DT880 + AV Receiver from a cheap HTiB?
Aug 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TerryM

New Head-Fier
I need a set of headphones for use strictly with my desktop PC --- for listening to music, and also for watching movies on blu-ray.  My budget is on the low end of $250.  After much research, I think the Beyerdynamic DT880 may be the best choice at that price range.

Unfortunately, I have no dedicated amp.  I would have to plug the headphones through my cheap Onkyo HTiB AV Receiver (HT-R557).  I have looked at the specifications for the receiver, and can't figure out which version of DT880 would be appropriate for it (32 or 250 or 600 ohm)... or if the DT880 is even appropriate at all.

Perhaps I'll be better off just going amp-less with a Sennheiser HD598?  Or something else?  Sorry for such noobish questions.  But after 2 sleepless nights on Google, my head is spinning from information overload.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Receiver = Amp + DAC that's more convenient then a stand along Headphone Amp/DAC

Keep the Receiver, drop the Beyer, go for the HD598 because they still need a amp to be driven well. The HD598 are a whole lot funner then the 880 IMO

Buy the HD598 by calling up J&R for $180 shipped

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I have DT880 600ohm that I have used with my onkyo Sr608 and they sound good. But it sounds better with my LDmkiii. I do got to say  these are not the best for movies, I prefer my M50s for that but I will definitely take my recently acquired pro900 for movie watching over just about anything... they make explosions actually happen

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep the Receiver, drop the Beyer, go for the HD598 because they still need a amp to be driven well. The HD598 are a whole lot funner then the 880 IMO

Buy the HD598 by calling up J&R for $180 shipped

I called J&R, and the price they gave me was identical to the price on their website ($199.95).  I don't suppose there's a secret password to get that $180 price...

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes, you should be able to use a DT880 with your receiver. Being solid state, the headphone jack will have a low output impedance. It will work with any model of DT880 you prefer.

To clear one thing up, receivers don't traditionally have internal DACs. They're typically a preamp, power amp and radio tuner in one box. Some have a phonostage, which you need to run a turntable. DACs have been becoming more popular in new receivers. However, do not expect to find a DAC in older receivers. (You can always connect a DAC to an old receiver.)

As for the HD-598... I've never liked Senns aside from the HD-580/600/650 line, the HD-800 and their electrostats. I owned a DT-880 for a few years and loved it. I only sold it to help finance the HD-800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back