DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #933 of 2,386
I had a chance to listen to the Talos at CanJam and finally had a chance to gather my notes and thoughts. I'll say that my overall impression was good.

In pure planar mode: I thought the sound was quite balanced. It has the Dunu house sound which is sort of a mild V. Hint of warmth and maybe a sense that the treble is a tiny bit rolled off. But I found it really nice and engaging sounding.

In hybrid BA mode: I found that it did appear to add some extension and air in the top end. But it altered the freq response, scooping out the mid making them sound a bit recessed. For that reason, I didn't care for BA mode and spent most of my time in planar mode. I didn't find BA mode sounding harsh or bright however, but it did make them sound less coherent. I didn't think adding BA drivers were necessary tbh.

Technicalities I find that it is comparable to the Timeless. And I'd recommend the Talos as an alternative to the infamous Timeless if you want a different sound signature. Especially if you're familiar with and like the Dunu sound.

Personally, I think the original P1 has the better technicalities over both Timeless and Talos but is difficult to drive and doesn't have as balanced FR. Leaning towards the bright end when underpowered. I'll also note that the Talos requires a bit more juice than the Timeless. I often need to be in high gain when driving them.

I think I do prefer the Talos over the Timeless just because I feel it's more engaging. But it's very close.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #934 of 2,386
I had a chance to listen to the Talos at CanJam and finally had a chance to gather my notes and thoughts. I'll say that my overall impression was good.

In pure planar mode: I thought the sound was quite balanced. It has the Dunu house sound which is sort of a mild V. Hint of warmth and maybe a sense that the treble is a tiny bit rolled off. But I found it really nice and engaging sounding.

In hybrid BA mode: I found that it did appear to add some extension and air in the top end. But it altered the freq response, scooping out the mid making them sound a bit recessed. For that reason, I didn't care for BA mode and spent most of my time in planar mode. I didn't find BA mode sounding harsh or bright however, but it did make them sound less coherent. I didn't think adding BA drivers were necessary tbh.

Technicalities I find that it is comparable to the Timeless. And I'd recommend the Talos as an alternative to the infamous Timeless if you want a different sound signature. Especially if you're familiar with and like the Dunu sound.

Personally, I think the original P1 has the better technicalities over both Timeless and Talos but is difficult to drive and doesn't have as balanced FR. Leaning towards the bright end when underpowered. I'll also note that the Talos requires a bit more juice than the Timeless. I often need to be in high gain when driving them.

I think I do prefer the Talos over the Timeless just because I feel it's more engaging. But it's very close.
Thanks so much for your in-depth impressions and adding in the P1 (I still have and adore them) to the mix! I had a hard time believing that they would sound as bad as the graph makes them look (BA on or off) in the pina gain. I am used to the DUNU house sound where it IS boosted a bit, but this one looked like it was going to be too much and affect the overall tonality (to the negative).

So, you think they are harder to drive than the Timeless, but easier than the P1? I guess I don't worry about how hard the P1 are to drive anymore (since getting the DX160, and DX300), but I have to mind that fact when using less powerful DAPs still (Shanling M0 for instance).

I may have to give these a try.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #935 of 2,386
Thanks so much for your in-depth impressions and adding in the P1 (I still have and adore them) to the mix! I had a hard time believing that they would sound as bad as the graph makes them look (BA on or off) in the pina gain. I am used to the DUNU house sound where it IS boosted a bit, but this one looked like it was going to be too much and affect the overall tonality (to the negative).

So, you think they are harder to drive than the Timeless, but easier than the P1? I guess I don't worry about how hard the P1 are to drive anymore (since getting the DX160, and DX300), but I have to mind that fact when using less powerful DAPs still (Shanling M0 for instance).

I heard someone wanted to know how hard you can drive the Tin Hifi P1:

These things can take a full 3BST Bryston Poweramp. Mwuhahahaaa....

The bass sounds of the P1 so "bouncy" oh this setup; it is very interesting.

20220727_235948-1.jpg

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #936 of 2,386
I heard someone wanted to know how hard you can drive the Tin Hifi P1:

These things can take a full 3BST Bryston Poweramp. Mwuhahahaaa....

The bass sounds of the P1 so "bouncy" oh this setup; it is very interesting.

20220727_235948-1.jpg
Very nice!

I feed them a good 2W and they sing very nicely for me also. :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #937 of 2,386

Yeah I still have love for the P1 even though it doesn't get much attention nowadays with all these new planar releases. It's still the OG planar IEM that was ahead of it's time.

I don't think the Talos is that hard to drive at all but just not as efficient as the Timeless. Timeless you could plug into your phone and it would sound fine. But the Talos would definitely need a amp.

