DT880 bass impact kicks JUST as hard as HD650
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
Download 'Slam' by Pendulum (the album it's on, 'Hold Your Colour' is available free on filestube at 320kbps) and test this for yourself. For me on my setup (320kbps mp3 -> ipod line out -> Fiio E9) the bass is exactly the same on HD650 as it is on DT880 (2005 version). The DT880 seems to play quieter so you have to turn it up a couple of notches to compare equally.

The kick drums have the same impact, the basslines go just as deep - in fact the bass is totally identical on the HD650 as it is on the DT880. I'm starting to believe that the only difference between these 2 headphones are in the mids (more forward on the HD650) and the treble (more recessed on the HD650).

EVERYTHING I've read comparing the DT880 and the HD650 thus far has pointed to a superior bass performance (quantity, quality, impact, extension) on the HD650 but I've can truly say I don't hear it.

I'm really thinking my HD650 must be defective or a fake (different drivers in them) so could you guys test out a bass-heavy track like Slam by Pendulum and see for yourselves whether you get the same impression.

Thanks in advance!!

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 46
I got the DT 880 (600ohm). I initially found them to be a little bit lacking in the bass department, but the more I listen to them, the more the bass comes to life, is enjoyable and feels present, but always without feeling intrusive.

I've been using my DT 880 for about ~4 months now (~8 hours a day), and I wouldn't change anything about these headphones.

And keep in ming that the bass tends to improve on these headphones over time.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 46
You're not noticing a difference because the bass you're listening to is a digital sample. I mean, it's only "one sound". A sampled kickdrum. There's no musicality or extension in the sample itself. Listening to acoustic instruments with a lot of bass (horns, cello, organ etc) will definitely showcase the extension. Their timbre allows for more "hidden" frequencies to be uncovered by a headphone that can.

Btw, the DT880 is much brighter than the Sennheiser in my opinion.  

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 46
HD650 doesn't have "reduced treble". It's all kinda relative. I actually find them pretty natural sounding. They're darker than the HD580/HD600 though. The DT880 has a pretty hefty treble peak around 9khz which I still have trouble adjusting to. Bright enough to scare vampires. 

Organ concertos (like on the Macintosh audiophile releases) are great ways to check out bass extension. Drone music like Sunn 0))) too. Oh and find a FLAC rip for the latest Kryptic Minds album. Should give you a good impression of how deep electronic bass can go. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 46
I think it's all going to depend on albums.
Some albums and artists have bass other albums really mix the bass down sometimes you wonder why they even bother having a bass player and the only way you hear that bass is with speakers or Ultrasone headphones in my experience and even sometimes then it's barely there.

If you look at headroom's graph the DT 880 and HD 650 are almost identical until you get to the treble region then that's where they go apart from each other.

Your source could also being playing a big role.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 46
I listened to Leeches by In Flames and on the DT880 the bass does not hold much impact, but on the HD600 it has much more body and slam to it. I would say the HD600 has about 3x the bass impact and body than what the DT880/600Ohm has. I believe the HD650 would have much more impact as well. 

Quote:
someone please A/B the HD650/DT880 with a bass heavy track, focusing on bass performance and tell me the results, cheers

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 46
cheers that's the sort of thing I've been after all this time, would be grateful if anyone else can do a comparison like this

but THREE TIMES more, are you serious? That seems a huge difference and are you talking mainly mid-bass or sub bass.

What in the track sticks out more on the HD650 - the lower end of the guitars? the kick drums? the bass guitar?

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 46
Keep in mind that almost all of the writing you'll see on audiophile forums are esoteric and exaggerated for the sake of clarity when it comes to comparing hardware.

Try some more tracks for yourself to compare the bass kick of hd650 and dt880.  If you want one with pronounced and real bass drum, try modest mouse's world at large.  Bass kicks in a couple minutes in.  One with synthetic bass, but plenty of good punch, try Chamilionare's Ridin.  Both of those songs shake my head and neck when I use DT990 and have a slight EQ for bass.  Another song with lots of bass drum-- Interpol's Success, though the bass on that one doesn't have near the impact as the former two.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 46
Well, Hold Your Colors don't have much bass impact to begin with. You need to test a bass heavy/sub-bass song such as Young Jeezy - Put On(I know, not the best kind of music) or Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip. 

There's a thread somewhere with lots of bass songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back