DT880, K702, HD600: A beginner audiophile's thoughts.
May 29, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #46 of 108

Quote:

The HD600 is less detailed and less bright than the K702 and DT880/600.

Could it be possible that both of those headphones have more in your face highs and the HD600 is how it's supposed to be? I have not listened to other open headphones in this price range such as the Grado 325, Ultrasone HFI 2400, or ATH-AD900, so I do not feel I can make a judgment such as that.

Based on the headphones used in this review, I feel that the HD600 does in fact have said veil.

Ever heard a pair of good speakers? The Senns are indeed how it's supposed to be. 
wink.gif

May 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #48 of 108

That confirms what my own speakers are telling me....and what another head-fi'er with even better speakers told me. More important, it confirms what my ears tell me when I listen to a lot of my CD's with the 702. "The music can't possibly have been mixed to sound this bright!" Listening to 'Rubber soul' by the Beatles was almost painful with those. but some folks obviously like a lot of high end in their music....some people like a lot of garlic in their spaghetti sauce too... 'different strokes for different folks'
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ever heard a pair of good speakers? The Senns are indeed how it's supposed to be. 
wink.gif

May 29, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #49 of 108
I notice that the further back you put the HD600's on your head (and thus your ear canal towards the front, if you understand :p), the more apparent a "veil" becomes.  I don't know how people can call these veiled - if there was any more treble, my ears would hurt, but oh well.

May 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 108
The mids can have a 'veil' too. Other phones I've heard have better clarity and detail in the mids (less veil), but none have better overall balance,.... without over or under-emphasis in any one area.

Quote:
I notice that the further back you put the HD600's on your head (and thus your ear canal towards the front, if you understand :p), the more apparent a "veil" becomes.  I don't know how people can call these veiled - if there was any more treble, my ears would hurt, but oh well.

May 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 108

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I see that some actually prefer the K271 mkii to K701/2, the latter has more details but the K271 has a sweeter mid and easier to get good result. I don't get this feeling from your review though. May I know your view ?

your assessment is correct.  with the K271 you can also roll Beyer pads to tune and experiment with different flavors.

May 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #52 of 108

Quote:
I don't know what speakers you're listening to, but they're the wrong ones :p

If your speakers sound bright they are certainly unusual. :p speakers are inherently darker than headphones even with a flat FR because the higher frequencies cancel out. 

May 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #53 of 108

O.K. people....might be a good time to put your cards on the table.
wink.gif
What speakers are you comparing to the 580/70X? Mine are the Event Alp5.....great review in Sound on Sound Magazine and a 'best buy' in Music Tech magazine (I think it was). They're nothing really outstanding though. they're pretty low end/low priced. But I've heard similar comments from people with very good speakers. the highs dissipate faster than the lows and mids in the air between the speaker and your ears.
Quote:
If your speakers sound bright they are certainly unusual. :p speakers are inherently darker than headphones even with a flat FR because the higher frequencies cancel out. 

May 30, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #54 of 108

Quote:
O.K. people....might be a good time to put your cards on the table.
wink.gif
What speakers are you comparing to the 580/70X? Mine are the Event Alp5.....great review in Sound on Sound Magazine and a 'best buy' in Music Tech magazine (I think it was). They're nothing really outstanding though. they're pretty low end/low priced. But I've heard similar comments from people with very good speakers. the highs dissipate faster than the lows and mids in the air between the speaker and your ears.

The 702 sounds like the all the good monitor speakers, Focal,  Adams, included the Wharfedale speakers. This is why many mastering engineers prefer the 70X over other hps. If you what to understand better what is the Senn dark veil you should try the HD-800 that are on the opposite sides to the HD- 580/600/650 models.

lol, The 580/650 sound like my old Cerwin Vega floor speakers from the 80's. The 600 sounds a little better because is more FR balanced compare to the annoying low mids, and the roll off treble of the 580/650.

BTW, the Event Alp5 have problems to reproduce bass,  5 inch speakers cannot reproduce under 50hz, some of them cant even reproduce under 80hz.

May 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #55 of 108
Acix:
Thanks for sharing your own experience with good monitors. I can't argue with what you are hearing. My old favorite, the 240DF definitely has more forward highs than the hd580. I find it too much for my taste....with MY music collection....and with MY set up (dac and amp probably tilted toward the bright end of the spectrum). One mastering engineer with a very successful track record uses the hd650 exclusively. So people obviously hear differently...and have different preferences. If we all heard the same, then all CD's would be well mixed/mastered, but that's not the case obviously. Any other speaker owners want to chime in?

May 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #56 of 108

Maybe you should start a new thread regarding speakers.  This is about the OP DT880, K702, HD600  comparaison.

Quote:
Acix:
Thanks for sharing your own experience with good monitors. I can't argue with what you are hearing. My old favorite, the 240DF definitely has more forward highs than the hd580. I find it too much for my taste....with MY music collection....and with MY set up (dac and amp probably tilted toward the bright end of the spectrum). One mastering engineer with a very successful track record uses the hd650 exclusively. So people obviously hear differently...and have different preferences. If we all heard the same, then all CD's would be well mixed/mastered, but that's not the case obviously. Any other speaker owners want to chime in?

May 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #57 of 108
Not a bad idea....but we're comparing the highs of the hd600 and the 702, so I think it's appropriate to compare them with studio monitor speakers....and any comments on the 880 are naturally appreciated as well.

May 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #58 of 108
Quote:

I've heard NHT (own SZ and Classic 2's), Paradigm, Martin Logan, Focal (owned in past), and quite a few others.  The only "speaker" that even resembles the Senns that pops to mind are certain B&W models that have a bit of bloat in the bottom end.  For "bright" speakers only certain Kilpsch and low-end B&W come to mind . . . which sound closer to say Grado.

May 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #59 of 108

Your comment about low end bloat was aimed at the 650 I'm assuming? Or are you saying the hd600 is bloated in the low end too? Wasn't the hd600 used as a reference phone for mastering classical albums? Only hearsay, but I've read that more than once....also FWIR it was the preferred phone of Steve Hoffman, a well known AE who worked on many famous albums....at least it WAS, at one time....he probably moved up to the hd800 by now.
Quote:

I've heard NHT (own SZ and Classic 2's), Paradigm, Martin Logan, Focal (owned in past), and quite a few others.  The only "speaker" that even resembles the Senns that pops to mind are certain B&W models that have a bit of bloat in the bottom end.  For "bright" speakers only certain Kilpsch and low-end B&W come to mind . . . which sound closer to say Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back