DT880, K702, HD600: A beginner audiophile's thoughts.
May 22, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 108

Quote:
That really doesn't mean anything. They all sound totally different in every way...despite that graph. IMO

Thought it might be helpful. I guess not...

May 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #33 of 108

Thanks for the replies and comments everyone!

Quote:
Nice addition with all the pictures. Gotta say, the K702 looks the best of all. I forgot how nice those look and think I like them over the K701.

I'm also liking your 2 hour listening test. Great idea! I was going to do something like that to really get comfort across the board. But that is the exact reason I've done a "Initial Comfort" section and a "Long Term Comfort" section in some of my reviews. Because nearly every headphone I've had feels nice at first, but their nasty side turns up after a given amount of time. I couldn't wear the DT880 or K701 for that long, anywhere from a 1/2 - 1 hour before irritation. HD650 was probably 2 hours at max before the earpads bugged the crap out of my head. Any who, comfort is best measured in time, and not initial feel.

I also like the look of the K702 more, and the detachable cable is nice.

Agreed, I thought the DT880 headband was the best of the group at first, but over time the soft pads on the HD600 were just so comfortable by comparison. I actually read your DT880 vs DT990 review when I was trying to determine which to try, and in conjunction with other reviews it was pretty obvious the 990 wasn't even worth trying for me.

Quote:
Thanks for the review and I wish we had more like this. The K702 is hard for some to like. I love mine, but it took me awhile to appreciate it. It has some piercing treble out of the box. Strangely, I never had that problem with the DT-880 250 ohm or 32 ohm. The bass on the K702 definitely improves after 80-100 hours of burn in. The treble also smoothed out for me. I think a lot of people give up on the K702 too easily.

If you liked the K702 somewhat but hated the bumps, you should try the K601 sometime. It's similar to the K702, but has no bumps, is more comfortable, clearer and more detailed than the HD-600, has a better soundstage and is even quite non-fatiguing. It just doesn't have the treble of the K702 and still isn't quite as detailed, but close. To me the K601 has the more forward sounding mids, but some may disagree. Music I find a bit more fun to listen to on the K601, but some music is better on the K702. The K601 is kind of a mix between a laid back headphone and something a little more energetic. I've found it has a tad more bass than the K702 too.

The E9 is a nice amp for the money, but the K702 benefits even more from an even better one. My K601 really didn't, but the K702 did. Of course the K702 is still perfectly fine with the Fiio E9. BTW the K601 sounds great out of the E9...K702 is quite good from the E9, but not great.

I wondered about the K601 having seen a few threads about it. I'm not adverse to having multiple pairs of headphones, I just couldn't afford an additional pair right now. Hopefully they'll still be available in a few months. They do look comfortable, considering I like the headband on my K271. 

Quote:
That really doesn't mean anything. They all sound totally different in every way...despite that graph. IMO

I agree. There's definitely more to it than frequency response, although I do think that huge peak on the DT880 is noticeable.

May 24, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #36 of 108

Quote:
Many post on this forum mention the Sennheiser 'veil' but nobody quantifies or qualifies it. Is this a bit like the placebo affect where you put a pair of Senns on your head and you will hear the 'veil'?

The HD600 is less detailed and less bright than the K702 and DT880/600.

Could it be possible that both of those headphones have more in your face highs and the HD600 is how it's supposed to be? I have not listened to other open headphones in this price range such as the Grado 325, Ultrasone HFI 2400, or ATH-AD900, so I do not feel I can make a judgment such as that.

Based on the headphones used in this review, I feel that the HD600 does in fact have said veil.

May 24, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #37 of 108

Quote:

The HD600 is less detailed and less bright than the K702 and DT880/600.

Could it be possible that both of those headphones have more in your face highs and the HD600 is how it's supposed to be? I have not listened to other open headphones in this price range such as the Grado 325, Ultrasone HFI 2400, or ATH-AD900, so I do not feel I can make a judgment such as that.