On the EF400, I have the dial at 12 on 4.4 balanced with the P1 whereas other IEMs I can't even get past 8. 😂

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #938 of 2,386
Yeah I still have love for the P1 even though it doesn't get much attention nowadays with all these new planar releases. It's still the OG planar IEM that was ahead of it's time.

I don't think the Talos is that hard to drive at all but just not as efficient as the Timeless. Timeless you could plug into your phone and it would sound fine. But the Talos would definitely need a amp.
I couldn't have said it better myself, though mine do still get put into my rotation (just not as much as my other planars these days). Though the Hook-X is getting the most attention most days for me.

That is good to know but isn't a bad thing in any way for me. Since getting some good DAPs, I don't use my phone for any music playback except for TWS or BT headphones (which doesn't matter either way).

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #939 of 2,386
Edit:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #941 of 2,386
Sorry for the weird question, SA4 news has been pretty quiet. Is it sold outside of China?
Not yet, which is kind of weird. I've inquired about that a few months ago and got the answer that they don't have a global release date for it. yet in those few moths they've released 2 new IEM's (Vulkan, Talos), a new color for a older IEM (silver Titan S) and there is a leak of another IEM (KIMA)... DUNU, what's the hold up here? (If it's the availability of drivers or resin I'm going to press (X) to doubt as other producers don't seem to have these issues)

The planned slight re-tune should cost less time to implement than introducing 3 new IEM's. Hell I'd probably be fine with the Chinese version as I'm a treble head and they usually have a brighter tune for domestic vs global which are usually warmer. I get wanting to join the planar bandwagon while it's part of the hype train but don't neglect other parts of your roadmap for it. If the re-tune is not going to happen any time soon, make the current domestic one available for us. It's been for sale on the domestic market for over 5 months now and we've been waiting long enough for it.

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #942 of 2,386
Not yet, which is kind of weird. I've inquired about that a few months ago and got the answer that they don't have a global release date for it. yet in those few moths they've released 2 new IEM's (Vulkan, Talos), a new color for a older IEM (silver Titan S) and there is a leak of another IEM (KIMA)... DUNU, what's the hold up here? (If it's the availability of drivers or resin I'm going to press (X) to doubt as other producers don't seem to have these issues)

The planned slight re-tune should cost less time to implement than introducing 3 new IEM's. Hell I'd probably be fine with the Chinese version as I'm a treble head and they usually have a brighter tune for domestic vs global which are usually warmer. I get wanting to join the planar bandwagon while it's part of the hype train but don't neglect other parts of your roadmap for it. If the re-tune is not going to happen any time soon, make the current domestic one available for us. It's been for sale on the domestic market for over 5 months now and we've been waiting long enough for it.
Thanks. I rarely follow the news. Maybe I would have tried Vulkan, Talos before SA4. :smile:

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #943 of 2,386
Sorry for the weird question, SA4 news has been pretty quiet. Is it sold outside of China?
I don't see any dealers in my country yet. How is it compared to SA6? Thank you. :slight_smile:

I’m going to be like that guy sitting next to you two and talking, yet I know nothing. This type of response could almost come from a stranger sitting next to you in a bar, only knowing a little about IEMs. I’m guessing that DUNU finds the two latest releases (Vulkan, Talos) as super exciting and looks at the SA4 as a style of fill-in model. While probably very good and super well tuned, it’s kinda conservative in regards to the (Vulkan, Talos). But also “maybe” the Chinese market is more in-line for such an SA4 IEM? Where they simply want a certain level of replay and no surprises, thus conservative. Where these last two have been maybe a little wild. But note too, the (Vulkan, Talos) are almost opposite. Opposite of each other and experimental!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #944 of 2,386
I’m going to be like that guy sitting next to you two and talking, yet I know nothing. This type of response could almost come from a stranger sitting next to you in a bar, only knowing a little about IEMs. I’m guessing that DUNU finds the two latest releases (Vulkan, Talos) as super exciting and looks at the SA4 as a style of fill-in model. While probably very good and super well tuned, it’s kinda conservative in regards to the (Vulkan, Talos). But also “maybe” the Chinese market is more in-line for such an SA4 IEM? Where they simply want a certain level of replay and no surprises, thus conservative. Where these last two have been maybe a little wild. But note too, the (Vulkan, Talos) are almost opposite. Opposite of each other and experimental!

You make a lot of sense. Given limited resources, focusing on two brand new designs seems to be more beneficial in both market performance and organisational learning than focusing on a budget version of a previous IEM. With that being said, I’m still waiting for the SA4. The fit and isolation of SA line is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back