DT990 Pro 250ohm vs Q701 as part of PC/Console gaming setup - Noob needs some guidance!
Feb 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
So, I ended up going with DT990 pros, fiio E9, and a xonar DX 7.1 .  Thanks to some ebay best offers and ~$30 of amazon credit, I managed to get everything for under $300 new so, definitely "mission accomplished" for me price-wise.  I'll update one last time with my impressions once everything gets in if anyone is interested.

I'm in the same delima as you.  Are you happy that you went with the DT990 pro's? What Ohm setting did you go with and whats the difference between all of them?

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 27
Well, I've been using the DT990 Pro (250ohm) w/ Xonar DX and Fiio E9 for several months now and I've been quite happy with this setup.  The only real drawback I've found is that with the default settings on the Xonar software mixer, the mids are quite recessed and the treble was downright annoying.  Spending about 30 minutes in the Xonar mixer control panel tweaking settings helped me to alleviate about 98% of this.  On the Astro mixamp, I didn't seem to notice this effect nearly as much but, there's not much you can do to change the sound there.  Regardless, these are still a MAJOR step up from the A40's.   These headphones are going to be a bit bass and treble-forward no matter what you do but, I knew that going in and after my first couple hours using this setup, I stopped noticing it.  My gaming habits are probably 70% "immersive" gaming and 30% competitive and IMO, they work near-perfectly for this purpose.  The first time I heard the sonic boom of a Hyperion orbital drop in Borderlands 2, I actually thought someone was dropping heavy machinery outside my house until I actually saw the object in-game.  Playing dead space with these headphones has been a terrifyingly awesome experience.  When your character hears those random, creepy whispers, it actually sounds like someone just whispered right in your ear.  Positional audio has been solid (granted not as great as some other cans might be) and aside from players using some form of silence enhancement, I've yet to have someone sneak up behind me in BF3 or CoD without me hearing them first.  Naturally, watching blu-ray movies (especially action and sci-fi films) is an immersive experience as well.

Music-wise, being a warmer, more bass-heavy setup, dubstep and DnB sounds amazing.  I would even go as far to say that these headphone more than hold their own in Trance and even rock music.  They're at least head and shoulders above what I used to use.

Overall yes, I'm quite happy with my setup - especially considering what I paid for it.  Honestly, spending 10 minutes on google shopping/ebay/amazon and having priceblink or a similar plugin could probably get this setup for around $350-ish with zero hassle.  (And I would still be happy paying that price).  Some patience and low-balling ebay sellers will only drive that price lower.  I can't really think of a way to get more "bang for the buck" for my purposes.

In answer to your second question, assuming you're referring to just the ohm rating (impedance) of the different headphones, that basic gist is that higher-impedance headphones require more voltage to drive but, are more "tolerant" of higer-output impedance amplifiers and thus, less likely to experience distortion if you're not using an expensive, low output impedance amplifier.  Lower impedance headphones require less voltage to drive and are much more efficient but, require higher quality (and generally more expensive) low output impedance amps in order to drive them properly without distortion.  Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Impedance  and I'm sure people on here that are more educated than me could explain it better.
In practice, what I've found is that the DT990's can be driven straight off of my Xonar or from the mixamp but, they are quiet and a bit muddy.  With a ~$100 FiiO E9 driving them, they sound amazing.

Hope that helps and thanks again to everyone who posted to give advice!

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 27
Hmm i'm glad i found this thread! I'm currently using the Q701's but i think the DT990's would be a good contrast. I do find them VERY accurate, but some of the explosions and what not in BF3 have been very loud, and ear-pearcing even.. but not much UMPH to them. It's been a little bit disappointing, but i'm so appreciative of the accuracy its not a big deal.

I'm a little confused as to how the mixamp works? What console do you use it on?

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 27
The mixamp is essentially just a little receiver that does dolby headphone processing.  It takes RCA, Digital Coax, and Optical inputs if I remember correctly so, you can use it with any console or PC that utilizes one of those outputs.  Other than that, the only other thing it does is allow the user to adjust the voice chat volume in games relative to game audio and you can link multiple mixamps together to create a little closed voice chat network if several people take them to a LAN party.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #20 of 27
Ahhh i did some reading on them, especially in MLE's thread. Nice. I think i will be going this route aswell!

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 27
Thanks for all the info. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm going the PC route and I've decided to get the Sound Blaster Titanium XFi HD. Would this sound card provide enough power to properly drive q701 or dr990's?

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm going the PC route and I've decided to get the Sound Blaster Titanium XFi HD. Would this sound card provide enough power to properly drive q701 or dr990's?

I have the same sound card and the Q701's.  Definitely need an amp with the AKG and the DT990's if you really want them to sound their best. If you get the 32 ohm version of the DT990's, there shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 27
I have the same sound card and the Q701's.  Definitely need an amp with the AKG and the DT990's if you really want them to sound their best. If you get the 32 ohm version of the DT990's, there shouldn't be a problem.

That's where I'm kind of confused. I'm new to all of this so I don't know what the difference is. What makes the 32 ohm different from the 250 different from the 600?

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 27
Well I'm not buying both, I'm buying one or the other. But if that's what you meant, then why do you say that they're a waste? I honestly want to know. Do the ad700's need an amp?

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
Well I'm not buying both, I'm buying one or the other. But if that's what you meant, then why do you say that they're a waste? I honestly want to know. Do the ad700's need an amp?

I think he meant that either of these headphones are somewhat overkill if all you're doing is gaming.  To answer your question about impedance, basically the higher the rating, the more difficult it is to drive.  It's like putting low power batteries in a flash light, it'll work but you'll need a higher energy source for the brightest light.  Horrible analogy, I know, but you get the picture.

The AD700's don't really need an amp, they are very easy to drive.  They are great headphones for gaming, but they won't give you the fun/immersion factor as they do not have a lot of bass.  A lot of competitive gamers like this characteristic because the lack of bass lets them listen in on more important audio cues such as footsteps and etc.

If you're really set into buying a mid-fi headphone, I'm not sure the Q701's would be good for you.  You stated in the OP that you listen to electronic/dub step.  If you're a fan of bass, the Q701's might not satisfy you in that department.  I agree with some of the posters with their suggestion of the DT990's and the Fiio E9 combo.  They have great positional audio and have a good amount of bass.  Really comfy too!

Edited for lack of a better analogy.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
I agree with hailin.

I'd start with DT990 Pros as they are the most exciting, then the Q701. I don't like the HD598 outside of purely competitive gaming. The mids are exaggerated, and I find it thin sounding compared to the Q701 which does everything better, with the mids being more natural. The only reason to go with the HD598 is if you don't want to get a beefier amp for the Q701.

I honestly wanna give the DT990 Pros another chance, because it doesn't make sense for me to find it's bass uncomfortable, when I'm part basshead. The DT990 Pros should be the best value in their price range for any basshead. Sound quality worth $250 for almost $100 less.

haha "part bass head" I feel you there... since I now HATE extra bass outside of Techno... that being said I need to try the Annies q.q

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #27 of 27
For anyone else considering these two headphones, I wrote a comparison review that may be relevant: http://www.head-fi.org/t/656626/q701-vs-dt990-250-pro-review#post_9285700

However, I don't have any experience with using either headphone for gaming. Only music. I don't think the Q701 are particularly difficult to drive as long as you have some kind of amp that plugs into the wall. I don't know about the computer soundcards in particular, but the headphone jack on an average stereo receiver or preamp is plenty. An 18v CMOY worked decently enough, but the battery life was miserable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back