Based on the headphones used in this review, I feel that the HD600 does in fact have said veil.

Funny... all the hps that you've mentioned sounds more open and detailed compared to the Senn veil. Wait... the lame excuse will be they are more bright, and of course most of the hps on the high end market are more bright compare to the Senn Darth Veil.

lol, try out the HD-800, and see if is "how it's supposed to be"
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 108
Thanks for the review. I see that some actually prefer the K271 mkii to K701/2, the latter has more details but the K271 has a sweeter mid and easier to get good result. I don't get this feeling from your review though. May I know your view ?

May 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #39 of 108

Quote:
Thanks for the review. I see that some actually prefer the K271 mkii to K701/2, the latter has more details but the K271 has a sweeter mid and easier to get good result. I don't get this feeling from your review though. May I know your view ?

I agree that the K271 is easier to drive if that's what you mean by getting a good result.

While the K271 has nice mids, the K702 extends both higher and lower with more detail. It is simply the better set of cans if you can use open headphones, the headband works for you, and they are not fatiguing. It's difficult to describe, but I would say that both of them have the same tone or sound style. I do not believe those are the right terms, though. Perhaps sound signature?

I honestly just threw the K271 in here for fun. I wouldn't compare them if I was planning to make a purchase, because if I needed a closed set of headphones, there wouldn't be a point in researching open headphones. However, if you're looking for a closed set of cans that's light on the bass compared to most, the K271 is a great choice. 

May 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #40 of 108
Interesting write up! I was torn between the hd600/580 and the dt880 and now I can be happy knowing I made the right choice going for the hd580. the last thing I wanted was another bright headphone with in your face treble....and the somewhat recessed mids of the Beyer.  The detail is wonderful on the 702, but I got tired real quick of 'over the top' cymbals on almost every track....and excessive brightness. Just my subjective taste perhaps but I doubt that's how the music was mixed to sound. A guy I met on another forum who mastered a lot of albums for well know artists swears by the hd650 ....not a bright headphone by any means, FWIR.

May 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #41 of 108
Wow! This was a very interesting and well presented review. Perfect for Sunday morning with good coffee :wink: . I've been there done that too and end up with two set of open can to satisfy my needs in music. I started with the K701 and was impressed with the detail, clarity of the high and the enormous sounstage. I have to say that mine were use and had well over 300 hours at the time and the bass was acceptable for me. That bass Got even better in impact and resolution with the Stephan Audioart cable. I then got curious to try other and compared the HD600 and at the time the K701 won with the greater detail and high and I didn't found that the AKG lost in the Bass department. I end up selling the K701 and got the DT990/600 but could not get use to the lack of mid and the Bass was to dominant for me so traded them and got the DT800/600 instead. As you have described them they have very good detail the mid was better then 990 and Bass was acceptable but for me they were not musical enough and find them lifeless. So next to the my present headphones, HD650 with Silver cable and Alessandro MS2i. So far these two answer my expectation with different style of music and for me they both give high level of musical enjoyments.

Good luck with your decision and one thing I can guaranty is that it would not be your last comparison in search of the perfect headphone. This is what make this hobby so interesting. :p

May 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 108

Can a graph show anemic or 'plasticy' mids?
biggrin.gif
Looks can be deceiving. How many posts have we had on this forum where it's been stated that these graphs can't be totally trusted? A hundred maybe....maybe more? (a rhetorical question)

Quote:
This graph will get a few things straight....

May 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #45 of 108
Same amp with many other phones = no plastic.  I suppose your point may have some validity though.  I was quoting another head-fi'er who has heard the 70X with very high quality amplification. Personally I don't hear the 'plastic' part.....just overly light weight and diffuse sounding mids...with an upper mid/low treble peak. Nothing like the mids on the dt48 for example .. those are anything but lightweight or 'plastic'....nothing like the hd600 mids or even the k240DF. No plastic or anemia with those and the LD mkV amp.

Quote:
Plastic mids....maybe with your amp.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back