DT880 bass impact kicks JUST as hard as HD650
Jun 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #32 of 46
ok, comparing leeches by in flames dt880 vs hd650 i'd say the kick drums are maybe 7% more present in the HD650 at the same percieved loudness. Nothing like 3x more noticeable.

The guitars do seem quite a lot more prominent but that might be the midrange more than the mid-bass?

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #33 of 46
again sticking with the In Flames song Leeches - I used the 'Deep' EQ setting on my iPod, and A/B'd between my HD650 and DT880 using this setting.

Whilst both now had deep rumbling sub-bass (comparable to an un-eq'd Audio Technica M50s) - the difference was that the low end of the guitars sounded MASSIVE and impactful on the HD650 whilst they still sounded a shade light on the DT880.

So is that where the mid-bass emphasis truly is on the HD650 - more on the guitars than the drums?

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #34 of 46
Depends on the drums.  Midbass humps are usually targeted for drum impact, except for the reverb of a kickdrum, which  tends to moreso lie in the 40-60hz region.  Bass guitars can definitely have more body and presence to them with an eq that raises the deep-low frequencies. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #35 of 46
The answer is in the treble. 
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #40 of 46
If you are trying to EQ the DT880 down to HD650 level then you are better off getting a different set of headphones.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #42 of 46
the point of this thread is to get more impressions of people with both the HD650 and the DT880 2005 to give their impressions of the relative bass performance of both.

I've said that I'm finding my HD650 to have roughly the same bass impact, quantity and extension as my 2005 DT880 and I want to find out whether or not more people are finding this, as I'm not 100% certain that my HD650's are genuine, thus my impressions may be false.

So I'd still much appreciate more opinions on bass performance of HD650 vs DT880...

And WHAT sticks out more with the HD650 (body, transients, weight, impact...etc...) and what sounds recessed...T

Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #43 of 46
dude bottomline, stock cable & decently amp'd, IMO DT880-600 has deeper bass extension with better articulation. HD650 mite have a debateable edge with a slightly more midbass impact.

highs are definitively more extended & detailed with a airy sparkleness on the beyers.

mids are most definitely lusher sweeter fuller & more engaging on the senn.

for me, i never did warm up to the DT880s & though i still find faults with the hd650, its still in my collection with more than a fair share of time on my noggins. nuff said. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #44 of 46

Quote:
dude bottomline, stock cable & decently amp'd, IMO DT880-600 has deeper bass extension with better articulation. HD650 mite have a debateable edge with a slightly more midbass impact.

highs are definitively more extended & detailed with a airy sparkleness on the beyers.

mids are most definitely lusher sweeter fuller & more engaging on the senn.

for me, i never did warm up to the DT880s & though i still find faults with the hd650, its still in my collection with more than a fair share of time on my noggins. nuff said. 

cheers, ok if this is really your finding than I think it should be made more known.

The HD650's are almost universally known here as 'dark' and 'bassy' yet the darkness comes mainly from lack of treble emphasis.

The DT880 are almost universally known here as 'bright' and 'lacking bass' but when you plop them on your head, there is a MAJOR difference compared to the HD650 but almost none of that difference is from the bass. It comes instead from a very different midrange (more scooped sounding) and treble (more emphasized).

I have no idea why it is commonly repeated on here that the DT880 are lacking bass. Even compared to a headphone frequently mentioned as bassy they are not lacking bass. Very misleading imo.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 46
to this mans ears, a well amp'd DT880-600 does not lack bass - atleast not in extension. indeed for me, the beyers bass is better than the HD650s. what it does lack is bass body which when combined with its thinner mids (incomparo to hd650) makes the cans sound lite weight in comparison.

OTOH my HD650 doesnt sound dark nor bassy though an underamp'd 650 mite fit that description. in my rig, my 650 sounds neither dark nor bassy. infact i find my 650s bass a tad 'lite'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back