478
I’ve had a few days to listen to a couple of new IEMs, make that 3, the BA switch makes a huge difference. I haven’t bothered with any IEM with “switchable” tuning either with different bore sizes, etc… Simple iPhone - Go blu setup, BA mode on, with a myriad mix of some of my fav and also some random tracks, music straight up is brought to a new level with BA mode. Keep in mind I immediately threw on an all copper stock cable from Kinda Lava and my standard tips typically I start off with on shells this size for the correct depth. And BT will compress some data at the top and bottom end of the spectrum. And planar mode is no slouch either, crisp but not extra crispy. Great for the casual listen. Going to Sony WM2A, pure planar sounds and scales great. Best I can explain BA mode is burnt to a crisp. Might work on some tracks and won’t on most others. These switches on the Talos are great and I’m glad Dunu made them available in this config and definitely are a value+, has a better WOW factor than the Hook-X (although my gear ain’t the best for that set, and are just as comfortable as the S12 is for me, which says a lot.

Attachments

• ED64C2CA-0FA4-49E1-A5DC-7D0BCE583A75.jpeg
    ED64C2CA-0FA4-49E1-A5DC-7D0BCE583A75.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 209DC034-EA1B-400C-8AE4-44175EFD1B7F.jpeg
    209DC034-EA1B-400C-8AE4-44175EFD1B7F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,005 of 2,478
I received my Talos today and I'm pleased with it so far, the level of detail is just as expected - that of a very well-tuned planar. The bass in these things is amazing too. Not overtly pronounced or too little for my personal taste. I hope my enjoyment goes far beyond the honeymoon phased that I'm currently experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back