DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #616 of 2,524
Hats off, I figured from your recs your taste of music is incredibly close to mine.

Big fan of Biosphere - Substrata in my top 10 ambient albums. Actually, have you heard this? - one I'd file next to Substrata... stunning album.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #617 of 2,524
Big fan of Biosphere - Substrata in my top 10 ambient albums. Actually, have you heard this? - one I'd file next to Substrata... stunning album.

:gs1000smile:Akschually,Biosphere (Geir Jenssen) is my most listened to artist according to my last.fm scrobbles. Well there would be Nazareth, Journey and Deep Purple next to him - pre internet. My scrobbling started in 2005. Biosphere is phenomenal. I love Steve Roach also, but Geir is in a different league. Unfortunately I find the newer stuff meh.
Tl;dr Everything Biosphere pre N-Plants is golden.

Oh and surely I will listen to your recs these are always worthwhile!

BTW: I highly recommend the Pete Namlook & Lorenzo Montana Labyrinth series. It's incredibly good. RIP Pete Namlook (Peter Kuhlmann). :peace:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #618 of 2,524
Great, noted, and will do!

What's your preferred sound signature and what kind of music do you listen to? Are you looking for more of a contrast of sounds with your next purchase?
Rock, light rock, instrumental and some hard rock. I want something with a bit more base. I would like more contrast so I don’t end up with all iem’s sounding the same. I’m torn between the vulkan, the penon serial and the dunu falcon pro… something to give me a fuller sound, more base than the sa6

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #619 of 2,524
:gs1000smile:Akschually,Biosphere (Geir Jenssen) is my most listened to artist according to my last.fm scrobbles. Well there would be Nazareth, Journey and Deep Purple next to him - pre internet. My scrobbling started in 2005. Biosphere is phenomenal. I love Steve Roach also, but Geir is in a different league. Unfortunately I find the newer stuff meh.
Tl;dr Everything Biosphere pre N-Plants is golden.

Oh and surely I will listen to your recs these are always worthwhile!

Yeah I've not enjoyed his more recent stuff as much either - early much better... although his latest 'Shortwave Memories' is actually very good, a bit of a return to his more ambient techno from the early 90s first two albums.

Steve Roach is indeed fantastic also.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #620 of 2,524
Yeah I've not enjoyed his more recent stuff as much either - early much better... although his latest 'Shortwave Memories' is actually very good, a bit of a return to his more ambient techno from the early 90s first two albums.

Steve Roach is indeed fantastic also.
Steve Roach is a genious. His best work to date is Sigh of Ages. This album is sublime.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #621 of 2,524
BTW: I highly recommend the Pete Namlook & Lorenzo Montana Labyrinth series. It's incredibly good. RIP Pete Namlook (Peter Kuhlmann). :peace:

Yes big fan of Fax, such a huge loss when he passed away. I only actually have the first in the Labyrinth series, must grab the others as all on Bandcamp now. Lorenzo a fantastic solo artist too, love his work.

I've many favourites on Fax but the Namlook/Hawtin collabs up there with the best - the first track I listened to when he passed away was this absolute epic gem...

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #622 of 2,524
This track rocks
Yes big fan of Fax, such a huge loss when he passed away. I only actually have the first in the Labyrinth series, must grab the others as all on Bandcamp now. Lorenzo a fantastic solo artist too, love his work.

I've many favourites on Fax but the Namlook/Hawtin collabs up there with the best - the first track I listened to when he passed away was this absolute epic gem...

From a sound quality perspective the following albums (after album 1) only get better. I ordered all the original CDs back then. The CD packs inluded 2 CDs one for DTS
Audio and one for standard CD players. I had no clue how to make the DTS version work. I guess Pete was too ahead of his time.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #623 of 2,524

Oh my gerd this must be the best collaboration ever. Richie never ever got up to quality after this again. From Within 1 - 3 is and will be my best ever EDM record in all of history.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #624 of 2,524
This track rocks

From a sound quality perspective the following albums (after album 1) only get better. I ordered all the original CDs back then. The CD packs inluded 2 CDs one for DTS
Audio and one for standard CD players. I had no clue how to make the DTS version work. I guess Pete was too ahead of his time.

Yes I have a few others with the DTS disc, played them on my 5.1 system back then - mostly Namlook/Moufang collabs, another amazing duo - and of course Moufang is incredible solo... this being an absolute classic, I was delighted to get the vinyl reissue a couple of years ago - had the CD a long time before that.

Jun 24, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #625 of 2,524
Oh my gerd this must be the best collaboration ever. Richie never ever got up to quality after this again. From Within 1 - 3 is and will be my best ever EDM record in all of history.

Agreed, we are certainly on the same page... all 3 are absolutely top notch electronica.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #626 of 2,524
Yes I have a few others with the DTS disc, played them on my 5.1 system back then - mostly Namlook/Moufang collabs, another amazing duo - and of course Moufang is incredible solo... this being an absolute classic, I was delighted to get the vinyl reissue a couple of years ago - had the CD a long time before that.

Agreed, we are certainly on the same page... all 3 are absolutely top notch electronica.
It's a shame because Mr Hawtin is incredibly talented, but he'd never outgrown himself. My dear music friend, I'd recommend Steve Roach - Sigh of Ages for chill out listening. This album is impeccable.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #627 of 2,524
It's a shame because Mr Hawtin is incredibly talented, but he'd never outgrown himself. My dear music friend, I'd recommend Steve Roach - Sigh of Ages for chill out listening. This album is impeccable.

I do think his best work was with others.

I'll definitely buy Sigh of Ages, just added to my Bandcamp wishlist. He has so many and I've only a few really but love what I have, great to explore more on the back of a recommendation!

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #628 of 2,524
I do think his best work was with others.

I'll definitely buy Sigh of Ages, just added to my Bandcamp wishlist. He has so many and I've only a few really but love what I have, great to explore more on the back of a recommendation!
You wont't be dissatisfied. :smile_phones:

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #629 of 2,524
Jun 24, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #630 of 2,524
For purely selfish reasons I'd be very interested in how it compares to your Andromeda, because they probably have some similarities in overall presentation, though I think the Andros will be more resolving, and even more 3d, given their reputation.

When I have my measurement coupler, I will visit my local hifi store to measure some IEMs. If they have Falcon pro in stock, I will do the comparison and let you know. I also guess that Falcon does a good job at stereo imaging with the AI filter. Might be even larger than Andromeda (like fiio open back IEMs sound larger than Andromeda). However, let’s see how resolution contribute to the holographic feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back