DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Jan 9, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,486 of 2,571
Few IEMs captured my imagination more than the famous planar-BA hybrid from Dunu. Finally. Finally. I have laid my hands on Talos. How do they sound? You can find out on head-fi or my blog.

@Sebastien Chiu Talos is indeed a tough nut at 16ohm, 100db.

Thank you for your in-depth review. This is a super unique format that I would love to see more reviewers use, it really helps visual learners like myself.

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,487 of 2,571
Funny thing is I definitely was in the “single-ended is all you really need for an IEM, you don’t need balanced” camp. But my opinion has changed and there are times when more current has made a difference for my experience.

I don’t hold any opinions that tips, sources, cables etc. can’t make a difference to the user experience, whether it’s scientific and measurable or not. I treat balanced/single-ended the same.

Wasn’t about ruffling feathers, or anything. Just a suggestion to try something different if they hadn’t before. Stand down with the pitchforks
As for myself, I will used balanced connections whenvever possible. That and the fact that a lot of my gear is planar which needs the extra current to drive properly. This is coming from a DAP not a/an DAC/amp, which means that generally 3.5mm is normally quite a bit less powerful than balanced. Plus, the crosstalk factor does come into play when you have revealing head gear. Balanced also takes care of that issue.

Having said that, I have a tube amp card for my DAP that is 3.5mm SE only, and I really love it a lot. It was implemented VERY well.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,488 of 2,571
Did someone say they wanted a KIMA giveaway? Wait sorry? You said you wanted us to give away more than one KIMA?

Hmm...

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #1,489 of 2,571
Kima is on the wishlist for 2023, loving my SA6. Become the perfect reference IEM for me.

Big question that probably not going to get a answer, will there ever be a SA6 ultra again?

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,490 of 2,571
Big question that probably not going to get a answer, will there ever be a SA6 ultra again?
I wish they would. It would be awesome if more people could hear it. Even if they had to build them to order with a longer shipping time like they did for the 300 units, I think most would be okay with it.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,491 of 2,571
I wish they would. It would be awesome if more people could hear it. Even if they had to build them to order with a longer shipping time like they did for the 300 units, I think most would be okay with it.
+1 here
Agreed!

Honestly, I didn't even bother reading reviews because I knew I would never have a set. And, since I am not an early adopter (I normally wait until a reviewer that has a similar preferred sound signature gives a favorable review at least), I knew I would never have a chance to get a set. :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,492 of 2,571
Kima is on the wishlist for 2023, loving my SA6. Become the perfect reference IEM for me.

+1 here
Agreed!

Honestly, I didn't even bother reading reviews because I knew I would never have a set. And, since I am not an early adopter (I normally wait until a reviewer that has a similar preferred sound signature gives a favorable review at least), I knew I would never have a chance to get a set. :)

There will be no more SA6 Ultras.

Limited means limited for us :)

You can always find one in the classifieds if you want one.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,493 of 2,571
There will be no more SA6 Ultras.

Limited means limited for us :)

You can always find one in the classifieds if you want one.
Good Dunu is true to the limited part, let's just hope for another good release down the line👍

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,495 of 2,571
Jan 11, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,497 of 2,571
Not exactly, but you can expect a few very exciting releases this year!
Oho, maybe we can start to speculate/present a wish list? I'll start:

1) The DUNU ZEN PRO is a fastastic single DD set that more people need to listen to. ECLIPSƎ is a marketing term for sure but I've been impressed with both the ZEN PRO and the FALCON PRO, and offering a slightly different tonality from all the FOTMs is getting more and more attractive by the day. But I need to see a different diaphragm material chosen now. The LUNA was an excellent proof of concept with its pure Be foil but was hard to manufacture in quantities to justify a lower price tag. It's treble response wasn't great either, and even the improved ZEN PRO is somewhat lacking there. I want to see a stiffer and more responsive diaphragm that goes away from DLC/ADLC on mylar to old school metal alloys. iKKO just released an Li-Mg alloy diaphragm single DD that's.. interesting tonality wise but it sure thumps hard. I want to see what DUNU can do with this newer-gen alloy that's only just getting to the IEM market paired with the independent surround of ECLIPSƎ. Ideally with better treble extension too, and this could be my favorite single DD IEM ever.

2) Hybrids! SA6 and SA6 Ultra showed there's clearly demand for them and DUNU isn't dumb to see all the requests for more SA6 Ultras. Surely there's something cooking up but the last year has shown some excellent all-BA sets from micro-brands that frankly would be very hard to compete against for a larger brand unless they get serious. In the meantime, I have had overall better experience with hybrids than all-BA sets and there are some fascinating driver types that can be put together. Why just do DD + BA that everyone else does? What about DD + EST or DD + Planar where the DD handles most the frequency range and the EST/planar is a tweeter? On that note I can even see a BA + EST set doing well based on some prototypes I've heard from a few brands wherein you'd need to have proper sub-woofers for the sub-bass and mid-bass in addition to the mids. This formula would necessitate a relatively large number of BA drivers though (4-6 at least) on top of the ESTs for the treble extension.

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,498 of 2,571
Hybrids! SA6 and SA6 Ultra showed there's clearly demand for them ...
DN & DK series were hybrid. SA are all BA from my understanding

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,499 of 2,571
I am constantly looking for a BA+EST only. Hope there will be one getting release this year!

Jan 11, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,500 of 2,571

Users who are viewing this thread

Back