DT 770 PRO 250 ohm DAC+amp or external sound card
Sep 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cmander10

Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting the DT 770 PRO 250 ohm for instrumental/classical music and some movie watching.  Mainly getting 770 for the comfort, bass (I like some impact), and closed feature.  I am in a dorm so my only source is a Lenovo T530 laptop.  I am looking for an amp+DAC/external sound card under $80 to properly power the 770 if possible.  Some of the devices I have found so far are the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB, Fiio E7, and Fiio E10.  I want something that can be directly plugged via USB and not have to run on battery (even though it could have a battery, it would just have to be able to be used and charged at the same time, but I don't care about portability).  What amp+DAC/external sound card would suit me?  On the other hand, would the 80 ohm version sound better than the 250 ohm using an amp+DAC/external sound card in my price range (or a different closed headphone under $250 like SRH940 or PRO 750, even though they are less comfortable and they have less bass impact I think).

Any advice if appreciated!

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Some of the devices I have found so far are the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB, Fiio E7, and Fiio E10.

Of these, I would choose the E10, but I do not know enough about the X-Fi HD to compare it to the other two. The E7 is recommended only if you need portable (battery powered) operation.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't necessarily want one of those three devices.  If you know of a different amp+DAC device close to my budget that you prefer that would be great. Would the E10 properly power the 250 ohm and would the 250 ohm perform better than the 80 ohm with an amp in my budget?

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 8
With a budget of $80, I cannot suggest anything that will outperform the E10 as a DAC+amplifier combination for sure, but maybe others can. It is enough to power the DT770-250 for many people (including me), using the high gain mode if necessary, but it really depends on the dynamic range of the music you listen to, and the level of volume you prefer. Using the bass boost feature (which you might not need with a DT770) would also increase the required amount of power.

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 8
So would there be a significantly better amp for around $130, or would it have to be something like $300 (which is way out of what I would spend).

Also, it seems the budget battle is between the E10 and X-Fi HD.  If anyone has compared both and can give me some advice that would be great.  I can get both for the same price.  Otherwise, I will continue to search the forums on this.

P.S.  I have the Sound Blaster Extigy http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-Extigy/dp/B000062TTF/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347134985&sr=1-34&keywords=sound+blaster+x-fi+hd at home if that is worth having brought to my dorm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back