Dual Purpose Headphones for Video Monitoring and Listening to Music on the Road
Aug 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mbritt

100+ Head-Fier

[size=medium]
I am writing a book about filmmaking with HDSLR cameras and could use some help from the hive mind here at Head-fi.  The book's target audience is photographer filmmakers who like their toys, I mean tools.  Now that DSLR cameras shoot HD video, a lot of them are working in motion.  In the audio section, I would like to list top three choices in compact phones, full size mid priced phones, and a money is no object phones.  Photographers and videographers often travel and have a lot of down time to listen to music so I'm really looking for a dual purpose solution that sounds good listening un-amped on an iPod and monitoring audio recording on location plugged into a video camera or external recorder.

The criteria is:

Closed style - less noise leakage back to microphone
Portability - folding is a plus
Accurate reproduction and shouldn't color the sound too much
Does well un-amped for music from ipod

I'm trying to narrow my list down and want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.  I won't be able to listen to them all but I can probably arrange for the top six once a consensus is achieved.  This means I'm going to have to rely on the experience of forum members to pare this list down.  I appreciate the help and will post an excerpt in the forum when the book is finished.
[/size]

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 14
I had hoped to not influence this list but I guess I will get things started with my current choices in no particular order.

Small sized portables:
  1. Sennheiser HD 25-1-II
  2. Sony MDR-7506
  3. Sony MDR-7502
  4. Ultrasone ZINO
  5. Sennheiser PX 200-II
  6. AKG K 240 MK II
  7. Ultrasone PRO 550
  8. Shure SRH 440

Full size affordable:
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  2. ATH-A700
  3. DENON AH-D1001K
  4. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
  5. Phiaton PS 320
  6. AKG K 271 MK II
  7. Ultrasone HFi 780

Higher end:
  1. Ultrasone HFi 780
  2. Beyerdynamic T50P - small and portable but pricey
  3. Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A - also small and pricey
  4. DENON AH-D2000
  5. Phiaton MS 400

Criteria:  Closed headphones that are easy to drive from portable players and good for monitoring field recording.  Extra points for folding and portability.  Trying to narrow this down to 2-3 each category and make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Two more to add to your list...sony 7509hd as an upgrade to the 7506 and beyer dt250/80ohms. Not sure about the sony out of an ipod, though.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 14
I think the Sony 7509HD would require an amp but I haven't tried them yet.  Thats the real problem with the upper end headphones, most of them are made to be driven by amps.  That aspect limits this list a bit.  The sound coming out of a DSLR camera or HDVideo camera isn't at the same level as music coming out of an amp.  That's one of the reasons I think we can find some good recommendations that crossover nicely for iPod listening as well as for monitoring portable recording devices.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Nice article link.  I have been looking for more info on a couple of the cans listed in that article, especially Beats Studio.  I have a feeling they are mass marketing hype with too much base for filmmaking applications (and my tastes) but a lot of Hollywood types already own these cans so they are worth a look.  I'll dig into the article and see what helps.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 14
I got the M-50 specifically for the exact use you mention.  Monitoring video and also listening to music on the go.  They're perfect.  I think they sound better than almost all of the choices you mentioned, including all of the "high end" ones except for those I haven't heard. 

I don't think you need to give people this many options.  Most people would be stoked with the M50.  Balanced sound with enough bass to make most people happy. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 14
I really hope that the OP intends to purchase and use the headphones he will be recommending. Recommending headphones to use in the field for recording without personal experience would be a completely useless. You can have your check list of things that you may think work but without first hand experience in the field it's just empty.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I really hope that the OP intends to purchase and use the headphones he will be recommending. Recommending headphones to use in the field for recording without personal experience would be a completely useless. You can have your check list of things that you may think work but without first hand experience in the field it's just empty.

From my original post:

Quote:
I won't be able to listen to them all but I can probably arrange for the top six once a consensus is achieved

Thanks for your concern but if every author had to purchase every item mentioned in a book, there would be a lot of bankrupt authors.  My past experience doesn't include much time with closed headphones, that's the reason I asked for help narrowing my choices down based on Head-fi members collective experiences.  

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
I got the M-50 specifically for the exact use you mention.  Monitoring video and also listening to music on the go.

Thanks rythmdevils, first hand experience is exactly what I was looking for.  The M-50's are definitely on my short list, which for the book might end up being a budget recommend and one or two nice medium priced headphones.  I personally want to audition at least the top 6 and replace my loaner Sennheiser HD265's that I've been trying out.  They are fine for listening to podcasts and voice recordings but not impressive musically.  I probably expect too much from closed cans since I usually listen to music with my K701s.  I liked the wooden Denon's that I listened to briefly at the last Orange County meet up.  They were amazing but I'm sure they need to be amped and I would worry about taking wooden headphones into the field.

Just realized my avatar pic is me listening to those Denon's at the OC meet.  Kind of funny or ironic or something.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 14
well if you like your K701, you probably won't like the M50.  If you want a closed K701, check out the K271.  I actually prefer them to the K701 because they sound more natural to me.  Soundstage is obviously not as big, but they have a very similar airy, light sound to them. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi Whitney, do you know how well the K271 sounds un-amped or the difference between it and the K240 mkII?  Here's what Headroom has to say about the K240:

Quote:

The k240 remain fairly efficient full-size headphones at a 55 ohm impedance rating and should get clean, moderate-to-loud listening levels with most portable players like Mp3s players, iPods and laptop computers.

One more question since you are using a DSLR for video, do you also use an external recorder like the Zoom H4N or a Beacteck Preamp?

BTW, nice video on your site.  If you find yourself in LA at the end of September you should check out the HDSLR Filmmaking expo I'm producing.  Send me a PM and I will set you up as my guest and tell you about the twitter contest to win a Redrock Micro rig and Zeiss lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back